Confirmed: Paul Mills to Wichita State

Old Titan

9 hours ago, eagle88 said:

Troy Abmas text me tonight and asked me what I thought about Mills going to Wichita. I told him my thoughts and asked him if he thought Springman would be the next coach and what Max thought . He said  Springman recruited him and loves him. I asked Troy if Max might play for ORU for 1 more year. He said that is up to Max and he didn’t know. I told Troy if I had my way Max would play for ORU until he was 40 while earning multiple doctorates where he would have more degrees than a cheap thermometer 

Proud Of You Yes GIF

6 minutes ago, ORUFanbase said:

Wondering what their budget was? I have never seen anything stating that $$ is a factor for them. The averaged 10,000 fans when Marshall was there. Win and they will have plenty of fan support. 

Heck, I believe they fly private plane to most away games and the coach has a private plane to use for recruiting trips. Not sure $$ is one of their problems.:)

Mills is getting millions based on this article.

@darrenj @ORUTerry @ORUTex @ORob2 @Old Titan 

What you need to know in Wichita State basketball coach Isaac Brown’s 5-year contract

BY TAYLOR ELDRIDGE

UPDATED JULY 23, 2021 10:29 AM

Brown will be paid $1 million for the 2021-22 and 2022-23 seasons, $1.25 million for the 2023-24 and 2024-25 seasons and $1.5 million for the 2025-26 season.

The contract also stipulates that Brown is unable to break his contract and leave for another job before the 2023-24 season, keeping him at WSU for at least the first three years of his contract. If he leaves for another job between May 1, 2024 and April 30, 2025, he would have to pay back half of his remaining salary ($1.375 million). If he leaves between May 1, 2025 and April 30, 2026, then Brown would have to pay 25% of his remaining salary ($375,000).

Following the separation agreement signed with former coach Gregg Marshall, which pays him a total of $7.75 million spread out over the next six years, WSU has given itself more flexibility in Brown’s contract.

Mills overall record may not blow anyone away but he did finish 56-19 in his last 75 games at ORU.  That is what WSU is hoping he can bring to them.  In the end, Paul left ORU in a much better place.  Can he do the same at Wichita?

47 minutes ago, ORUFanbase said:

High praise from Kelly Hines, who I've never heard say anything similar about a coach on her beat.

Hines and Bill Haisten are obviously among a select few who feel they actually got to know the real Paul Mills, and most who belong to that exclusive club have very positive things to say.

Won't deny much of my snarkiniss toward the man the past six years stems from never earning that opportunity myself:  spoke to him just once in his six-year stint, in an awkward, rushed introduction preceding the 2021 Courtside Countdown, where I basically apologized for having doubted him leading up the Sweet Sixteen run.  Honestly, go very little in the way of a response and future encounters at similar events never even warranted a "S'up?" from the always-seemingly-too-busy head coach.

After decades of chumminess with Bill Self, Barry Hinson, and Scott Sutton, it's been a wistful  reminder that things are far different in terms of my relation with ORU Basketball, but I'm probably as much to blame for that, so I've convinced myself I can live with the new normal of outsider-looking-in.

But, I would be lying if I didn't admit right now to a certain amount of anticipation to once again feel like I personally can attest to the head basketball coach at my alma mater being a really good dude, and not just have to take others words for it.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, ORUFanbase said:

Mills is getting millions based on this article.

@darrenj @ORUTerry @ORUTex @ORob2 @Old Titan 

What you need to know in Wichita State basketball coach Isaac Brown’s 5-year contract

BY TAYLOR ELDRIDGE

UPDATED JULY 23, 2021 10:29 AM

Brown will be paid $1 million for the 2021-22 and 2022-23 seasons, $1.25 million for the 2023-24 and 2024-25 seasons and $1.5 million for the 2025-26 season.

The contract also stipulates that Brown is unable to break his contract and leave for another job before the 2023-24 season, keeping him at WSU for at least the first three years of his contract. If he leaves for another job between May 1, 2024 and April 30, 2025, he would have to pay back half of his remaining salary ($1.375 million). If he leaves between May 1, 2025 and April 30, 2026, then Brown would have to pay 25% of his remaining salary ($375,000).

Following the separation agreement signed with former coach Gregg Marshall, which pays him a total of $7.75 million spread out over the next six years, WSU has given itself more flexibility in Brown’s contract.

Yea... I think they fired the AD they gave Brown that contract.:) I believe their new AD was at Kentucky for like 12 years before  2 or 3 years at Murray st. His expectations are going to be pretty high. 

I would think Mills got at least $2 to 2.5 million a year for 5 years. 

8 hours ago, Old Titan said:

Possibilities I am now hopeful for in 2023-24:

• Scheduling no more than two non-D1 opponents at home.
  • Scheduling no fewer than two P5 opponents anywhere.
  • Holiday tournament play.  Preferably somewhere nice.
  • A two-guard line-up.  Heck, maybe even a 1-guard line-up.
  • A 2-guard over 6'4" tall.  Might settle for anyone over 6 feet.
  • At least occasional screening away from the ball.
  • At least occasional post-up play.
  • At least occasional timeouts before a double-digit opponent run.
  • At least occasional full-court pressure defense.
  • At least occasional light-hearted humor.
  • More than 3 questions asked/answered in post-game radio interviews.
  • At least 90% attendance by head coach in post-game radio interviews.
  • At least 75% attendance by head coach at the weekly coach's show.
  • Fewer sugar-coated, obscure, misleading metrics.
  • More plain-spoken, relevant, insightful observations.
  • Embracing the annual post-season trip to Sioux Falls as the well-run event it actually is.
  • Neckties.

I love these, OT, but as I'm certain you realize, some are based on the personnel we get, and others on the personality we get. We will have a hard time getting it all - but then again, we might . . . well, except for the neckties.🙄

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Old Titan said:

Disappointed Devin Nunes GIF by GIPHY News

Did some Research on WSU.

Former WSU HC Isaac brown 48-34 in 3 season.

Winning isn’t the issue. Not making the dance is.

6 minutes ago, ORUFanbase said:

Disappointed Devin Nunes GIF by GIPHY News

Did some Research on WSU.

Former WSU HC Isaac brown 48-34 in 3 season.

Winning isn’t the issue. Not making the dance is.

Expectations will be a little bit more than they were at ORU that is for sure!:) 

1 minute ago, darrenj said:

Expectations will be a little bit more than they were at ORU that is for sure!:) 

True and my guess is that 2nd season has to be it or 3rd season will be hot seat galore. 

I hope he kills it at Wichita State. Go win!!! 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, ORUalum11 said:

I’d leave the school if I had to interact with Billy Wilson on a regular basis. I think not mentioning his name is intentional. 

Yep. RR Light. 

If he was ever going to leave, this was the year. Would have likely been a total rebuild here. But, the difference is he would have ZERO heat from fans or administration for a 17-14 season. String together two 17-14 season at WSU and he'll be looking for another assistant gig. 

That said, I can't blame him, nor begrudge him. I wouldn't turn down that type of pay increase. And, even though I think he's a little over-rated as a head coach, he seems to be a very nice man and the last 3 years have been enjoyable. Thanks Paul and hope you succeed at WSU. 

Even though I don't believe he will...

• Upvote 3

12 minutes ago, vcboy2000 said:

I hope he kills it at Wichita State. Go win!!! 

Wish I could share your magnanimity, and I don't begrudge anyone feeling that way, but with this being such a lateral move I find it hard to do so. 

Wichita State is a rival, both on the floor and in recruiting.  I do not wish them success with our former coach at the helm, for the obvious petty but sincere reasons you might imagine.

• Upvote 4

6 minutes ago, Old Titan said:

Wish I could share your magnanimity, and I don't begrudge anyone feeling that way, but with this being such a lateral move I find it hard to do so. 

Wichita State is a rival, both on the floor and in recruiting.  I do not wish them success with our former coach at the helm, for the obvious petty but sincere reasons you might imagine.

African American Reaction GIF