Transfer Portal 2024

Eaglefan 21

29 minutes ago, Bogus Smith said:

Good for Zeke!  I hope he gets the role, dollars, and playing time that is promised to him.  He probably should have talked to Mackey before he #committed.

Based on the tweet below, I'm afraid Mayo may have had to settle for less than three-quarters of a million dollars in NIL money.  Poor guy!  LOL

Context:  AJ Storr was a sophomore guard for Wisconsin this past season, having transferred from St. John's following his freshman campaign. 

This after foregoing his hometown high school in Rockford, IL to attend the following in succession:  Arizona Compass Prep, Bishop Gorman in Las Vegas, and IMG Academy in Florida.

For a photo of Storr, look up the word "gypsy" in your copy of Funk & Wagnall's.

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Old Titan said:

Based on the tweet below, I'm afraid Mayo may have had to settle for less than three-quarters of a million dollars in NIL money.  Poor guy!  LOL

Context:  AJ Storr was a sophomore guard for Wisconsin this past season, having transferred from St. John's following his freshman campaign. 

This after foregoing his hometown high school in Rockford, IL to attend the following in succession:  Arizona Compass Prep, Bishop Gorman in Las Vegas, and IMG Academy in Florida.

For a photo of Storr, look up the word "gypsy" in your copy of Funk & Wagnall's.

Not a real big fan of multiple transfers without sitting out. I don't mind the 1rst one but something like this shouldn't be allowed. Not much the NCAA can do about it i guess. 

• Upvote 4

1 minute ago, darrenj said:

Not a real big fan of multiple transfers without sitting out. I don't mind the 1rst one but something like this shouldn't be allowed. Not much the NCAA can do about it i guess. 

Agreed. The combination of NIL and unlimited transfers is changing the sport for the worse.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, darrenj said:

No, but this type of situation needs to be the poster child with the current court case for giving the NCAA some level of oversight on their institutional members to keep these student-athletes in check and not allow them to abuse the system as this "immature adult" is working the system.

2 hours ago, Bogus Smith said:

No, but this type of situation needs to be the poster child with the current court case for giving the NCAA some level of oversight on their institutional members to keep these student-athletes in check and not allow them to abuse the system as this "immature adult" is working the system.

Just not sure how the NCAA is going to win this one but hope they do. Again, I think everyone should get the one transfer without sitting out and if your coach leaves you should get another one but the bouncing around year after year to chase $$ not a huge fan of. 

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Dr. Cornelius said:

Agreed. The combination of NIL and unlimited transfers is changing the sport for the worse.

The deal with NIL is the NCAA doesn't care about it. What they don't want to do is make players employees because of the huge cost out of their and the schools pockets. They could care less how much a booster wants to give certain players or what type of cars they drive. It isn't coming out of their cut. 

Can't do much about NIL but the multiple transfers without sitting a year is killing teams. Again, coach leaves you should get another one but i think 1 free transfer is sufficient. 

• Upvote 4

When we cared about a student-athlete maintaining their amateur status, all this money stuff was something to regulate. Now, what's the difference between playing a pro summer league and returning to school to play for a college team with a NIL collective? 

Next thing you'll see is that all the baseball summer leagues will start paying their players to get the best ones to enhance their "college experience".  It will compete with the farm club system in place for MLB, if the players want that type of experience.

29 minutes ago, Bogus Smith said:

Next thing you'll see is that all the baseball summer leagues will start paying their players to get the best ones to enhance their "college experience".  It will compete with the farm club system in place for MLB, if the players want that type of experience.

Basketball is kinda already there, with the NBA saying they are shutting down the G-League ignite team after this season ( a team created to pay + develop high profile high schoolers). Now there’s no need for it as they can just go to college and get paid!

NIL seems to be here to stay as it should! Like Darren above, I think if we can reel in transferring rules, things will settle a bit.

The Summit League had another star player, Touko Tainamo, from Denver transfer.  He averaged 15 points and about 8 rebounds and was selected on the honorable mention team.  That was Denver's first big loss to the portal and of course, Tommy Breuner also graduated.

We recruited Finley pretty hard out of HS. We’ve also recruited Keyondre several times over the years. He’s a 6’8 guard from Oklahoma originally.

Per his Instagram story, Ashton Smith has narrowed his "Top Three" landing spots to... Southern, South Dakota, and Omaha.  Feels like a slap in the face to me🫠

(Instagram stories are only live for 24 hours, so this link might lead to nothing if you’re catching this too late, but here’s a picture as well)

https://www.instagram.com/stories/theashtonsm1th/3341833948622972473?utm_source=ig_story_item_share&igsh=MTFvNTBhcDFuNm51YQ==

image.thumb.png.a8d90cfa11c06503e37b4a5c67e50bdc.png

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, ORob2 said:

Per his Instagram story, Ashton Smith has narrowed his "Top Three" landing spots to... Southern, South Dakota, and Omaha.  Feels like a slap in the face to me🫠

(Instagram stories are only live for 24 hours, so this link might lead to nothing if you’re catching this too late, but here’s a picture as well)

https://www.instagram.com/stories/theashtonsm1th/3341833948622972473?utm_source=ig_story_item_share&igsh=MTFvNTBhcDFuNm51YQ==

image.thumb.png.a8d90cfa11c06503e37b4a5c67e50bdc.png

The true slap in the face was Ashton never getting a legitimate chance to prove/improve his skills in game situations at ORU (for whatever reason).

I wish him all the best wherever he lands.

• Upvote 5

😖  It might be hard to say no to all those ORU guys up in Omaha...

• Upvote 2

Smith missed the first 10 games because of transfer issues and then was basically the 3rd string center.  Not sure that would change a whole lot next year with Herron and Jones returning.  Who knows but if he does not miss the first 10 games then maybe Smith finds a place on the team.

The few times he was on the court: looked really good around the rim and was a solid rebounder.  His weakness is guarding quicker bigs on the perimeter who can shoot the 3.  He looks somewhat one dimensional, good around the rim but that is about it.  I hope he signs with Southern.

• Upvote 3

Maybe if Smith did not feel like he had to compete with Herron for playing time he would be sticking around.  A novel concept would have been having Jones and Smith share the minutes at center while Herron shared minutes with other players at forward.  However, I don’t fault Smith at all for looking for a situation where he could get more playing time.  Last year we often ran a 4-guard lineup and he obviously is not a guard.

Maybe he’s not that good

• Upvote 3