Confirmed: Paul Mills to Wichita State

Old Titan

Figured a bombshell like this one deserved it's own thread...

Count me as another who would love to see Russell Springman get the job...if Wichita is not offering more as an assistant. 😬

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Didn’t see WSU coming but I knew he was gone. Been in the coaching world long enough to know how things work. 

Happy for Mills (it makes complete sense) but also happy where ORU MBB is at. I wonder who will be the next HC???

• Like 1

That is a great opportunity for Coach Mills.  He did all he could at ORU and most likely was not going to improve on a 30-5 season anytime soon.  Shockers were a very good team under Gregg Marshall and made the Final Four ten years ago.  Their conference is going to be very winnable in the next few years as three of the top schools leave for the Big 12.  It may come down to Wichita and Memphis for the crown in the AAC.

If he leaves I hope he’ll schedule us-and not be afraid to come into the Mabee Center…

Rob

• Upvote 1

If it's true (sounds more and more like it), how many of our players will jump ship?

Can he take players with him?  I’d hate for those COVID years to be used in Wichita.  Is that possible?

Rob

3 minutes ago, titansforever said:

If it's true (sounds more and more like it), how many of our players will jump ship?

The ORU players don't even know the answer to that question yet, unless Springman is already being announced to them as the successor in the same meeting Dan Hawk alluded to.  In that case, they can plan their futures accordingly based on their relationship with him.

Otherwise, expect most/all to enter the portal as a proactive precaution; until they hear "the pitch" about staying from whoever gets the gig.

the goal was 20 more years.....ORU barely made it another 20 hours from the publishing of this article...😬

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, ORob1 said:

Can he take players with him?  I’d hate for those COVID years to be used in Wichita.  Is that possible?

Rob

Sure it is. 

And it's no different than 40 years ago, just easier:  Nolan Richardson got the gig at Tulsa in 1980 because he promised to bring four immediately eligible players from his national championship juco team.  The rest is history...

Just now, ORUalum said:

the goal was 20 more years.....ORU barely made it another 20 hours from the publishing of this article...😬

Looking back it seems like this was an attempt to get in front of the story

I have a feeling the AD saw this coming. Hopefully he is prepared with a someone who can come in and salvage the players / recruits. 

On a serious note, thanks to Coach Mills.  ORUMBB barely had a pulse when he took over 6 years ago.  Job well done.

With the new practice facility and 2 recent trips to the tournament ORU should get plenty of interest in the opening.

Like everyone else, I've got Coach Springmann at the top of my list.

• Upvote 3

Looks like we're starting all over again ........ 😬