Scott Sutton Released

WeirdAlORU

Sounds like Dumb and Dumber....:puke:

1 minute ago, dbl78 said:

The feed went out so I was unable to hear Wilson's opening statement.  I found two questions troubling.  First, Wilson was asked what Scott could have done to keep his job - he did not have an answer for that question - later he said something to the effect that if he had won three league championships, but went on to say that Scott was on a downward slope when he became President.

The second question that was asked to both Carter and Wilson was if they had reached out to Eddie Sutton or the Sutton family.  Mike said no, and Wilson basically said that his job was real busy and he has not had the time to do it - and added that he loved Scott and he would do it in the future.

He also said that they would find ways to celebrate his work at ORU sometime in the future. 

6 minutes ago, WingMaaaan said:

He also said that they would find ways to celebrate his work at ORU sometime in the future. 

I am sure Scott will be waiting with anticipation for that to happen. (Not)

Just now, dbl78 said:

I am sure Scott will be waiting with anticipation for that to happen. (Not)

It was a bizarre thing to say given the timing. 

6 minutes ago, WingMaaaan said:

It was a bizarre thing to say given the timing. 

Not to mention the way the situation played out.

5 minutes ago, titansforever said:

I didn't hear the first part. Did anyone ask a question about salary?

Salary was not mentioned.

5 minutes ago, Former SID said:

Can you imagine being 46 years old, having devoted nearly half your life to your employer and being told to go out and hire your replacement to be on your staff? Essentially, "We'll keep you on board for one more year so we don't have to pay you to stay at home." And they wondered why he said no?!?

Agreed. The fact that they offered a lame-duck option kind of speaks to the ignorance involved here.  So they wait for a decision on that until two days before the signing period to let him go and begin their search for a new coach. Now we will be without a coach for the majority of the signing period.

Paraphrased :"We loved Scott so much, even though I decided 4-years ago that he was beyond his prime, that we wanted him to stay around for another year and train his successor, and go on a 'farewell tour' of the Summit League ... And celebrate his accomplishments..."  (and since he didn't win the Summit League for the last 3-years straight, we don't have to retain him any longer.)

• Upvote 1

If we're to believe that "they" want to win ... win at the highest levels ... then they need a "home run" pick for the new head coach.  If they kick a guy up from an assistant coaching level who is an unknown ... it won't look like the commitment is really there.  The're going to have to spend some money, too ... If the guy is going to be "an upgrade".   Anything less would appear like more hypocrisy.

• Upvote 1

Just now, EaglesFan said:

If we're to believe that "they" want to win ... win at the highest levels ... then they need a "home run" pick for the new head coach.  If they kick a guy up from an assistant coaching level who is an unknown ... it won't look like the commitment is really there.  The're going to have to spend some money, too ... If the guy is going to be "an upgrade".   Anything less would appear like more hypocrisy.

Hypocrisy? How?

Perry is vastly more accomplished than Sutton was when he was hired.

• Upvote 3

Yeah, right....TheEagleman won't hold his breath.....sounds like this was a real smoke screen.....:tmi:

I thought Mike was typical Mike - confident, in control, articulate, cogent answers.  BWill looked-deer-in-the-headlights, shell-shocked, unprepared for the backlash that his decision-making has unleashed.

It does appear, however, that Scott had been given a set time to respond to their options, and he hadn't, so the news of his firing didn't come out of the blue on Twitter.  They may not have spoken to him directly about it, but it wasn't out of the blue, either.

Larry Brown....he wins wherever he goes....but will want about $5 mill per year.....guaranteed ORU would be in the big dance within 3 years....;-)

While there's plenty to blame MC and Billy for, I am disappointed in how Ben Johnson is communicating about this purported faith test. 

Johnson presents the document as if it's singularly about faith. Also by calling it a test, he makes it sound like there is a written form that the student athlete takes a number 2 pencil to and then turns in a scantron. In reality it's basically a survey that includes evaluating whatever the hell it means to be "spiritually alive". I get it. It's weird but it's not a test in the traditional sense of academic tests. ORU awarded scholarships include similar evaluations.

• Upvote 1

Agreed Wingmaaan, and if Ben Johnson was in the presser than my opinion of him just dropped through the floor.  Perhaps he was not listening when Mike Carter made it a point to state that at the end of the day, the decision to award a scholarship to an athlete comes SOLELY from within the Athletic Department, translated the basketball coaches for the basketball team.  Mike Carter also made it a point to emphasize that an athlete DOES NOT have to be Christian to get awarded a scholarship to play for ORU.

TheEagleman had to have a letter from his Pastor as part of the ORU application process.....this was in 1972.....:stuck-out-tongue:

9 minutes ago, theeagleman5 said:

Larry Brown....he wins wherever he goes....but will want about $5 mill per year.....guaranteed ORU would be in the big dance within 3 years....;-)

Yep. And in trouble with the NCAA within 4.

• Upvote 1