Coaching Carousel 2012

Old Titan

Scott (if he wants it) makes a lot of sense for the Kansas State job. He is a known quantity with 12 years of head coaching experience. He comes from a well known coaching family. He is a steady personailty with a calm demeanor - which the current AD might find attractive. And he has beaten Bill Self/KU in Allen Field House.....

Mike Brown just tweeted that Scott Sutton has informed the Tulsa World he is "no longer a candidate" for the TU job.

Which of course, could mean one of two things:

1. He's withdrawing his name from consideration, OR

2. He knows he's not going to get it.

Either way, looks like Scott will be back (at least, until Kansas State and SMU figure out what they are going to do).

Here's a quote attributed to Scott: ". . . but if I'm (staying) in Tulsa, ORU's the place I'm gonna be. I‘ve got a great job and great boss (AD Mike Carter)."

Sounds a little like a guy who may still be in the mix somewhere.

Seems it would be hard for Scott to turn down K-State. Keeping family in Tulsa would be only reason.

Seems like that could be the "special job" that Scott has talked about for a long time.

i think that is it OT. if Terry Evans gets named tomorrow then TU gave Scott a chance to bow out. but if they are still looking in a couple of days, then TU is scrambling. Terry Evans seems like the Nolan Richardson mold -- Up-tempo ball, strong recruiter with AAU ties, small college coach (Nolan was a JUCO coach).

I heard that Scott withdrew his name. Not that TU said or did anything, but that Scott initiated the chance to withdraw.

Evans & Manning to get 2nd interview this week. Cason "finally" contacted, but don't know extent or type of contact.

My wild guess is that Evans is currently front runner based on his Initial interview.

So, Scott is "safe" for now. TU is sliding from the huge Splash hire that everyone wanted with Tubby to announcing the hopeful 2nd coming of Nolan in Evans.

If you are quiet, you might hear the collective "What the heck?" that 80% of the TU fans will be thinking simultaneously at the announcement of whoever the winning candidate is.

** Sigh ** my head hurts.

Can someone send me the ORU 2013 season ticket information link? |(

Thanks for the inside scoop, Bas. I'm not sure what the catalylic moment was for Scott to make the decision to take his name out of the running, but I'm glad he's here for now. I'm not one of those fans that would begrudge Scott or any of our coaches for ever taking another job. I'm sure they have career goals that they'd like to accomplish, and I'm suportive of anybody going after their goals. According to some of the beat writers in Kansas, Scott is probably 5th on a list of candidates for the KState job.

According to some of the beat writers in Kansas, Scott is probably 5th on a list of candidates for the KState job

That may be true but if the # 1 on the list takes the job, Then Scott Sutton is the Shocker Head Coach. :wasntme:

Eric Bailey, TU beat writer for the Tulsa World, summed it up neatly in a blog Tuesday night:

"So was it any surprise that Scott Sutton withdrew his name from consideration at the University of Tulsa?"

"As the days passed, you wondered what the Oral Roberts coach was thinking about TU’s process, which has been meticulous. It was nearly two weeks before the school made any contact with prospects, which is believed to have been a large test of patience for Sutton. Perhaps Sutton – whose name is already popping up with other vacancies – was ready to move on."

"How did the Sutton interview go with Tulsa? No one knows. It’s likely no one will know for a few years. But it’s believed that Sutton had been a candidate up until the moment he told the Tulsa World’s Mike Brown that he was withdrawing his name from consideration. It doesn’t appear that TU told him he wasn’t going to be their selection. They didn’t say he was going to be their choice, either."

Now, you can rest assured that once TU announces their actual choice, a majority of TU fans will take the "You-didn't-break-up-with-us-Scott-we-broke-up-with-you" attitude, but from all indications, this simply became a situation where Scott was tired of being treated as Plan B.

As far as I'm concerned, this closes the book on my recent infatuation with the TU coaching search. Since it no longer involves us, I really don't care who they hire, and I feel comfortable that whoever it is will not be Scott's equal. Should be mildly entertaining, though, to watch the Golden Haterfans fall over themselves in the coming weeks and months, trying to portray the poor schmuck as The Second Coming.

But, hey - how about ol' Barry Hinson getting the Southern Illinois job? I think I've always liked Barry a little than most on here do - I hope he does great there.

• Upvote 2

Barry was ok but the foot stomping was a turn off to me. However, to his credit. He did really well at Missouri State and proved he can coach. I am thankful that he is back in coaching and SIU is a good school.

Barry is one of the nicest guys i have met and wish him the best at SIU.

So it looks like it is down to Manning and Evans for TU. Wow! Well at least they won't have to pay them much.

• Upvote 1

Congrats to Barry Hinson for getting the SIU gig.....TheEagleman was wondering why someone hadn't hired him...all he did at ORU and MSU was win..... :clap:

barry has a great personality and always liked talking to him best wishes!

Bryce must have a good agent, or is getting good advice from his brother (or both) - his little "tour" of the Tulsa and Mississippi State jobs probably netted him a raise at Valpo, or a contract extension (or both).

I'm guessing Valpo didn't pay Bryce much to assume the reigns from Homer, taking a "Show me" approach to his future with the school.

And now, after winning a Horizon League regular season crown (something his dad never did), Bryce has in turn informed the Valpo brass, "SHOW ME THE MONEY!!"

...and he gets to stay close to his parents. i'm sure your buddies on the Valpo board are very happy.

I know I'm happy that it looks like Coach Sutton will be back.

OT, do you think Kyan Brown will hook up again with Hinson at SIU if given the opportunity? It seems like he has done a good job as recruiting coordinator for ORU.

So Manning gets the job at TU according to CBSSports.com tonight......Danny seems like a good guy but I think BasPlayr and his crowd should get used to the thought of 14-17 next season......by the way, Bas.....great ORU season tickets can still be had.... :-D