Scott Sutton Released

WeirdAlORU

TheEagleman just watched the chapel video from yesterday that ORU emailed to me.....Billy W. did a nice job...he's a used real used car dealer......not sure that I buy most of it but this whole thing was just not handled well.....not sure what else to say....at this point what is done is done....I am sure Coach Sutton will enjoy a year off then find a job somewhere in basketball...I believe he is a good man with a ton of integrity and character....he is probably relieved to be gone.....and he will receive a nice severance check shortly so he won't be hurting financially....God Bless Coach Sutton....it remains to be seen what will happen to Billy Wilson but I think how he handled this whole thing reflects poorly on his leadership and decision making skills.....it's been an embarrassing week to be an ORU alum....:|

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Bad Blood said:

Where do you think Hoover and Haisten and Gottlieb's sources are coming from? Who gave Ben Johnson that document?

images.duckduckgo.com.jpg

:thinking::thinking:

• Upvote 1

I remember the Bob Hope graduation because I was working in the press room that day. We had wanted to have a press conference or something with Bob Hope, but he didn't want to do that. I especially remember that he left immediately after he gave his speech; I saw him moving fast down the hallway.

7 minutes ago, titansforever said:

I remember the Bob Hope graduation because I was working in the press room that day. We had wanted to have a press conference or something with Bob Hope, but he didn't want to do that. I especially remember that he left immediately after he gave his speech; I saw him moving fast down the hallway.

probably had a tee time at Southern Hills:D

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, titansforever said:

I especially remember that he left immediately after he gave his speech; I saw him moving fast down the hallway.

I saw him on the David Letterman show that night as we were driving home from ORU, in the hotel.

He mentioned that he was graduation speaker at ORU that day.

I guess that was why he was moving so fast--trying to get to New York.

Here's another picture with the Hope and OR going over what he was going to say. I guess OR didn't won't anything said that was too off track.

Blurry, but a picture from back in the day...

Bob Hope and Oral Roberts 2.jpg

1 minute ago, Cletus said:

I saw him on the David Letterman show that night as we were driving home from ORU, in the hotel.

He mentioned that he was graduation speaker at ORU that day.

I guess that was why he was moving so fast--trying to get to New York.

Here's another picture with the Hope and OR going over what he was going to say. I guess OR didn't won't anything said that was too off track.

Blurry, but a picture from back in the day...

Bob Hope and Oral Roberts 2.jpg

That makes sense. I wonder if he flew private or commercial? :smile: 

Bob Hope?....geez...in 1976 we got Bob DeVos....Founder of Amway and owner of the Orlando Magic.....I don't remember one thing he said....and now his wife is Trump's Secretary of Education......I still have the autographed Bible that OR gave me that day...it's in pristine condition...but he spelled my name wrong......:|

We had Bobby Parker of Parker Drilling in '77, I believe. He brought an eagle, and the eagle did a circuit of the arena without bumping into any of us...

Plus, we had Pat Robertson as baccalaureate speaker. Here he is receiving his honorary degree.

Rosey Greer also received an honorary degree that day from ORU. A few years ago I got him to sign the picture when our church attended a seminar where he spoke. He couldn't believe I had that picture. I told him we graduated together. I have that picture hanging at the church.

Most people don't believe me when I tell them about my graduation from ORU in 1983.

.58efb43178b93_PatRobertsonandOralRoberts.jpg.9b233efa3ab292dbd755b86ef0e73e0d.jpg

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, EaglesFan said:

Since when is the guy fired from a job – any job -- responsible for going public and managing the story-line? 

This is the part that's kind of amazing to me. Why would he help protect ORU after being fired?

If ORU had done the right thing from the beginning, then let the media spin all they want after the fact. If Billy/MC really thought this was handled correctly then there would have been no press conference yesterday. 

And after preparing months (years?) in advance for Sutton's ousting, Billy's excuse for the screw up has evolved from "We DID tell him, just not to his face" to "Well, we didn't tell him first, but it's his fault because we couldn't find him". Really?

I will say that the timing of the focus on tattoos and 'faith test' is curious, even if the first comments regarding these policies first surfaced months ago. The conspiracy theorist in me feels like this could have been done to move all of the blame for ORU's losing onto the administration. I kind of thought decisions like the amazingly short-sighted move to the Southland and then move back into the Summit would have been used, at least partially, as an excuse. 

But that would have shifted some of the blame to Carter and return the focus to Sutton's losing, which it seems some in the media are unwilling to do. 

• Upvote 1

JESSE JACKSON??????.....OMG!!!!.....that's just awful......:tmi:

THE BEAT GOES ON … Well, today the ORU/Sutton topic was still a focused issue on Oklahoma Sports Talk Radio.  Some was rehash, but more folks indirectly associated with the ORU sports history were vocal with their general disgust for how the whole subject has played out.  Some of the comments were:

Billy Wilson is the only guy on earth that doesn’t like Scott Sutton.  He decided years ago that Sutton was not OK.  Some of his comments in the press conference were asinine, ignorant and arrogant. (i.e., his dismissive comment about division one coaches losing their jobs every year – it’s routine…)  He doesn’t really get it, yet.  Fire Billy Wilson, as he does nothing to improve their image…”

John Hoover added a couple of events to the timeline of his article written last evening … Including a revised timeline of Monday events:  12:15 – Sutton’s Attorney calls to tell them Scott did not accept their proposal.  2:45 – Sutton is in his office at the Mabee Center for 2 hours after the call was made.  He then left and went to his daughter’s Tennis match.  4:15 – Meeting with Players.  4:30 – Press Release email released.  The point being, they had time to talk to him face to face in his office until 2:45.

“Scott Sutton was the epitome of an ORU guy … loyal, dedicated, and tenured.  ORU could not have asked for a better guy.  After 14 years, you have 2 bad years, and they eliminate him.  You blame the coach for the bad years …”

“What Billy Wilson doesn’t get is that when you fire Sutton in the manner they did, you in effect fire the community as well.  There is no more bond.  Like the Ken Hayes firing, it will affect their attendance for years.   This isn’t something that can be repaired … the ship has sailed and is beyond the horizon now.”

“The biggest problem I have is the way the firing was handled.  It was in the works for quite some time. You’ve had these conversations with him, including this asinine proposal to work a final year as a lame duck head coach, and be fired a year later, portraying it as somehow a really good deal for Sutton … And for a guy who has been with you for 20-years, give him a grace period to make the decision.  Treat him with respect.  Give him an opportunity to let this sink in.  Don’t rush out there at 4:00 on a Monday afternoon with an email press release announcing he is gone.”

“On the good side, with their public declaration that ORU will continue in Division one, and play at the highest levels, and produce championship contenders, and hire a replacement coach that will be better than Sutton was … Now they are committed to get there, and that will take more money and resources … So they will have to put their money where their mouth is.”

Those are today’s highlights from Radio-land…

The Franchise OK: The timeline between ORU and Scott Sutton: Here’s what really happened, and when

Oral Roberts University fired long-time basketball coach Scott Sutton on Monday. On Wednesday, ORU president Billy Wilson and athletic director Mike Carter staged a press conference to help explain their actions.

However, on Thursday, Franchise sources laid out a timeline of Sutton’s dismissal that doesn’t exactly match how ORU claims things unfolded, including a discrepancy as to when ORU informed the basketball team (before or after they informed Sutton) and why they say they couldn’t reach him throughout the day even though he was in his office at the Mabee Center until mid-afternoon.

Here’s what the sources said happened, and when:

• Sunday: Sutton meets with ORU leadership, which offers to let him coach next season and then resign, even though he has two years remaining on his contract. He is never told that if he doesn’t accept their offer, he will be fired.
  • Sunday/Monday: Sutton and his attorney discuss the terms of the offer before Sutton goes into work at his office at the Mabee Center.
  • Monday 12:45 p.m.: Sutton’s attorney tells ORU’s attorney that Sutton has rejected ORU’s offer.
  • Monday 2:45 p.m.: Sutton leaves his office at the Mabee Center.
  • Monday afternoon: ORU tries unsuccessfully to call Sutton.
  • Monday 4:15 p.m.: ORU leadership informs the basketball team that Sutton has been fired.
  • Monday 4:30 p.m.: ORU leadership sends Sutton voicemail & email, informing him he has been terminated.
  • Monday 4:57 p.m.: ORU sends press release to news media.
  • Monday 5:00 p.m.: Sutton’s wife gets a news alert on her cell phone that her husband has been fired.
Edited by Dr. Cornelius
formatting

The Board of Trustees needs to review Mr. Hoover's timeline and ensure that it is correct.  If it is found to be accurate, Billy Wilson should be fired IMMEDIATELY.  It is one thing to be incompetent, now it appears that he is also shown to be a liar.  The students, facility, parents, alumni, the Tulsa community, as well as Christian community nationwide are watching. People around the world are watching what is happening at ORU.  The integrity of OUR University is on the line.  Just as Esther was put in a position to save the nation of Israel, the Trustees are in the position to save what is left of the of OUR school.

Demonstrate some leadership and act NOW!!

• Upvote 1