I have just the guy.

spacer.png

tanned, rested, and ready

😄

I will see your former head coach and raise you another:

barryHinson.jpeg.70800ed355db9cbf2043424d56e9789f.jpeg 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Only the third fourth ORU head coach in 50 years to voluntarily leave the program for the proverbial "better job":

• Ken Trickey (Iowa State)
  • Bill Self (Tulsa)*
  • Barry Hinson (Missouri State)
  • Paul Mills (Wichita State)

...kinda surprising it's not a larger number, considering the program's success over that time.

*thx SpaceManSpiff for the edit

3 minutes ago, Old Titan said:

Only the third ORU head coach in 50 years to voluntarily leave the program for the proverbial "better job":

• Ken Trickey (Iowa State)
  • Barry Hinson (Missouri State)
  • Paul Mills (Wichita State)

...kinda surprising it's not a larger number, considering the program's success over that time.

Wouldn’t Bill Self to Tulsa make this list too? Am I missing something with that move?

I wouldn’t call Tulsa better at the moment but they were at the time.

3 minutes ago, SpaceManSpiff said:

Wouldn’t Bill Self to Tulsa make this list too? Am I missing something with that move?

I wouldn’t call Tulsa better at the moment but they were at the time.

Well, of course - my bad.

Though I do like the dig at Tulsa in the process! LOL

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Old Titan said:

I'm telling ya, Wichita as a city and Shocker Nation as a fan base are NOT for the timid.  

Time will tell - this is a bad fit.

you may be right about the fit....i just think he's gone.....a tourny or 2 at WSU and he'll have a p5 job in 3 or 4 years.....not likely to make that jump from ORU.

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, Dr. Cornelius said:

I have just the guy.

spacer.png

tanned, rested, and ready

😄

Michael Jordan Lol GIF

2 minutes ago, ORUalum said:

you may be right about the fit....i just think he's gone.....a tourny or 2 at WSU and he'll have a p5 job in 3 or 4 years.....not likely to make that jump from ORU.

Yeah, but a .500 season or two and they will be eviscerating him on talk radio and the message boards.  These are NOT patient fans, and they do NOT like being treated in a condescending manner.

Whether they are correct or not, they are convinced they know as much or more about basketball as you, me, and Coach Mills. 

Think TU fans, but even less patient.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 4

6 minutes ago, Old Titan said:

Well, of course - my bad.

No worries! Just making sure.

Question for you: Who orchestrated the more impressive rebuild. Self or Mills?

Obviously, Mills took us to the tournament. But Self didn’t have the opportunity because we were independent during his tenure.

1 minute ago, SpaceManSpiff said:

No worries! Just making sure.

Question for you: Who orchestrated the more impressive rebuild. Self or Mills?

Obviously, Mills took us to the tournament. But Self didn’t have the opportunity because we were independent during his tenure.

On the court?  Self.

In the court of public (and donor) opinion?  Mills.

• Upvote 2

Just now, Old Titan said:

On the court?  Self.

In the court of public (and donor) opinion?  Mills.

Mills had the easier rebuild.......the university was literally on the brink of going under in Self's years, Mills also wasn't saddled with Richard and Lindsey Roberts running things

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, Old Titan said:

I'm guessing there will be a rush to name a new head coach before the ribbon cutting of the new Mike Carter Athletic Center on April 19th.

Find it hard to imagine President Billy Wilson standing there for pictures on this momentous occasion without a basketball coach standing right next to him...

@OKC Eaglejust said the same thing here as we’re here commiserating at JLJ. 

15 minutes ago, ORUalum said:

If I had any surprise about this move it would be that it wasn't for a little bigger jump than to WSU and the MVC. However, an intermediate step may be necessary before reaching the level of job that I thought he'd be trying for. 

But I agree with OT - I think WSU will be a challenging next step.

1 minute ago, tmh8286 said:

If I had any surprise about this move it would be that it wasn't for a little bigger jump than for WSU and the MVC. However, another step may be necessary before reaching the level of job that I thought he'd be trying for. 

But I agree with OT - I think WSU will be a challenging next step.

WSU is in the AAC....which will be down after being raided by the Big 12

1 minute ago, ORUalum said:

Yeah, some TU fans are already complaining that they have to deal with him twice a year now. 

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, ORUalum said:

Thanks - I'm not as up on this stuff as I should be before commenting!! I'm six years behind the times!!

• Haha 1

Be interesting to see contract details. They will give the coach pretty much anything they want. Private plane for recruiting trips and great facilities. Entry of $$ to spend in NIL BUT OT is right they are an incredibly demanding fan base. Lots of hand shaking and back slapping going on. He better make the tourney quickly. They aren't giving him 3 or 4 yrs. Doesn't seem like a great fit but I am sure he got the $$ he wanted.

• Upvote 1

The Shockers expect NCAA tournament appearances on a regular basis and not just average seasons.  The big question is: Can Mills recruit all his Houston/Texas players to come to Wichita?  That is where he has had success.