Confirmed: Paul Mills to Wichita State

Old Titan

50 minutes ago, Old Titan said:

High praise from Kelly Hines, who I've never heard say anything similar about a coach on her beat.

Hines and Bill Haisten are obviously among a select few who feel they actually got to know the real Paul Mills, and most who belong to that exclusive club have very positive things to say.

Won't deny much of my snarkiniss toward the man the past six years stems from never earning that opportunity myself:  spoke to him just once in an awkward, rushed introduction preceding the 2021 Courtside Countdown, where I basically apologized for having doubted him leading up the Sweet Sixteen run.  Honestly, go very little in return in the way of a response and future encounters at similar events never even warranted a "S'up?"

After decades of chumminess with Bill Self, Barry Hinson, and Scott Sutton it was a chilly reminder that things were different in terms of my relation with ORU Basketball, but I could live with it.

But I would be lying if I didn't admit right now to a certain amount of anticipation to once again feel like I know the head basketball coach at my alma mater is a really good dude, and not just have to take others word for it.

Great point. I've unplugged a bit from the program at this point, and haven't really had an opportunity to be around Coach Mills enough to get to know him, but I was around Scott Sutton enough that he knew me by name and greeted me when I saw him. I believe it was the year that he was fired we were on vacation in Europe and I found out that Scott and his family was there also, and were visiting the same city we were staying in. I contacted him by way of Facebook Messenger, told him we were also in town and asked where he was staying. He replied right away, told me where they had stayed, but by that point they had moved on and were in another country.

I have always marveled at the fact that a guy like me, only marginally plugged in to sports in general, but a great lover of ORU basketball, would have the chance to get to know a Division I coach well enough that he'd respond to me in a situation like that, and to be friendly to me when he saw me around the program. It made me feel like ORU is really a very special place for fans of the program.

I think things have changed a bit since that point, not quite the inclusiveness there once was, but ORU is still a very special place for fans.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, ORUFanbase said:

True and my guess is that 2nd season has to be it or 3rd season will be hot seat galore. 

Probably more like 2 years. He doesn't have the charisma and panache as good ol' Barry Hinson, who lasted many years at Missouri State due to the sheer will of his personality. 

Not winning is one thing, but not winning and being an introvert makes it doubly difficult. 

I was pretty bummed to hear this news yesterday. I really thought he was going to stick around and continue to build the program. Obviously, you can't blame him for taking the money. I'd probably do it too. 

Agree with others' opinions here that this is not a strong move for him. I see the American becoming a single-bid league in the near future, especially if (when) Memphis moves on.  Wichita State's March expectations are not going to mesh well with being in a one-bid league. I wouldn't want to be the coach of a program in that situation. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, oruvoice said:

Probably more like 2 years. He doesn't have the charisma and panache as good ol' Barry Hinson, who lasted many years at Missouri State due to the sheer will of his personality. 

Not winning is one thing, but not winning and being an introvert makes it doubly difficult. 

Good point. Should be interesting.

9 hours ago, Old Titan said:

Possibilities I am now hopeful for in 2023-24:

• Scheduling no more than two non-D1 opponents at home.
  • Scheduling no fewer than two P5 opponents anywhere.
  • Holiday tournament play.  Preferably somewhere nice.
  • A two-guard line-up.  Heck, maybe even a 1-guard line-up.
  • A 2-guard over 6'4" tall.  Might settle for anyone over 6 feet.
  • At least occasional screening away from the ball.
  • At least occasional post-up play.
  • At least occasional timeouts before a double-digit opponent run.
  • At least occasional full-court pressure defense.
  • At least occasional light-hearted humor.
  • More than 3 questions asked/answered in post-game radio interviews.
  • At least 90% attendance by head coach in post-game radio interviews.
  • At least 75% attendance by head coach at the weekly coach's show.
  • Fewer sugar-coated, obscure, misleading metrics.
  • More plain-spoken, relevant, insightful observations.
  • Embracing the annual post-season trip to Sioux Falls as the well-run event it actually is.
  • Neckties.

I think this list explains why I am having trouble making myself care that Mills is gone.  Things will be different.  Fine, but different.

I guess I missed my chance to get Paul to sign my coaches ball.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, EagleManiac said:

I was pretty bummed to hear this news yesterday. I really thought he was going to stick around and continue to build the program. Obviously, you can't blame him for taking the money. I'd probably do it too. 

Agree with others' opinions here that this is not a strong move for him. I see the American becoming a single-bid league in the near future, especially if (when) Memphis moves on.  Wichita State's March expectations are not going to mesh well with being in a one-bid league. I wouldn't want to be the coach of a program in that situation. 

Good points made. The AAC of Mills does what he has to could be easier to compete in. But he has to start this upcoming season.

20 minutes ago, Old Titan said:

Wish I could share your magnanimity, and I don't begrudge anyone feeling that way, but with this being such a lateral move I find it hard to do so. 

Wichita State is a rival, both on the floor and in recruiting.  I do not wish them success with our former coach at the helm, for the obvious petty but sincere reasons you might imagine.

Agreed....  I would put this in the same category of Bill Self moving on to Tulsa (or if Scott Sutton had taken the Wichita State gig that he was offered in the mid-2000's).  I like both of these coaches, as well as Paul Mills, but if I am competing with you for talent and wins, I want to win - not come in second.  I will root for you as long as I don't take a second chair to you. 😄

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Bogus Smith said:

Agreed....  I would put this in the same category of Bill Self moving on to Tulsa (or if Scott Sutton had taken the Wichita State gig that he was offered in the mid-2000's).  I like both of these coaches, as well as Paul Mills, but if I am competing with you for talent and wins, I want to win - not come in second.  I will root for you as long as I don't take a second chair to you. 😄

Preach GIF

Bottom line for me is I can't fault Mills for leaving for more $ or a better opportunity but I am perplexed why he gave the players and coaches a 10 minute window yesterday to attend a meeting where he told them. Max's Dad even confirmed this with me. Whether or not it is true it appears Mills had to call a quick meeting due to information being leaked. Now instead of Mills leaving and still being loved and appreciated for what he did it seems some of that luster has been taken away. I really thought Mills was more of a legacy guy but i was wrong. He said all the right things that led me to believe this but in the end his words did not match his actions. The wild card is none of us know the entire story.

Just now, eagle88 said:

Bottom line for me is I can't fault Mills for leaving for more $ or a better opportunity but I am perplexed why he gave the players and coaches a 10 minute window yesterday to attend a meeting where he told them. Max's Dad even confirmed this with me. Whether or not it is true it appears Mills had to call a quick meeting due to information being leaked. Now instead of Mills leaving and still being loved and appreciated for what he did it seems some of that luster has been taken away. I really thought Mills was more of a legacy guy but i was wrong. He said all the right things that led me to believe this but in the end his words did not match his actions. The wild card is none of us know the entire story.

I agree and my thoughts are the same. He will have to drop the preacher man vibes at WSU. He has to win win win. 

• Upvote 1

This will be interesting to see how this pans out later today………

1 minute ago, ORUalum said:

Add your own captions…….Go

9 minutes ago, TrueBlue82 said:

I don‘t want to take away from the Mills to Wichita theme of this thread, but also can’t let this post sit there without a counter-comment.

I am not a Billy Wilson “fan”, but I do respect and appreciate what has transpired at my Alma Mater during his tenure.  ORU is in a MUCH healthier position (on SO many levels) than when he arrived.  To compare him (unfavorably) with a previous disgraced president that left ORU in shambles is downright criminal.  

Now, I return you to regularly scheduled programming - the “Coach Mills to Wichita” thread…

People are complicated.

Men are complicated.

Oral was complicated.

Billie Wilson is complicated.

• Upvote 2

46 minutes ago, ORUFanbase said:

I agree and my thoughts are the same. He will have to drop the preacher man vibes at WSU. He has to win win win. 

They could care less about what type of person he is. They want back in the tourney and quicky!:)

Heck, Gregg Marshall is one of the biggest jerks around and they loved him!:)

• Upvote 1