Confirmed: Paul Mills to Wichita State

Old Titan

7 minutes ago, Bogus Smith said:

The addition of Rice and UTSA makes the Houston pipeline a reality, but who wants to live in Wichita?? 🤷‍♂️

Not many people 😂🫣🥶

Wichita???  Image result for Planes Trains and Automobiles pick up truck driver Photos....people train runs out of Stubbville.....

Image result for Planes Trains and Automobiles pick up truck driver Photos

Meanwhile, moments ago in the ORU Clubhouse at JLJ:

Texasgrip, "Long day?"

President Wilson, "Little bit."

Texasgrip, "Find anyone yet?"

President Wilson, "Working on it."

We went on to have a short (and pleasant) conversation which I won't elaborate on, but I told him I'd be praying for the school as they make their imminent decisions. He was appreciative. 

• Like 6

1 minute ago, Texasgrip said:

Meanwhile, moments ago in the ORU Clubhouse at JLJ:

Texasgrip, "Long day?"

President Wilson, "Little bit."

Texasgrip, "Find anyone yet?"

President Wilson, "Working on it."

We went on to have a short (and pleasant) conversation which I won't elaborate on, but I told him I'd be praying for the school as they make their imminent decisions. He was appreciative. 

Shark Tank Laugh GIF by ABC Network

28 minutes ago, theeagleman5 said:

Wichita???  Image result for Planes Trains and Automobiles pick up truck driver Photos....people train runs out of Stubbville.....

Image result for Planes Trains and Automobiles pick up truck driver Photos

Mills strength was not really the Xs and Os.  It was his ability to recruit well.  Their next hire needs to be able to recruit at a high level.  

4 minutes ago, ORUFanbase said:

Sam's a great guy but he was brought in to exchange videos with teams.  He hasn't been an assistant coach for us for the entire six year reign.  Russell can evaluate and recruit talent - much like Rob Walton in baseball.  How he does with routine, on-court adjustments, etc., will tell how successful he is as a head coach.  It's all about who you bring around you to get the job done.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Bogus Smith said:

Sam's a great guy but he was brought in to exchange videos with teams.  He hasn't been an assistant coach for us for the entire six year reign.  Russell can evaluate and recruit talent - much like Rob Walton in baseball.  How he does with routine, on-court adjustments, etc., will tell how successful he is as a head coach.  It's all about who you bring around you to get the job done.

Agreed. 

16 minutes ago, ORUFanbase said:

I'm told by a former Wichita resident and Friend Of The Message Board who shall remain anonymous (ORUTerry) that Bob Lutz is a fixture in the Wichita sports scene, a respected journalist with a popular sports talk radio show.  He's one of those guys who can make or break you in the court of public opinion.

He sounds less than enthusiastic about the hire.... 😬

As long as Mills is fine with the $10 million or thereabouts and doesn’t wilt if he gets fired and never gets a P5 head coaching job then he is set for life or should be. Best case scenario he proves us wrong and exceeds expectations. Worst case he makes a good salary as an assistant somewhere if his ego allows

Wow wasn't expecting this! Especially to WSU.So much for making us the next Gonzaga😦 The question is how many players can they get to stay?

2 minutes ago, jmg1984 said:

Wow wasn't expecting this! Especially to WSU.So much for making us the next Gonzaga😦 The question is how many players can they get to stay?

If the Springman rumor is true and he is going to be the next coach, I like our chances of retaining our recruits and current players. It Keeps the “family” together. 

• Upvote 1

DID YOU KNOW:

In six years at ORU, Paul Mills compiled a record of 106-84, which translates to 3.7 games over .500 per season.

Wichita State just fired a guy who was 48-34 for three years...which is 4.7 games over .500 per season.

Terrence Ross Wow GIF

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Eaglefan 21 said:

If the Springman rumor is true and he is going to be the next coach, I like our chances of retaining our recruits and current players. It Keeps the “family” together. 

I hope so!! You think Mills left because of the "Dakota Conference"?😄😦

Springman was at Texas with Rick Barnes, so he has a lot of connections with players in the Texas ranks.  He could still recruit some studs from the Longhorn state.  He also coached at San Diego, so he does have some head coaching experience.

Just throwing this idea out: would the fact that ORU is having a mountaintop experience the last few years keep some coaches away from the head position because all they can do is go down from here?  Meaning that they most likely would not be able to take the Eagles to 30 wins or a Sweet 16 finish, like Mills did.

• Upvote 1