Coaching Carousel 2012

Old Titan

Alabama-Birmingham has called a Tuesday morning press conference to introduce North Carolina assistant Jerod Haase as their new head coach.

If the name sounds familiar, Haase played for Tar Heels coach Roy Williams at Kansas in the 90's.

Other rumors: if Marquette's Buzz Williams turns down SMU's $2.5 million offer, the Mustangs may go after Virginia Tech's Seth Greenberg. SMU seems determined to break the bank to land a big-name coach (or, at least, a coach from a big-name school) who will make headlines and (hopefully) be able to recruit the Eastern time zone.

Also, Scott Drew's name keeps popping up in connection with Illinois, along with John Groce at Ohio.

Finally, Kansas State's early short list reportedly includes Mark Fox of Georgia, Tad Boyle of Colordao, and EVERYONE's favorite candidate this year, Wichita State's Gregg Marshall. The job pays about $1.5 million, which seems like a lot, but when you consider Marshall turned down more from Nebraska and South Carolina both, it's hard to imagine he would want to move across the state for less, just to be Bill Self's whipping boy.

College basketball coaching changes (2012)

Not a very long list so far. I remember a few years back there were over 100 coaching changes in the 300 or so Division I teams at the time. As positions are filled I imagine that others will open up, keeping the carousel rolling, at least for a while.

Glad I don't work (on either side) of such a turbulent industry.

I remember a few years back there were over 100 coaching changes in the 300 or so Division I teams at the time.

While there weren't quite 100, there were 63 coaching changes in the offseason before the 2006-07 season, which was the most since 2000. There were also 61 coaching changes prior to 2007-08. So in that two-year span, over a third of all colleges changed coaches!

Since 2000, the average number of coaching changes per year has been about 47.

My guess is that TU hires Danny Manning. They are trying to generate 'excitement" and mollify big donors and the KU assistant & former NBA player seems to fit that bill. He is the riskier choice given that he has never been a head coach or run a program before. It looks like Sutton may have suffered from the "prophet is without honor in his own country" syndrome.

Illinois, Kansas State, Tulsa, Colorado State, Southern Illinois .... these could all create additional openings - unless they all choose assistant coaches.

College basketball coaching changes (2012)

Not a very long list so far. I remember a few years back there were over 100 coaching changes in the 300 or so Division I teams at the time. As positions are filled I imagine that others will open up, keeping the carousel rolling, at least for a while.

Glad I don't work (on either side) of such a turbulent industry.

Manning has long been thought to be the next head coach at Wichita State. If Marshall moves west to Manhattan, Manning would likely be a shoo-in for the Shockers. He's likely to wait since the Wichita job is a significantly better one than TU at this point.

While there weren't quite 100, there were 63 coaching changes in the offseason before the 2006-07 season, which was the most since 2000. There were also 61 coaching changes prior to 2007-08. So in that two-year span, over a third of all colleges changed coaches!

Since 2000, the average number of coaching changes per year has been about 47.

I like the number I pulled off the top of my head better. ;-)

While I like the 100 number, the other one I remember about that year was that one in five coaches changed - 63 fits that ratio a whole lot better.

I'm still glad I don't work in that industry.

Is Marshall really considering a move to Manhattan? Not sure it is a better job. Better conference yes. There are rumors that the AD is difficult to get along with. The Wichita State people I know would gag at hiring a Kansas assistant (and former player). They feel like they are treated like a little brother and this would not go well with a portion of the fan base.

While there are still a lot of twists and turns yet to come, based on ORU not making the NCAA and losing in the 1st round of the NIT, perhaps there won't be enough excitement about Scott Sutton to seal the deal at a "special" program this year. I would love to see him back on the bench next year and if that happens hopefully he would love still being at ORU as well.

Bill Self is losing his personal valet to Southern Illinois....

"Southern Illinois University appears to be closing in on Barry Hinson as their next head coach.

Hinson, who coached multiple 20+ wins teams in the Missouri Valley Conference at Missouri State, is currently Director of Basketball Operations at Kansas.

The Southern Illinois search intially centered on Bruce Weber, who passed on the position while exploring other opportunities."

Good for Barry HInson. I hope he does better at SIU than he did at Missouri State. I would love for him to make the tournament at SIU and rub Missouri State's nose in it.

Good for Barry! I always liked him, liked his personality, and really thought he was treated unfairly at MSU. Glad he's finding another good job. I think SIU has had some success in the past - I hope he doesn't find the situaiton as challenging as at Missouri State.

I've got some distant relaives that are connected with SIU - I'll have to contact them and find out what they think. My dad was born in Jackson Co., where Carbondale is located, and the old Hughes family farm was about 2-3 miles from the SIU campus. Kind of unbelievable that of all the schools in the country Barry might end up at that one!

I agree. Good luck to Barry in his new position.

While there are still a lot of twists and turns yet to come, based on ORU not making the NCAA and losing in the 1st round of the NIT, perhaps there won't be enough excitement about Scott Sutton to seal the deal at a "special" program this year. I would love to see him back on the bench next year and if that happens hopefully he would love still being at ORU as well.

I don't know if it's the factor you stated, Jason, or that Scott isn't as eager to find "the next step up" as we thought him to be, but I don't see his name associated with as many openings as I expected to. I was looking for that very thing this AM, and the only jobs I found his name connected with at this point were Tulsa, Mississippi State, and Colorado State. And I'm not sure which, if any, of those options would provide him with what he might be looking for, or how interested they might be in him. I guess time will tell.

Was listening to the animal during lunch and they were saying reports out there say Barry Hinson was interviewing one of the ORU assistant coaches to go with him to SIU. Anyone heard anything on this?

Kyan Brown played for Barry at ORU and was an assistant coach for Barry at Missouri State.

He was my first thought too, Terry. It's never easy losing your recruiting coordinator. Wouldn't fault Barry for trying to fix what he might have felt responsible for with him getting dismissed and his staff being shown the door. Scott's name is starting to pop up on twitter with folks recommending him for the KSU job.