Confirmed: Paul Mills to Wichita State

Old Titan

Just now, darrenj said:

They could care less about what type of person he is. They want back in the tourney and quicky!:)

Heck, Gregg Marshall is one of the biggest jerks around and they loved him!:)

reaction meme smiling GIF by EnBW

50 minutes ago, eagle88 said:

Bottom line for me is I can't fault Mills for leaving for more $ or a better opportunity but I am perplexed why he gave the players and coaches a 10 minute window yesterday to attend a meeting where he told them. Max's Dad even confirmed this with me. Whether or not it is true it appears Mills had to call a quick meeting due to information being leaked. Now instead of Mills leaving and still being loved and appreciated for what he did it seems some of that luster has been taken away. I really thought Mills was more of a legacy guy but i was wrong. He said all the right things that led me to believe this but in the end his words did not match his actions. The wild card is none of us know the entire story.

Most of the coaches out there say the same thing about legacy and loyalty and it isn't about the $$. It is almost always about the $$ and the next big chance. The way it is. 

Mills needed to get on the plane and meet and greet folks and get to work. I doubt he was really worried about ORU players and assistants overall. I would think he will be taking a couple of coaches with him. 

• Upvote 1

One of the hundreds of emails that Coach Mills responded to was TheEaglemans' and I appreciate it greatly....i also have mixed feelings and feel let down but I will have to say that every time I emailed Paul Mills (about 1-2 times a month) he ALWAYS responded....nothing earth shattering but he always thanked me for the support....so there's that.....but if Russ Springman is going to be the new ORU basketball coach then that makes me happy.....seems like a more friendly guy with a lot of experience who will continue the good work that has been done......Thanks to Coach Mills and TheEagleman wishes him much success at WSU but it won't be easy......:hc_mills:

Fantastic insight in the first 10 minutes of this Wichita talk radio snippet re: their fanbase and what Paul Mills can expect from - and be expected to provide - the Shocker faithful.

"Play Angry" as a mantra?

Will Coach Mills be willing and/or able to embrace The Dark Side that Shocker fans relish?

7 minutes ago, Old Titan said:

Fantastic insight in the first 10 minutes of this Wichita talk radio snippet re: their fanbase and what Paul Mills can expect from - and be expected to provide - the Shocker faithful.

Will Coach Mills be willing and/or able to embrace The Dark Side that Shocker fans relish?

Season 4 Wow GIF by The Office

8 minutes ago, Old Titan said:

crazy.....where do these guys get the idea that Mills is a big personality that will unite the fans, community, and shocker stakeholders.

Coach Mills has a lot of great traits, but i don't think he's ever been accused of having a magnanimous, glad handing personality.

From a distance, always got the feeling that if you weren't in the locker room or athletic dept, he did not give a rip of winning over fans, boosters, former players, etc....

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, ORUalum said:

crazy.....where do these guys get the idea that Mills is a big personality that will unite the fans, community, and shocker stakeholders.

Coach Mills has a lot of great traits, but i don't think he's ever been accused of having a magnanimous, glad handing personality.

From a distance, always got the feeling that if you weren't in the locker room or athletic dept, he did not give a rip of winning over fans, boosters, former players, etc....

LIke I said when the news first broke Tuesday:  it's just a bad fit.

• Upvote 1

According to that talk show clip expectations will be high and depend on Mills recruiting well. Which leads me to wonder - how much did Mills rely on Springmann for recruiting? Or, put another way, how much was Mills' success at ORU connected to the recruiting of Springman?

If Springmann gets the ORU head coaching position Mills may be without a key piece of what led to his success at ORU, not unlike the way we saw recruit quality drop off after Cory Williams left Scott Sutton's coaching staff. 

It will be interesting to follow Mills' recruiting success at WSU if Springmann remains at ORU.

1 hour ago, TrueBlue82 said:

I don‘t want to take away from the Mills to Wichita theme of this thread, but also can’t let this post sit there without a counter-comment.

I am not a Billy Wilson “fan”, but I do respect and appreciate what has transpired at my Alma Mater during his tenure.  ORU is in a MUCH healthier position (on SO many levels) than when he arrived.  To compare him (unfavorably) with a previous disgraced president that left ORU in shambles is downright criminal.  

Now, I return you to regularly scheduled programming - the “Coach Mills to Wichita” thread…

I repsect your opinion and not going to argue. 

But, I knew Oral personally (quite well) and despite some of his own flaws, he was a very kind, humble man. Qualities that are in short supply in 2023. 

• Upvote 1

I have heard that Patterson and KP are going with Mills. Quite honestly I think Springman will bring in even better assistants or at least I am hoping. Springman is a proven recruiter and a quality individual so more than likely he will attract the same. As I am listening to the WSU podcast talking about Mills they act like they are a BIG time program and we are really small fry. I don't think they know what they are in for with Mills and they don't understand that we are a good program that is on the rise. In the end success will speak for itself!  Successful or not Mills will walk away with a lot of $$$$ and Springman will get a much deserved pay raise. 

Wichita State was the Gongoza Junior of the Midwest with 7 straight trips to the Big Dance.   They have struggled the last two years but are still on ESPN most of the time.  They can schedule a lot of home games with mid majors in the non conference and Coach Mills will like that!

7 minutes ago, oruvoice said:

But, I knew Oral personally (quite well) and despite some of his own flaws, he was a very kind, humble man. Qualities that are in short supply in 2023. 

100% agree with you, Voice. 

• Upvote 2

I met Oral on several occasions but never really got to know him. For those of you that knew Oral was he a high level mason? I've  always found it fascinating that ORU is riddled with masonic symbols

5 minutes ago, eagle88 said:

I met Oral on several occasions but never really got to know him. For those of you that knew Oral was he a high level mason? I've  always found it fascinating that ORU is riddled with masonic symbols

I have no idea about that. We only talked sports and family stuff. He never recruited me to become a Free Mason. 😂

Just now, oruvoice said:

I have no idea about that. We only talked sports and family stuff. He never recruited me to become a Free Mason. 😂

exactly what a mason would say....🤪

• Haha 3

I'm sure Oral was a good guy and he certainly was tenacious and had a big vision. Having played for Coach Duke he shared with me that back in the 60's when he was the assistant basketball coach that he never got close to Oral as most people that did didn't last long. He may have been kind but definitely not patient

53 minutes ago, Old Titan said:

LIke I said when the news first broke Tuesday:  it's just a bad fit.

Yep. I hope they are not expecting the team to play like the Gregg Marshall teams!:)