Confirmed: Paul Mills to Wichita State

Old Titan

WHAT IF MILLS LEAVES WICHITA STATE FOR ANOTHER JOB?

If Mills leaves WSU for another job before April 15, 2024, he owes WSU $1.5 million plus repayment for his buyout from Oral Roberts. That number drops to $1.25 million prior to April 15, 2025, $1 million prior to April 15, 2026 and $750,000 prior to April 15, 2027.

One-half would be owed within 30 days of the date of termination, while Mills would be required to pay the other half one year following the date of termination.

Just now, tmh8286 said:

If he can win that's a pretty nice payday.

True. 

WHAT ARE THE INCENTIVES IN THE CONTRACT?

Mills is motivated to be mindful of Wichita State’s metrics in the NET. He cashes in $25,000 if WSU finishes in the top-40 of the end-of-season NET rankings or $10,000 for a top-50 finish. He also collects another $25,000 if WSU has a non-conference strength of scheduled rated in the top-50 of the NET rankings or $10,000 for finishing inside the top-100.

An at-large berth in the NCAA tournament nets Mills $15,000, while a round-of-32 appearance earns him another $25,000. He would earn $70,000 total for a Sweet 16 run, $110,000 total for an Elite 8 run, $160,000 for a Final Four run, $235,000 for a national title appearance and $335,000 for a national championship win.

If WSU wins 20 or 21 games, he receives $10,000, or if WSU wins 22, 23 or 24 games, he receives $20,000. He earns $25,000 if named Coach of the Year in conference and $50,000 for a national award.

If the men’s basketball team has an academic progress rate cohort score of 960 or an annual grade-point average of 2.8, Mills receives $25,000.

12 minutes ago, ORUFanbase said:

https://www.kansas.com/sports/college/wichita-state/article273595485.html

5 Year Contract - $1.25 Million and goes up per year. $8.5 Million in 5 years.

Assuming Mills fulfills his appearance obligations to earn his stipends and receives his retention bonus, he will earn $1.534 million his first year, $1.594 million his second year, $1.714 million his third year, $1.789 million his fourth year and $1.914 million his fifth year.

@Old Titan @theeagleman5 Money 💵 

3 hours ago, ORUTerry said:

Wichita State didn’t fire their coach until March 11 - so, no. 

I would assume the decision was made before the 11th and wouldn't be at all surprised if "feelers" were sent out much earlier...smaller scale Lincoln Reilly!

• Dr. Cornelius changed the title to Confirmed: Paul Mills to Wichita State

So Mills has basically doubled his paycheck for the 1st few years and can make more if he meets certain goals and metrics. If I were Mills I would bank at least half of my salary in case his ride ends in a few years at WSU. Mills will be under a lot of pressure and unless his coaching vastly improves I don’t like his chances. It will be interesting who he hires to help him recruit as KP has not proven himself to be a prolific recruiter thus far. Really good recruiting can help cover mediocre coaching, but not always. Even with our limited budget I am more positive about ORU’s future success with Springman than I am WSU’s with Mills.

• Like 4
  • Upvote 2

7 hours ago, eagle88 said:

So Mills has basically doubled his paycheck for the 1st few years and can make more if he meets certain goals and metrics. If I were Mills I would bank at least half of my salary in case his ride ends in a few years at WSU. Mills will be under a lot of pressure and unless his coaching vastly improves I don’t like his chances. It will be interesting who he hires to help him recruit as KP has not proven himself to be a prolific recruiter thus far. Really good recruiting can help cover mediocre coaching, but not always. Even with our limited budget I am more positive about ORU’s future success with Springman than I am WSU’s with Mills.

Truth Yes GIF by PragerU

Just saw that strength and conditioning coach Ashtin Meerpohl has changed his Instagram from ORU to Wichita, confirming that he will follow Coach Mills.  As someone noted previously, it shouldn't be too difficult to find a good replacement with the new facilities at the Mike Carter Athletic Center.  That said, I hate to see ORU lose Ashtin, as I have to give him much of the credit for the basketball team's excellent conditioning and lack of significant injuries for the past few years.

• Upvote 5

Dr. C and I were discussing this and losing Ashtin is a big hole to fill. He went beyond just weight lifting and had our guys focus on proper sleep and eating habits. This is an important hire for Springmann. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, ORUTerry said:

Dr. C and I were discussing this and losing Ashtin is a big hole to fill. He went beyond just weight lifting and had our guys focus on proper sleep and eating habits. This is an a VERY important hire for Springmann. 

Amendment suggested.....

• Like 1

How many strength and conditioning coaches has ORU had since longtime fixture and king of the "smedium" polo Jonathan Conneely left and went Hollywood on the self-improvement circuit?

Two or three at least, I think.  Ashtin has been Director of Sports Performance for only a couple of seasons or so, thought he was an assistant in the department prior to taking over.  Guys move around a lot in that field, particularly from schools like ORU to programs that have football.

I feel confident a suitable replacement will be hired soon; perhaps they have someone in mind already.  Best of wishes to Ashtin. 👍

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Walton entered the portal before Paul Mills was named coach; many Shocker fans were hopeful Mills  could convince the 4-star recruit to stay. 

Whether you're at ORU or Wichita State:  there's always a bigger fish (with bigger NIL deals).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Old Titan said:

Walton entered the portal before Paul Mills was named coach; many Shocker fans were hopeful Mills  could convince the 4-star recruit to stay. 

Whether you're at ORU or Wichita State:  there's always a bigger fish (with bigger NIL deals).

See Ya Duck GIF by DefyTV