Scott Sutton Released

WeirdAlORU

I believe the documents that the media guys are now referring to are the "Recruiting Evaluation Guidelines" and the "Recruiting Evaluation" forms.  They have the appearance of a grade-report, with a grading scale for different levels of evaluation.  I don't recall any of these guys referring to the Honor Code as the "test".   The link to these forms is in an earlier post on this thread.   I heard Jim Traber on a rant about this, and these were the forms he was reading from...

Mike Carter made clear these forms are filled out by the coach recruiting the kid and the decision to award a scholarship to that kid rest solely in the athletic department and more importantly, it is basically the coaching staff's call.  Further, Mike Carter made it clear that you DO NOT have to be a Christian to be awarded an athletic scholarship or be on one of our athletic teams.  BTW, this applies to ALL our athletic programs.  My point being that our baseball team does not seem to have a problem with this or have their hands tied by it.

• Upvote 4

Today in chapel, President Wilson talked about an event that took place at ORU on Monday: the release of men’s basketball head coach Scott Sutton.

Please click on this link to hear what President Wilson had to say.

• Upvote 2

ORU has really gotten itself into some trouble over the years trying to prove that everyone at ORU is a perfect Christian. 

TheEagleman wasn't perfect....but I was close....those beers I used to drink at Shotgun Sams were my weakness....;-)

• Upvote 1

Some great observations on this board about the press conference.  After the press conference, I see things much more clearly.

The big mistake that ORU made was not firing Scott Sutton right after the season.  They could have simply sat down with Scott and told him it was over.  After the abysmal season, where the team seemed to get worse over the course of the year, it was justified.  I am sure they wish they would have done that now.

IMHO, I believe Billy Wilson/Mike Carter felt that rather than firing Scott right away, they should at least give Scott Sutton the opportunity to coach for another year.  This might allow him to line up another opportunity that he could transition to without having to be fired, thereby helping him to save face.  While this may have been a somewhat naive approach, I believe they were trying to "do right" for Scott since he had meant a lot to ORU over the years.

Instead, that simply allowed Scott and Sean to get a plan together to try to make ORU look as bad as possible by releasing information that they knew would be misconstrued by the media and paint ORU in a very bad light.  Mission accomplished!  It is clear that the Suttons are the ones who have released all this information through multiple surrogates.    

While no one likes to get fired, ORU gave Scott an opportunity to be an assistant coach when he had no experience, and ORU gave Scott the head coaching opportunity when he was very green and somewhat socially awkward.  They took a chance and put a lot of faith in him.  Then they hired Sean 7 years ago when he was radioactive and allowed him to fully establish that he was sober and had moved past the addiction issues that plagued him previously.  They also paid them very well, and this is how they return the favor.

I can assure you that there will probably never be a "Scott Sutton" night at a home game down the road, and I definitely do not think Eddie Sutton will be attending that Bible study with Mike Carter anymore.  The Suttons could have taken the high road in this situation, but instead they chose the low road.  That is a foolish choice for Scott and Sean, who will each be hoping to get hired by another AD to continue their coaching careers.  Don't think for a second that any AD won't think twice about hiring either of them after how they have thoroughly thrown ORU under the bus. 

• Upvote 6

Well stated Jason, it hits the nail right on the head.  That is what I was referring to early when I posted about Scott Sutton trashing his own players when it was put out there that his "hands were tied" by either a "faith test" or some tattoo issue which prohibited him from getting really good players.  By allowing that myth to continue, logically he was indirectly insulting his current players insinuating that they did not have enough talent to keep him out of the cellar in the Summit. 

Secondly, as more of this filters out it becomes clearer that the Suttons worked to put out through surrogates insinuations about our program and university.  Hind sight is always 20/20.  I too believe that Mike Carter and Pres. Wilson were trying to do the right thing and create ways for Scott to go out with a positive spin or give him time to arrange another job elsewhere to save face.  Clearly this process was going on for quite some time.  Equally clear is the fact that the Suttons chose not to work with us but instead prepare an assault upon our University.  At the end of the day, Scott Sutton tanked our program.  Pres. Wilson is right, the slide into mediocrity/oblivion has been going on for quite some time.  Perhaps Mike Carter and Pres. Wilson should have entered Scott Sutton's office the day after our last game this year, told him to gather his belongings and leave, all the while having Campus Police at their sides.  You may laugh but I have seen that done in the business world on more than one occasion.

It is also clear that the Suttons had their version and surrogates/puppets ready to go as soon as this all went down on Monday.  As a matter of fact, the local press in Tulsa is still trying to spin the story to make ORU look bad.

55 minutes ago, ORUJason said:

Some great observations on this board about the press conference.  After the press conference, I see things much more clearly.

The big mistake that ORU made was not firing Scott Sutton right after the season.  They could have simply sat down with Scott and told him it was over.  After the abysmal season, where the team seemed to get worse over the course of the year, it was justified.  I am sure they wish they would have done that now.

IMHO, I believe Billy Wilson/Mike Carter felt that rather than firing Scott right away, they should at least give Scott Sutton the opportunity to coach for another year.  This might allow him to line up another opportunity that he could transition to without having to be fired, thereby helping him to save face.  While this may have been a somewhat naive approach, I believe they were trying to "do right" for Scott since he had meant a lot to ORU over the years.

Instead, that simply allowed Scott and Sean to get a plan together to try to make ORU look as bad as possible by releasing information that they knew would be misconstrued by the media and paint ORU in a very bad light.  Mission accomplished!  It is clear that the Suttons are the ones who have released all this information through multiple surrogates.    

While no one likes to get fired, ORU gave Scott an opportunity to be an assistant coach when he had no experience, and ORU gave Scott the head coaching opportunity when he was very green and somewhat socially awkward.  They took a chance and put a lot of faith in him.  Then they hired Sean 7 years ago when he was radioactive and allowed him to fully establish that he was sober and had moved past the addiction issues that plagued him previously.  They also paid them very well, and this is how they return the favor.

I can assure you that there will probably never be a "Scott Sutton" night at a home game down the road, and I definitely do not think Eddie Sutton will be attending that Bible study with Mike Carter anymore.  The Suttons could have taken the high road in this situation, but instead they chose the low road.  That is a foolish choice for Scott and Sean, who will each be hoping to get hired by another AD to continue their coaching careers.  Don't think for a second that any AD won't think twice about hiring either of them after how they have thoroughly thrown ORU under the bus. 

Really great post, Jason. From my perspective the Wilson/Carter strategy of giving him "options" was a bit of a cop out. It's easier to fire someone by offering the options they offered than to own the decision upfront and do it right after the season ends. For the Suttons this boiled down to entitlement. Being with ORU as long as Scott had, it's easy to start believing you're bigger than the institution itself but that's never the case. It wasn't the case for Richard, it wont be the case for Billy and clearly it isn't the case for Scott.

Oh well. Wilson and Carter are far from blameless but I'm not surprised by their behavior. I can't say the same for Scott. 

BTW, if you have not done so go to the link EaglesFan posted above from Pres. Wilson's address during Chapel today.  Between that and the press conference this afternoon you will really get a clearer picture of what happened.

• Upvote 1

TheEagleman agrees that both Suttons should have been let go a few days after the season ended....but do you really believe that they orchestrated a slander campaign against ORU?....please.... Scott Sutton has been nothing but a poster boy for this University and according to everyone I talk to he is a Godly man....sorry boys....I don't buy the above posts without a lot more proof....I still think Wilson is a weasel and Carter is a pawn....:n:

15 minutes ago, theeagleman5 said:

TheEagleman agrees that both Suttons should have been let go a few days after the season ended....but do you really believe that they orchestrated a slander campaign against ORU?....please.... Scott Sutton has been nothing but a poster boy for this University and according to everyone I talk to he is a Godly man....sorry boys....I don't buy the above posts without a lot more proof....I still think Wilson is a weasel and Carter is a pawn....:n:

not a slander campaign, but ORU gave him almost 48 hours to get his story out unanswered while they stayed silent.

the Sutton name carries big weight w/the OK sports media and they went full throttle in defense of the Suttons and willfully jumped to the worst conclusions of ORU.

Bill Haisten has been working this story for over a month and even attended the last game of the season.  that wasn't an accident, someone was feeding him info that all this was pending and a case of being wronged was being built.

absolute horrible public relations by ORU...

Sutton wants another job, of course he will be leaking the best spin possible on the decline of the program.  i can't blame him for that and i'm sure he felt that more time was owed.

• Upvote 3

I watched the entire press conference, and I heard nothing about a purported slander campaign by the Sutton's.  Where did this come from?  I think what we have here are some Wilson surrogates that are trying to spin the story. 

If Wilson would have handled this properly, both he and the University would have avoided all the negative press.  He did not handle the termination properly, but to attempt to shift the blame to the Sutton's, and further assassinate their character is absurd.

What I heard in the press conference was that Billy was too busy to reach out to Scott after he was terminated, and that he had been trying to get Scott fired since he became President.  (Is that similar to David and Uriah?)  Wow - this man is a real example of a leader for the students as well the Christian community in Tulsa.

Spin on Billy's boys, spin on.

For the record, I have had no contact with any member of the Sutton family, or any of their purported surrogate network. 

• Upvote 2

All it took was one pre-written statement that took almost three whole days to write and you guys have totally sold out to BW. 

• Upvote 3

23 hours ago, Bad Blood said:

By my count approximately a dozen journalists, both on the national and local level, have reported on the test after speaking with people inside of the department. Many likely spoke with Scott Sutton himself.

So, if you want to be that guy who believes what he wants to believe in the face of credible people bringing evidence to the contrary, well, that's quite popular in our country at the moment, but you won't end up on the right side of history.

How will I survive on the wrong side of history? :smiling-face-open-mouth-tight-closed-eyes:

3d9IfKXp69F_7r1iAjIDAuXVMEQ=.gif

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Bad Blood said:

All it took was one pre-written statement that took almost three whole days to write and you guys have totally sold out to BW. 

i believe Wilson completely screwed up this parting of ways and the tattoo ban whether temporary or not was just stupid. Sutton was owed a face to face meeting, not a voicemail and email.

however, i believe it was time for a new direction in men's basketball.  we will see if someone can win with the "whole person assessment."  Scott Sutton could not and it showed over the last few years.

7 D1 wins or only 5 conference wins will be an improvement.....a low bar was left behind for the next guy.

8 minutes ago, Dr. Cornelius said:

How will I survive on the wrong side of history? :smiling-face-open-mouth-tight-closed-eyes:

3d9IfKXp69F_7r1iAjIDAuXVMEQ=.gif

You don't seem like the type who cares about such things.

TheEagleman agrees DBL...Billy W. is a either a fool or a snake....I vote for snake and will side with Scott Sutton until somebody proves otherwise....its surely true that the Tulsa media dislikes ORU and would side with Scott....heck...the media never liked us 40 years ago either. Billy W. TOTALLY botched this entire situation and needs to be shown the gate ASAP....:puke: