Recruiting Update (2010)

ORUTerry

PC West's Tyler Neal named Gatorade Player of the Year

FROM STAFF REPORTS

Published: March 19, 2010

Putnam City West’s boys basketball season ended short of the gold ball the Patriots desired, but postseason acclaim is still coming their way.

PC West’s 6-foot-6 senior forward Tyler Neal was named the state’s Gatorade Player of the Year on Thursday.

Neal averaged 18.6 points and 8.3 rebounds in teaming with fellow standout Amric Fields to lead the Patriots to the Class 6A semifinals in their first state tournament appearance since 1977.

"We wish we would’ve gone a little further, but we had a good season,” Neal said. "This is a great honor, but it wasn’t just me. It took the whole team for us to be as successful as we were.”

While he remains undecided on his college future, Neal has received recruiting interest from Oklahoma coach Jeff Capel in recent weeks. Neal is keeping much of the recruiting process private, but has received offers from multiple NCAA Division I programs.

Read more: http://newsok.com/prep-note-pc-wests-ty ... z0ietj1xou

• Replies 374
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• dchief42

• ORUTerry

• Old Titan

• darrenj

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Bottom line: Capel better work on recruiting players that don't need a lot of coaching, i.e. Blake Griffin. If you want to get better at the game, you play for a coaching staff like the one at ORU.

I think OU is looking at several juco players that can come in and contribute right away. With all the holes that OU has to fill, they will need players who can contribute right away at the Big 12 level. I'm not sure that Neal would be ready to contribute right away at the Big 12 level. He could however contribute at ORU right away. OU has not offered him because he is only a fall-back option if several of the jucos fall through. I would hope that he would be able to realize that it is better to go to a school who really wants you and will give you 4 years of significant playing time. Look at Dominique Morrison as the perfect example of why a player like Neal should go to a school like ORU.

Amric Fields...Neals teamate is headed to TCU, It seems Neal has TCU high on his list as well, but he would take an OU offer in a heart beat lol

TCU? Really? Good luck with that. I assume that is where Neals where land too.

It's a shame that a school like TCU can beat out a program like ORU. I have to believe that the regulations that the administration puts on student life, have to effect us in recruiting dramatically.

It's a shame that a school like TCU can beat out a program like ORU. I have to believe that the regulations that the administration puts on student life, have to effect us in recruiting dramatically.

. . . and not just of athletes. Some unnecessary rules put a burden on recruiting - and retaining - all students.

But that's just one more area for Dr. Rutland et al. to work through as time goes by.

The fact that Mabee Center only has about 3500 fans in attendence during most games may not help recruiting much either....hopefully, the staff brought recruits to the TU, IUPUI or Mizzou games last season when we had good attendence.... :!:

I have to believe that the regulations that the administration puts on student life, have to effect us in recruiting dramatically.

Please elaborate.

The regulations" that are put on student-athletes at ORU are nowhere near what they used to be 20, 15, or even 10 years ago. Dress, curfew, social outlets, etc. have all been relaxed compared to when Oral was president and when RR took over. The rules that ORU does have are all ones that most caring parents are appreciative to have. In the age of no rules and lack of accountability to anyone, the "regulations" at ORU can be used to our benefit as much as it is used against us in the recruiting process.

"regulations" at ORU can be used to our benefit as much as it is used against us in the recruiting process.

Sorry Bogus, I disagree. That's not realistic.

I'll be the first one to say that all the good at ORU far outweighs the bad. The problem is, "all the good" typically comes as a revelation after (sometimes during) you've put in your time at ORU. The bad, or "regulations that would deter a student from committing 4 years to our institution" are shallow, but more bold and blaring in the ears/eyes of young idealistic students who are going to university to "spread their wings."

Maybe I shouldn't have polluted this message board with a negative/frustrated comment, and I'd rather this die here with this post; no need on focusing on something negative when it's obvious that recruits read this board.

I love our university, and I'm not ashamed of being an alum, but there's always room to progress.

The regulations" that are put on student-athletes at ORU are nowhere near what they used to be 20, 15, or even 10 years ago. Dress, curfew, social outlets, etc. have all been relaxed compared to when Oral was president and when RR took over. The rules that ORU does have are all ones that most caring parents are appreciative to have. In the age of no rules and lack of accountability to anyone, the "regulations" at ORU can be used to our benefit as much as it is used against us in the recruiting process.

I'll just tell you, Bogus, that while I don't disagree completely with what you're saying, those are the same arguments that I hear given time and time again in support of the rules that make it challenging to attract students to ORU, and as I see my son now at ORU struggling with these regulations, many of them unnecessary, it's caused me to change my opinion, or at least approach, to them. I respectfully ask you, Bogus, are you a caring parent? Both of your boys attended a university where the approach to student regulation was entirely different than at ORU. Haven't they made it through okay?

Times have changed, and kids have changed, and if ORU wants to continue to attract quality kids then I believe they need to continue to make changes that make ORU appealing to young people. They've already done some of that, but it needs to continue. And that can be done well within the framework of what ORU stands for.

(While this discussion started with regard to athletic recruiting, I admit to threadjacking a bit by expanding it to overall student recruiting)

I love our university, and I'm not ashamed of being an alum, but there's always room to progress.

Thanks for clarifying. Hopefull progression doesn't equal compromise. It's just basketball.

I'll be glad to let this thread die here, too. But let's not fall so far as to lower life standards in order to let students "spread their wings." I attended in the late '80s/'90s when "bad regulations" were more strict, and I never felt restrained.

I'll just tell you, Bogus, that while I don't disagree completely with what you're saying, those are the same arguments that I hear given time and time again in support of the rules that make it challenging to attract students to ORU, and as I see my son now at ORU struggling with these regulations, many of them unnecessary, it's caused me to change my opinion, or at least approach, to them. I respectfully ask you, Bogus, are you a caring parent? Both of your boys attended a university where the approach to student regulation was entirely different than at ORU. Haven't they made it through okay?

I'll answer. Interesting question asking Bogus if he is a caring parent. :| Both of our boys went/go to OU. They chose to join the BYX (Christian) fraternity which prohibits underage drinking. They are doing well - more liberal in some areas than we are, but that seems to be common with this generation. I never had any problems with the rules at ORU - I appreciated them. It helped me to make good decisions, which was something I didn't always do as a teen.

I'm really curious what regulations you think are unnecessary. They've already bumped the curfew back to 1:30 every night (why even have one if it's going to be that late?). The rules seems to bother the guys more than girls at ORU (or maybe just the ones I've heard from). It'd be a shame if students are so worried about what they are missing that they miss the incredible opportunity that they have at ORU. We are wingbackers this year and haven't heard complaints, BUT the students that come to our events are not the complainers. :)

You guys are WONDERFUL and VERY CARING parents, MrsSmith - which is the point I was trying to make. You didn't feel that your boys needed the regulation that ORU imposes on students in order to feel comfortable sending them to college. I don't think that those are the things that make parents choose to send kids to a college, and they SURE aren't the things that attract kids.

I'm with you - the rules never had any effect on my lifestyle when I was at ORU. Didn't really bother me a bit. But they're a major challenge to many kids. The thing that I hear the most complaints about - and I think it's more the idea of it than the actual enforcement - is the curfew. Without getting into all of the anecdotal reasons, it's a CONSTANT and WIDESPREAD bur under the saddle of students - at least the ones that we have at our house, which is quite a few. We're also wingbackers, as well as having a son, a niece and a nephew at ORU. So we hear about it a lot!

All I'm saying is that ORU needs to be inviting to students, and, within the framework of what the university stands for, we need to be working towards that end.

Mrs. Smith, my kids are actually more conservative than I am - if that is possible.

So is the answer to do away with any type of curfew? My Mom always said that nothing good happens after midnight - and I tend to agree with her. With a revised 1:30am curfew, I am struggling to see what the issue is.

This thread has really lost its way. Why don't we move further discussion of ORU rules, etc. to the Free for All Board.

Watching some of these lower seeded teams (St Marys, Ohio, etc) play and win against bigger schools with better athletes shows how important having shooters is. They also typically play strong, fundamental basketball (good defense and take care of the ball). It would be nice to get a shooter to go along with Niles and McClintock.

Another thing... watching St. Marys beat Villinova (yeah!) this afternoon and all of the Australian players they have made me wonder what happened to our 'Australian pipeline'. I know that it started with Randy Rutherford (former OSU player who was a teammate of Scott Sutton's) who was playing down under and told our coaching staff about Luke Spencer-Gardner. Then we had Cameron Tragardh for one year. I wonder if we ever make contact with coaches/players in Australia any more - or if LSG could help us is some way. (He is a former member of Australians Institute of Sports.)