Scott Sutton Released

WeirdAlORU

international now..............UK's Daily Mail

Oral Roberts University fires basketball coach who was ordered not to recruit players with tattoos or who couldn't pass a 'faith test'

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4405930/Oral-Roberts-coach-banned-recruiting-tattooed-players.html

Just now, ORUalum said:

international now..............UK's Daily Mail

Oral Roberts University fires basketball coach who was ordered not to recruit players with tattoos or who couldn't pass a 'faith test'

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4405930/Oral-Roberts-coach-banned-recruiting-tattooed-players.html

LOL.

8 minutes ago, theeagleman5 said:

Oh boy....I guess Carter's Presser won't be live streamed on ORUATHLETICS.COM....:|......Wilson sounds like such a weasel....no way he shows up this afternoon. He's more comfortable addressing 18-21 year old kids most of whom have never shown up at an ORU basketball game and probably don't care what he said.....Wilson won't have the balls to address experienced adult reporters (most of whom probably like Scott Sutton) and who will blister him with questions that he can't answer with a straight face.....should be interesting.....if I were Mike Carter, I would start the Press Conference with...."hey, how bout that ORU baseball win over OU last night !?!?!?".....;-)

the press release announcing it said it will stream at http://oruathletics.com/broadcast/ORUSN

I don’t think this press conference by Mike Carter will really “clear the air” … I think he will be awkward in his presentation and answering tougher questions.  He is being fed to the lions by Billy Wilson.  My guess is that their “statement” will quote Wilson, but primarily to clear up the interpretation of his twitter comments.   The “Whole Person Champion Evaluation” might as well be a faith test since it is evaluating their “social adeptness and spiritual life”.    This evaluation will get its share of media scrutiny, and do no good for ORU’s reputation and ability to recruit.

The apparent explanation of the “offer” to Sutton to work another year (before being fired), so he could be honored for his service.  This is nonsensical.

They’ve had three days to get their talking-points worked out (which should have been completed before this debacle happened).  I’ll wait and see … But I’m afraid we’ll still be stuck in the mud when this day is done – and our image/reputation will not be what it was before Monday afternoon.

Thanks, Doc....TheEagleman can't wait...I am running out of the office to grab some popcorn......:hcsutton2:

• Upvote 1

Lost in all of this is the fact that SS basically guided the program into the tank with a terrible record and mass defections in terms of players and coaches.  Secondly, by permitting this tanking to all be the fault of a "faith test" or "no tattoos" which tied his hands,  SS is basically saying that the last 4 years he had these restrictions which hindered him from bringing in great players so he went 8-22 this year because all he could recruit were rejects who could not play the game.  Seriously if you think it through logically, the "faith test" and "no tattoos" argument basically throws not only his players but the entire program under the bus.  What it sounds like is he could have been a contender but his hands were tied and therefore all he could get were a bunch of duds for players.  

• Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, EagleManiac said:

"We do not have a test of faith for our athletes. However, we have developed a Whole Person Champion evaluation. Athletes are evaluated in four areas: athleticism, academics, social adeptness, and spiritual life. You can still be recruited if one of the areas is weaker than the others, providing your cumulative grade qualifies."

Paraphrased quotation of what Billy had to say about the "faith test". Anyone able to pull a clip of the address and post it here?

An evaluation of the underlined items sounds completely backwards to me... How about we allow the students to make the choice on these points?

Potential students should be given an honest statement on what the university stands for - which would allow them to make a decision whether they want to be part of that vision.

• Upvote 1

Having had a child who was a recipient of a Whole Person Scholarship (non athletic), I can guarantee you that by the time they completed the application process they had a very good idea what the University stands for.  Secondly, having been a "legacy" they already knew what the University stood for.  And finally, as much as my children, wife and I looked at prospective universities for the kids to attend, we had a very good idea what each of those schools strengths and weaknesses were before they pulled the trigger on which school to attend.

1 hour ago, EagleManiac said:

"We do not have a test of faith for our athletes. However, we have developed a Whole Person Champion evaluation. Athletes are evaluated in four areas: athleticism, academics, social adeptness, and spiritual life. You can still be recruited if one of the areas is weaker than the others, providing your cumulative grade qualifies."

Spiritual life = test of faith.

It may not be pass/fail like it's portrayed in some media circles, but athletes are still being graded on their Christianity.

So, a test. Of faith.

I think it prudent that we evaluate any future athlete in terms of those four criterion - as well as others. It is not unreasonable for ORU to set standards for its students or athletes. We may (do?) disagree with the standards and the methods used to make the  evaluation, but I think we can agree that ORU has a right to expect a certain level of competency and adherence. Frankly that is what makes ORU distinctive.

I seem to remember that when I applied to ORU 37 years ago I had to answer questions concerning various things including my spiritual walk and relationship with the Lord. I think that same general format is still used. I guess that is a form of "faith test". 

• Upvote 1

Scott in a video with Upward Sports recently in which he makes some observations about John 16:33 that seem particularly prescient at this time:

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, ORU82 said:

Lost in all of this is the fact that SS basically guided the program into the tank with a terrible record and mass defections in terms of players and coaches.  Secondly, by permitting this tanking to all be the fault of a "faith test" or "no tattoos" which tied his hands,  SS is basically saying that the last 4 years he had these restrictions which hindered him from bringing in great players so he went 8-22 this year because all he could recruit were rejects who could not play the game.  Seriously if you think it through logically, the "faith test" and "no tattoos" argument basically throws not only his players but the entire program under the bus.  What it sounds like is he could have been a contender but his hands were tied and therefore all he could get were a bunch of duds for players.  

Here is the deal in all of this. Recruiting is not the main strength  with many college head coaches. Generally speaking the assistants carry the heavy load on that end. At one time he had Hankins and Cory" The Closer " Williams that did the heavy lifting on the recruiting trail and really fit well together. As a whole that was a very good staff in their ability to recognize players and then Scott would get involved and help finish.   Then Crutchfield after Cory and then Kyan ( I believe:) also. Nothing against Sean but he Is not known as a recruiter either. That puts a lot of burden on 1 or 2 guys.

I know for a fact there have been some changes in the last few years that does affect how and who they recruit but it still comes down to how many games you win. No matter what anyone says that is the deciding factor.

Scott will land on his feet and take a year off and find a good spot for himself. I have met him numerous times and has always gone out of his way to be polite and nice.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, titansforever said:

Good find titansforever. Attached is the evaluation form mentioned in the article:

Page1.pdf

Page2.pdf

It does not seem as restrictive as the media is making it out to be...

Video feed of press conference isn't working (of course). :-(