Scott Sutton Released

WeirdAlORU

8 minutes ago, WingMaaaan said:

While there's plenty to blame MC and Billy for, I am disappointed in how Ben Johnson is communicating about this purported faith test. 

Johnson presents the document as if it's singularly about faith. Also by calling it a test, he makes it sound like there is a written form that the student athlete takes a number 2 pencil to and then turns in a scantron. In reality it's basically a survey that includes evaluating whatever the hell it means to be "spiritually alive". I get it. It's weird but it's not a test in the traditional sense of academic tests. ORU awarded scholarships include similar evaluations.

Failing Ben Johnson #sad

images.duckduckgo.com.gif

• Upvote 2

Larry usually leaves after 4 years....so the NCAA sanctions never seem to affect him......hopefully after SMU...he's finally done....we need to get a young aggressive coach who isn't married to a 4 guard offense....;-)

• Upvote 1

By the way.....this thread must be setting a new ORU Sports message board record.....we have had more posts in the past 48 hours than we've had in the past 2 years.....:hcsutton2:

is there video anywhere? missed the press conference.

why the "heck" did they wait 48 hrs to do this?

9 minutes ago, ORUalum said:

is there video anywhere? missed the press conference.

why the "heck" did they wait 48 hrs to do this?

Here is the full 25 minutes of the presser

• Upvote 2

thanks bogus.......good to see ORUathletics still has no clue on how to produce videos w/proper audio quality

We all signed the Honor Code, right? I know that when I tried to explain that idea to people I grew up with, they couldn't understand why anyone over 18 years of age would do something like that! I recall many people I grew up telling me that was ridiculous to do. They thought it was a faith test, and no one should do that to someone else--even if it is of their own free will.

is the Honor Code a "faith test"? Where did the specific words "faith test" come from? I do not recall the words from over 30 years ago. Where did "faith test" come from? It sounds likes a pejorative term? From ORU, from ORU-haters, social media ??

I looked at the Honor Code as a covenant I made with God. the ORU community and myself. So, when I signed it, it wasn't a test, but a covenant. I recall OR asking us to sign it in chapel and he said, "when I sign my name on the line. I mean it." Meaning, he wanted us to mean it, too.

But that's hard to explain to people who live with different thinking.

A test is pass or fail-you are either in or out--a covenant requires relationship and continually working out things with each other, in an honest way.

I admire Scott Sutton for working with that system through the years. A lot of coaches don't have the guts to do that!

I admire ORU for trying to keep it in place--in our secular American society.

Anyone know where "faith test" came from?

• Upvote 2

I remember my graduation speaker, Bob Hope calling ORU "West Point for Civilians." I guess, he was joking, don't know, but I think a lot of people think that is what ORU is.

Ha - I was in the class of 1983 with Bob Hope as my commencement speaker and I can't remember anything he said to us.

I assume that the term "faith test" came from someone in the media trying to understand the concept of standards and an honor code....

THANK GOD for Mike Carter cleaning up the Christian / Non-Christian stuff toward the end.

absolutely ridiculous that they let this simmer for 2 days while media and accusations ran wild. 

it did sound like there were other factors involved and Wilson was wanting to move on for some time

I just don't get the whole concept of accepting "only Christians" to begin with? Whether it's an athlete or just a regular student...

Isn't the whole point for us to win souls? I just don't get it? Never have, never will.

Some wise dude once said something about the sick needing a physician, not the healthy.

• Upvote 2

22 minutes ago, Cletus said:

Anyone know where "faith test" came from?

Local media which is %110 trash.

The way they are "covering" the press conference is telling.

4 minutes ago, oruvoice said:

I just don't get the whole concept of accepting "only Christians" to begin with? Whether it's an athlete or just a regular student...

Isn't the whole point for us to win souls? I just don't get it? Never have, never will.

Some wise dude once said something about the sick needing a physician, not the healthy.

That was a concept that only existed in Bill Haisten/Ben Johnson/John Holcolms minds.

I don't agree with ORU theologically. But lying and misrepresenting the facts and beliefs of others is pretty low.

• Upvote 2

Fake news abounds everywhere....but TheEagleman agrees that this press conference should have been held on Monday....so do you believe that Billy tried to contact Scott multiple times on Monday and got no response?...I don't....Wilson is not a truth teller. Coach Sutton is.....Billy must go!!!....:n: