Confirmed: Paul Mills to Wichita State

Old Titan

Just now, vcboy2000 said:

I have a feeling the AD saw this coming. Hopefully he is prepared with a someone who can come in and salvage the players / recruits. 

Yeah we are going to find out real quick what AD Johnson is made of. I remember when Sutton left they immediately promoted an assistant as interim and it stabilized things a bit. Albert Owens, eman, Javan white, Chris Miller, rj fuqua ect all stayed and that ended pretty nasty with Sutton

• Old Titan changed the title to Confirmed: Paul Mills to Wichita State
1 minute ago, Old Titan said:

Well there you go. Pretty much official. Thanks to Coach Mills for providing me (and many others) with some of the best basketball memories of the past twenty five years.

If Springman is the guy, that seems like a good hire. But if we need to go outside the "nest" I would think that ORU would be an extremely attractive place for an up and coming coach. Good environment. Great facilities. Good student and community support (this past year, anyway). High expectations. I'm sad to lose him, but not at all surprised. I wish him well.

We are definately not starting over. We were starting over 6 years ago. The program is light years ahead of where we were then. 

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, titansforever said:

Looks like we're starting all over again ........ 😬

That remains to be seen; lot of positive momentum right now.

Think of it as the leg of a mile relay:  as long as you are in or near the lead, the transfer of the baton is the key to success.

Thanks Coach Mills! Congratulations and keep climbing!

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, vcboy2000 said:

We are definately not starting over. We were starting over 6 years ago. The program is light years ahead of where we were then. 

I agree. New building & recent success shows it can be done here with the right people in place.

• Upvote 1

Think we’ll keep the new recruits?  Josh Jones?  That’s a real momentum killer for recruiting.  

Rob

I didn’t think he would leave for Wichita State, but after looking around a bit online, I can see the appeal. They have a good NIL program set up, a big fan base with deep pockets, and a winnable, but highly respected conference. It’s a great opportunity for him, and I hope he does a great job and can continue representing Christ on a bigger platform. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

I'm sure our brethren in the Summit League are glad to see him go. 🙂 No more "It's too cold in Sioux Falls!"

I'm sure he's glad to not have to go up there anymore either! 😂

2 minutes ago, ORob1 said:

Think we’ll keep the new recruits?  Josh Jones?  That’s a real momentum killer for recruiting.  

Rob

All depends on how quickly the job is filled, and by whom.  That individual will be contacting returning players, current recruits, his recruits from wherever he is now, etc.

It will be a hot mess for a while, but the right guy will handle it accordingly (see:  "Tang, Jerome - Kansas State")

...and the wrong guy will not (see:  "Konkol, Eric - Tulsa")

The more I think about it, the more I come to the same conclusion:  this is a bad move for Paul Mills AND Wichita State, for a number of reasons that we can delve into as the dust settles.

And frankly, it wouldn't surprise me in the least if, in the next 24-to-72 hours, he changes his mind and returns to ORU.

Season 6 What GIF by The Office

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, Old Titan said:

And frankly, it wouldn't surprise me in the least if, in the next 24-to-72 hours, he changes his mind and returns to ORU.

image.thumb.png.da1814df006e2db7788c0e4277b87712.png

I'm guessing there will be a rush to name a new head coach before the ribbon cutting of the new Mike Carter Athletic Center on April 19th.

Find it hard to imagine President Billy Wilson standing there for pictures on this momentous occasion without a basketball coach standing right next to him...

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, ORUalum said:

image.thumb.png.da1814df006e2db7788c0e4277b87712.png

I'm telling ya, Wichita as a city and Shocker Nation as a fan base are NOT for the timid.  

Time will tell - this is a bad fit.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2