Scott Sutton Released

WeirdAlORU

I can't see it....crap....so Wilson is there???....that's surprising....what do Mike and Billy the Snake have to say?....:|

Is it just me or did the explanation for letting Scott go sound like it had very little to do with his W-L record and more to do with "other factors"?

• Upvote 3

Carter mentioned that upwards of 40 applicants so far for the job. Around 10 candidates are being considered and narrowed down.

Made the point that the level of coaching talent applying is "surprising" and much higher than before (1999). Seemed to imply that some would be known names.

For one thing, there had been ongoing negotiations, which were not spelled out, that would allow Scott to stay for ONE YEAR of his two year contract, and ORU would buy out the final year.  He was NOT given the opportunity to coach beyond that.

Mike emphasized that not every athlete has to be a Christian when they arrive at ORU. They're evaluated on academics, social skills, athleticism, and spiritual life--10 points in each category. He said they can have 0 in spiritual--as long as they're open to the work of the Holy Spirit. Our preference, of course, he said, is to have a core group of Christians on a team so people will know what ORU stands for.

Yes, MC said there is no problem getting people to look at becoming our next MBB HC.  MC even stated at the end when he was no longer in front of the camera that current HCs had called him seeking the job.  

Just now, ORU82 said:

Yes, MC said there is no problem getting people to look at becoming our next MBB HC.  MC even stated at the end when he was no longer in front of the camera that current HCs had called him seeking the job.  

Noticed that as well.

Didn't catch the whole thing but here's what I heard:

• Scott was given a set of options to choose from that would have guaranteed his job for one more year. If he didn't take one of those options he understood that he would be terminated. 
  • They tried explaining away the fact that they didn't tell him in person because they were afraid it would leak. 
  • 40 applicants for HC.
    • Rodney is being considered.
    • MC says he's surprised by the quality of candidates. 10x's the quality of candidate as when Scott was hired 
    • Will have a hard time narrowing it down to 10. 
    • The pool includes current HCs 
  • MC said he wasn't a fan of having to play money games early in the season but due to things the program wanted to have, they had to do it. Does not know if that'll factor into future schedules. Depends on the HC. 
  • Haiston asked Wilson if he could walk about with him. Billy said... "No I don't think so..."
  • I thought MC did a good job of explaining the criteria that student athletes are evaluated by. 40 point system that includes how spiritually alive the student athlete is.  Said if they scored well in the other three areas they could score a zero on the spiritually alive section as long as they were open to the leading of the holy spirit. 
  • Upvote 2

I also took away that there is a commitment to make the program better and it was obvious at least to me that there was an acknowledgment that MBB is part of the "front porch" of our University and is important.  When asked, both Mike Carter and Pres. Wilson made clear there were no plans/thoughts whatever to go D-II.  

Wilson must be a stooge.....Mo?....Larry?...Curley?.....Shemp?....take your pick.....:stuck-out-tongue:

Can you imagine being 46 years old, having devoted nearly half your life to your employer and being told to go out and hire your replacement to be on your staff? Essentially, "We'll keep you on board for one more year so we don't have to pay you to stay at home." And they wondered why he said no?!?

• Upvote 1

I didn't hear the first part. Did anyone ask a question about salary?

The feed went out so I was unable to hear Wilson's opening statement.  I found two questions troubling.  First, Wilson was asked what Scott could have done to keep his job - he did not have an answer for that question - later he said something to the effect that if he had won three league championships, but went on to say that Scott was on a downward slope when he became President.

The second question that was asked to both Carter and Wilson was if they had reached out to Eddie Sutton or the Sutton family.  Mike said no, and Wilson basically said that his job was real busy and he has not had the time to do it - and added that he loved Scott and he would do it in the future.