Confirmed: Paul Mills to Wichita State

Old Titan

1 hour ago, ORUTerry said:

I wonder how Shocker Nation will react to Coach Mills' frequent ruminations and congratulations for players and coaches from Baylor and Oral Roberts?

Best wishes to Coach Mills but WSU can have him.....also as an aside....Just gotta say that Kelly Hines has quite a set of nails on her.....TheEagleman couldn't help but find that fascinating.... Image result for Cosmo Kramer

22 minutes ago, theeagleman5 said:

Best wishes to Coach Mills but WSU can have him.....also as an aside....Just gotta say that Kelly Hines has quite a set of nails on her.....TheEagleman couldn't help but find that fascinating.... Image result for Cosmo Kramer

• Haha 2

26 minutes ago, theeagleman5 said:

Jerry Seinfeld Agree GIF

Interesting that most people on the message board are more excited about Springman becoming the head coach than sad about Mills leaving. I for one am in that camp. I liked Mills and greatly appreciate how far he took our program , however I believe Springman is passionate about ORU and likely can take us further. I first met Springman 2 years ago at an ORU basketball camp where we sat and talked for 45 minutes. He poured out his heart and I could see how passionate he was about developing young men and you could see his love and commitment to Christ. Since then my wife( a very good judge of character) has met Springman on several occasions and she said to me last night when he talks with you he looks deeply into your eyes. For sure he is an intense man and likely will have a good balance between winning and developing and caring about his players.

• Upvote 5

Ah Fanbase and Alum....you read TheEaglemans' mind.....love that episode.....but as an aside comment....perhaps there is a hidden side to Ms. Hines that we ORU basketball fans are not aware of......I never really cared for her but now am willing to give her a 2nd chance and looking forward to her covering Coach Springmann and our new look ORU Golden Eagles in 2023-24......Image result for Cosmo Kramer

32 minutes ago, theeagleman5 said:

Ah Fanbase and Alum....you read TheEaglemans' mind.....love that episode.....but as an aside comment....perhaps there is a hidden side to Ms. Hines that we ORU basketball fans are not aware of......I never really cared for her but now am willing to give her a 2nd chance and looking forward to her covering Coach Springmann and our new look ORU Golden Eagles in 2023-24......Image result for Cosmo Kramer

George Costanza Seinfeld GIF

9 minutes ago, tmh8286 said:

I feel like things have gradually gotten more negative towards Coach Mill on here over the past couple of days, and I want to say that I tremendously appreciate what he did for our program, the integrity he brought, the quality of players he recruited and developed, and the success he brought to the program. 

It's the very nature of coaches to be competitive. It's one of the characteristics that draws them to coaching in the first place. It's only reasonable to assume that that extends to other aspects of their lives as well. While a coach is an employee in one sense, they're also a business person, seeking success in the business their involved in. As a business person myself I made decisions that I regret now, but there's no way to go back and correct them at this point. I certainly can't begrudge Coach Mills for trying to take his business model to the next level when the opportunity arises. I think the desire for the next level is part of the deeply engrained competitiveness that helped make him a success at ORU. His stock will likely never be higher than it is at this point at ORU. I can't blame him for weighing the options and deciding to take the next step. 

I doubt that he ever said anything in interviews or to the public that he considered to be untrue at the time, or would look back on now and feel was not true. As fans we want to interpret those things in a way that is favorable to ourselves.

To Coach Mills I say, thanks, Coach, for all you did for us. I appreciate the time you spent at ORU and all you did to move our program forward. I firmly believe that this is part of God's plan - for you as a coach and for the ORU basketball program. You are leaving the program in the best shape it has been in for many years, if ever, primed and ready for even greater success. Thanks so much for your part in preparing the way for the future.

If this job would have been available for him after the sweet 16 he would have taken it. Won 30 games and could lose 5 to 6 of his top 7 players so would have to rebuild and hit the portal hard. Bigger conference and probably 2 to 3 times more $$ than what ORU can afford. If he can produce a winner in the next couple of seasons and a Big 12 job comes available, he will throw his hat in for that one. This scenario covers about 90% of college coaches. Nothing wrong with that and just the way the system works. 

Have always heard great things about Coach Springmann from his time at TX and he has been mentioned as a plus recruiter. 

I am sure he is looking forward to showing off the new facilities soon to future recruits!:)

• Upvote 2

TheEagleman is also EXCITED that Coach Mills is a Shocker......:hc_mills:

56 minutes ago, ORUalum said:

Informative interview. 

Summary: ORU fans are not passionate enough compared to WSU fans.

ORU Fans have work to do in 23-24 to meet that expectation. 

Tim Johnson is sub-par compared to WSU AD. Tim has an impressive background.

Just now, theeagleman5 said:

TheEagleman is also EXCITED that Coach Mills is a Shocker......:hc_mills:

Jerry Seinfeld GIF

Just now, ORUFanbase said:

Informative interview. 

My take away was that he wants to win on a bigger level than ORU can provide....fanbase, university resources,  NIL MONEY!!! etc.

I thought he was pretty forthright in the interview

Dr Wilson and Tim Johnson did make a run at him with a new contract (obviously it could not compete w/WSU dollars)

Fielded half a dozen or so inquiries after the loss in the NCAA....only spoke to 2 schools....(WSU and I'm assuming Texas Tech)

Praised Tim Johnson for moving heaven and earth to get things he wanted for the program and the players 

• Upvote 2

20 minutes ago, ORUFanbase said:

Informative interview. 

Jerry Seinfeld GIF

He wil see just how passionate WSU fans are if he doesn't win 20 games next yr!:)

• Haha 3

Newsflash....He Won't!!....well...with Houston and Cincinnati leaving I could be wrong especially if WSU plays 3 or 4 non D-1 games....but just guessing that the "passionate" fanbase at WSU would never tolerate more than one....:hc_mills: