Scott Sutton Released

WeirdAlORU

7 minutes ago, Bad Blood said:

You don't seem like the type who cares about such things.

:smiling-face-open-mouth-tight-closed-eyes:

I said we should wait for the facts to come out instead of blindly believing self-citing journalists. I was correct.

Too bad clicking your heels together and wishing didn't make it true.

Just now, Dr. Cornelius said:

:smiling-face-open-mouth-tight-closed-eyes:

I said we should wait for the facts to come out instead of blindly believing self-citing journalists. I was correct.

Too bad clicking your heels together and wishing didn't make it true.

The journalists reported on the existence of a faith test based on information from one of their sources.

Then one of them actually obtained the document and posted it publicly, confirming the reports.

Which of us is clicking our heels and wishing away the truth?

• Upvote 1

On 4/11/2017 at 7:41 PM, WingMaaaan said:
Uh oh... are we saying goodbye to Albert Owens?

Albert in attendance tonight as well as Spencer (respect to that guy, this can't be easy)

+100 for Spencer Sutton!!!....:clap::eagles::clap:

I too am shocked by the way Billy's statement has so quickly changed so many minds. It all pretty much aligned with exactly what we were thinking. And we have no evidence that the Suttons were the source of the leaks. Scott has proven over and over during his 22 years at ORU To be a man of character and integrity. No need to question that now. In case you haven't noticed, there are PLENTY of other people that hate ORU. 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, EagleManiac said:

I too am shocked by the way Billy's statement has so quickly changed so many minds. It all pretty much aligned with exactly what we were thinking. And we have no evidence that the Suttons were the source of the leaks. Scott has proven over and over during his 22 years at ORU To be a man of character and integrity. No need to question that now. In case you haven't noticed, there are PLENTY of other people that hate ORU. 

• Upvote 1

Scott Sutton is a man with character... Billy Wilson is a self serving guy who is in WAY over his head as a college President...Billy would be better off as a pastor of a 45 member church in French Lick Indiana....lets let him pursue that option and blow him out of 7777 So. Lewis ASAP!!!.....:hcsutton2:

If the Sutton's had somehow planned this ... How could they have possibly predicted how much ORU administration ... Wilson and Carter ... would have botched the execution of the announcement so badly?   it's one thing to think somebody could not pull a staff change announcement off ... But, even we could never figure out how they bungled it at every turn.  Wilson/Carter made their own problems, and have dismissed questions about why the publicity has turned against them with simple answers.  If you're outside the University structure/history, and you look at the "Recruiting Evaluation Guidelines" ... it does look a lot like an evaluation test.  Whether it actually worked that way, you'd have to know from the recruiting end.    Anyway ... I don't think anyone would have written the script about how this all came down in advance.   It has all seemed "unplanned" and hastily executed ... Without thoughtful planning.

33 minutes ago, Bad Blood said:

The journalists reported on the existence of a faith test based on information from one of their sources.

Then one of them actually obtained the document and posted it publicly, confirming the reports.

Which of us is clicking our heels and wishing away the truth?

Is that why KOTV made the correction tonight?

"Also, there is no such faith test required for athletes" - Jonathan Huskey

1 minute ago, EaglesFan said:

If the Sutton's had somehow planned this ... How could they have possibly predicted how much ORU administration ... Wilson and Carter ... would have botched the execution of the announcement so badly?   it's one thing to think somebody could not pull a staff change announcement off ... But, even we could never figure out how they bungled it at every turn.  Wilson/Carter made their own problems, and have dismissed questions about why the publicity has turned against them with simple answers.  If you're outside the University structure/history, and you look at the "Recruiting Evaluation Guidelines" ... it does look a lot like an evaluation test.  Whether it actually worked that way, you'd have to know from the recruiting end.    Anyway ... I don't think anyone would have written the script about how this all came down in advance.   It has all seemed "unplanned" and hastily executed ... Without thoughtful planning.

Sutton did not plan it, but he certainly knew it was coming.  they had been in discussions for weeks over his further employment.

Sutton knew on Sunday when he rejected their final offer face to face that he was going to be let go.  i assume Wilson had to make a few calls before pulling the trigger, thus the Monday firing.

having said that, you are right, Wilson/Carter botched the parting in epic proportions.

5 minutes ago, Dr. Cornelius said:

Is that why KOTV made the correction tonight?

"Also, there is no such faith test required for athletes" - Jonathan Huskey

I don't watch KOTV and I have no idea what Jonathan Huskey said.

But the faith test, or character evaluation, or social checklist, or whatever term makes you most comfortable has been published and is linked in this very thread.

It takes an absurd amount of mental gymnastics to look at Ben Johnson's tweet and then act as if reports of a faith test were 100% baseless.

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, ORUalum said:

Sutton did not plan it, but he certainly knew it was coming.  they had been in discussions for weeks over his further employment.

Sutton knew on Sunday when he rejected their final offer face to face that he was going to be let go.  i assume Wilson had to make a few calls before pulling the trigger, thus the Monday firing.

having said that, you are right, Wilson/Carter botched the parting in epic proportions.

Not sure I follow the logic here - if Scott knew on Sunday, why wasn't it finalized then, and why would Billy have to make some calls on Monday???

2 minutes ago, Bad Blood said:

But the faith test, or character evaluation, or social checklist, or whatever term makes you most comfortable has been published and is linked in this very thread.

It takes an absurd amount of mental gymnastics to look at Ben Johnson's tweet and then act as if reports of a faith test were 100% baseless.

Did you watch the chapel announcement?  I think that President Wilson explained it well.  It is similar to the whole person scholarship evaluation.  

If you don't understand the university, think of it as a scouting report.  It is a tool for the coaches to evaluate the athletes for all sports.  I'm sure other universities don't evaluate the student's faith, but I bet they all evaluate their character.  

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, dbl78 said:

Not sure I follow the logic here - if Scott knew on Sunday, why wasn't it finalized then, and why would Billy have to make some calls on Monday???

Mart Green? Rob Hoskins?  maybe he just wanted to sleep on it. 

either way, i'm sure Scott knew what was coming when he turned down the deal on Sunday 

7 minutes ago, Bad Blood said:

The documents don't come close to reflecting what was initially claimed. So yes it was baseless.

• Upvote 1

We got played by Scott Sutton! 

I was totally on his side too, thinking that university did him dirty by not scheduling a face to face to fire him, and that he was blindsided by finding out about his firing on Twitter. 

That was false!

How are you in "lame duck negotiations" with the school for weeks to not renew your contract, even having a face to face with them on Sunday, then calling to rebuff the offer Monday morning (which I don't blame him for doing) and then completely ignore their repeated call backs to confirm their decision? If you're man enough to call and reject the offer, then be man enough to take the return calls that you're being released and move on.

And then to throw your own AD, who is a family friend, under the bus by insinuating to the media that you were caught off guard by discovering the news of your firing through Twitter... I'm struggling to see the class in that. 

And then letting the media run with these wild allegations that a tatto policy and a faith test kept you from winning? 

Where is the strong leadership, responsibility and ownership?!?!? 

While I still don't agree that Scott should have been let go over the phone, I understand Mike Carter's fear that the players would find out before the administration had a chance to talk with them. Our own beat writer for the Tulsa World admitted on Twitter that he had been calling the president's office weeks prior to inquire about recruiting regulations and Scott Sutton's job security. It was obvious there was a leak somewhere. Sometimes you just have to take that risk anyway to take the high road. This should have been one of those times. 

All that to say, my perception of ORU and Scott Sutton in this situation has totally flipped. ORU got played and then fumbled the ball by waiting a day too late to respond. You could tell they were caught totally off guard. 

The sad part is I've got friends in the admissions office saying they spent yesterday fielding calls from prospective students wondering if they should find another school to attend because they have tattoos. The admissions reps are concerned that this could affect what was on pace to be another record-breaking incoming class. 

• Upvote 3