Recruiting Update (2010)

ORUTerry

Can't believe it's Spring Signing Day and we don't have one single verbal commitment.

I've said for months this was a "must year" in recruiting.

But looking back over this thread, it's just page after page of prospects who chose some other program over us.

I'm trying to keep a positive outlook, but this is ominous.

Eddie Sutton always says: "You can't win the Kentucky Derby without thoroughbreds."

At this point, I would just settle for a horse or two... :|

• Replies 374
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• dchief42

• ORUTerry

• Old Titan

• darrenj

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Our recruiting has always been a bit out of the ordinary. The coaches are typcially very closed mouth about who we are pursuing and there is not a lot of 'chatter' about recruits. My recollection is that a lot of our better recruits (Green, Tutt, Owens, etc) are early (November) signings, but we also get surprises. I am sure that a lot goes on in the background that we will never be aware of. It is a tough way to make a living.

I wonder how much we try to use former players (Wilkerson, Barnes, Green, Tutt, Owens, etc) to help with recruiting - or even identifying propsects. It would be nice if we could re-open the Australian connection - maybe Luke Spencer-Gardner could lend us a hand. Do we try to maintain relationships with the Christian high school network to identify prospective recruits?

It does seem a little odd that we only signed one player in the Fall (and that recruit appears to be marginal) and do not have any commitments for the Spring.

Lot in the works and pretty stressful time for the coaches as it is for most schools except Kentucky!

In on a few very good prospects but you never know until they sign on the dotted line.

If they could 2 like Niles and Craion again i think everyone would be very happy. Hopefully they can close on a couple.

Lot in the works and pretty stressful time for the coaches as it is for most schools except Kentucky!

In on a few very good prospects but you never know until they sign on the dotted line.

If they could 2 like Niles and Craion again i think everyone would be very happy. Hopefully they can close on a couple.

Like I said, at this point my expectations are pretty modest - we just need some D-1 bodies. :muscle:

We got Roundtree... (Tulsa World)

The Oral Roberts men’s basketball team has received a commitment from a 6-foot-7 forward described by one recruiting analyst as “an incredible athlete.”

Steven Roundtree, of Jacksonville, Fla., told the Tulsa World that he planned to sign with the Golden Eagles sometime this week.

Wednesday was the first day of the spring period for high school athletes to sign binding letters of intent with NCAA schools.

Roundtree played the 2009-10 season at Maine Central Institute, a prep school near Bangor, Maine, averaging about 19 points and seven rebounds per game.

“He is an incredible athlete who plays with his head above the rim like few others can,” said Adam Finkelstein of New England Basketball Recruiting Report. “He runs the floor exceptionally well, is at his best in transition, (and is) a versatile defender and great shot-blocker.”

Roundtree said he enjoyed his visit to the ORU campus last month.

“When I met the players, it was like they already knew me, and the coaches treated me like they really cared if I went (to ORU),” he said.

He said he also had an offer from Robert Morris University and had interest from other schools, but made no other visits.

Roundtree played his junior season at Jacksonville’s Englewood High and played the 2008-09 season and received his high school diploma from the Patterson School, a prep school in North Carolina. There, he played alongside current ORU freshman Hunter McClintock.

Roundtree is the second man in ORU’s 2010 recruiting class, joining 6-foot-9 Chris Angsomwine

http://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsextra/O ... eOra589811

OT,

There is the first one and they are still working on a couple of more to help out. CJ would be a really big difference maker for them.

Still looking at a couple of guards also.

Roundtree's description reminds me a bit of Larry Owens (6'7", athletic, plays defense, etc.). I love that he will be a 4 year player and have time to develop his skills.

If we could get Washington, this would be a very nice recruiting class. CJ would be able to step right in and contribute immediately. Let's hope he wants to stay close to his family and understands how stable & supportive our coaching staff is. With some of the other schools he is considering there is a good chance that he will experience a coaching change - and the uncertainties that go along with that kind of transition.

It's turning out to be a busy week coming up, in terms of on-campus visits: a handful of guys will be here, including high school swingman Jake Lliteras of Hillsborough, NC, a 6'-5" lefty shooter. He's #30 in the video below - looks like a really solid player that could fill some immediate needs, even as a freshman:

Jake Lliteras Class of 2010

Reminds me a little of Oakland's Eric Kangas, which of course is a GOOD thing. :clap:

Wonder if he knows Hunter McClintock - or Chad Wilkerson (who coaches AAU basketball in North Carolina)?

Solo,

You are right on the OU front for CJ and that is not a good thing!

Got some good guys coming in and just keep working and get a couple more!

Would take a Kangas type of guy in a heartbeat!!

If you assume that Tiny Gallon will not be at OU next year (probably a good assumption based upon the $3000 TMZ alleges that he received from a "quasi-agent" in Florida, an OU assistant already being fired a week or 2 ago and Joe Castiglione announcing today that OU basketball is being investigated AGAIN by the NCAA), that leaves only 4 scolarship players (I think) left on the OU team that have any playing experience. OU has signed Tyler Neal, so there are basically 5 players in the fold for next year.

I heard today on the Sports Animal that most of the higher quality recruits have already signed, so it is a bad time to be trying to sign a bunch of players to build a team around. It was insinuated that OU may be competing against NAIA schools for some of the players that are left (that's a little bit of a stretch I would think). Jeff Capel said today in his press conference that he will probably hold some scolarships back until next year because he only wants to sign quality players.

Even with Willie Warren, Tiny Gallon, and Tommy-Mason Griffin, OU was pretty bad this year. Without them next year, and with around 6 new players mixed with 4 returning players (most of whom are not big-time contributors) OU could struggle to win any Big 12 games.

So, if you are C.J. Washington (I know Murray State is in the picture but) let's say that the choice is between OU and ORU. Do you play at OU where you will probably get decent playing time and may or may not start (depending on what other players Capel brings in) but will almost certainly have a losing season, a disastrous Big 12 season, little if any chance at postseason play, the chance of significant probation against OU in the future based upon the short leash they are on due to the Kelvin Sampson violations from a few years ago, a significant likelihood that Jeff Capel will be fired after next season, and an already uninterested fan base that could turn against your team if they have another disappointing season?

Or do you pick ORU where you will also get decent playing time and may or may not start this year, but with the loss of Kevin Ford have an excellent chance to start in the "4" spot, have a winning season with a very legitimate shot at postseason play, be the big-man on campus in an "intimate" on-campus setting where you will be "the man", not have to deal with the drama of a roller-coaster season that will contain a lot of negative publicity, have a good shot at freshman of the year in the conference and position yourself for player of the year in the conference down the road (if he really is as good as advertised), know that the odds are very high that your coaching staff will be around to help you develop through your entire career, have a fan base that will support you and not turn on you, and still be close enough to home that your family and friends can easily drive to every home game.

It's a big risk for him, but I think ORU adds up for him. Murray State is too far away for his family and friends to travel to his home games. I guess we'll see how this ends up, but with the NCAA investigation being announced, I think Jeff Capel's days are numbered. ORU is the safest pick for him with a high potential for success.

Good stuff, Jason....Speaking on behalf of C.J.....let's have the ORU LOI....where do I sign?..... :P

Oh it's in his hands already but he is 19 or 20 and going to OU spring football game today with 80,000 people.

You are spot on in that ORU is the best place for him and he will get all the minutes he can handle if he comes to ORU and a lot better chance to get to the dance next couple of yrs than at OU.

He is a difference maker at ORU and is exactly what they need.

Let's hope he uses wisdom and can see what is best for him long term. He could be a difference maker at ORU and be greatly appreciated.

Oh it's in his hands already but he is 19 or 20 and going to OU spring football game today with 80,000 people.

At least its cold and rainy here today so hopefully it will be a miserable experience for him.