Confirmed: Paul Mills to Wichita State

Old Titan

Way-too-early-and-only-semi-serious list of potential candidates:

• Russell Springman (ORU assistant, former Texas asst)
  • Tom Crean (former head coach at Marquette, Indiana and Georgia)
  • Bryce Drew (head coach Grand Canyon University)
  • Talvin Hester (head coach Louisiana Tech, former ORU asst)
  • Corey Williams (asst. coach Texas Tech, former Stetson head coach and ORU asst)
  • Kyan Brown (asst. coach Omaha, former NDSU and ORU asst)
  • Brian Montonati (Owasso HS head coach, father of 2025 5-star prospect Jalen Montonati) 🤩
  • Whoever is left on the bench at Baylor
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Just now, ORUFanbase said:

Memphis is it.

The Big 12 will be a monster conference next yr in hoops. Doesn't bode well for Boyton from OSU. He will need to make the tourney next yr or that job will be open.

4 minutes ago, Old Titan said:

Way-too-early-and-only-semi-serious list of potential candidates:

• Russell Springman (ORU assistant, former Texas asst)
  • Tom Crean (former head coach at Marquette, Indiana and Georgia)
  • Bryce Drew (head coach Grand Canyon University)
  • Talvin Hester (head coach Louisiana Tech, former ORU asst)
  • Corey Williams (asst. coach Texas Tech, former Stetson head coach and ORU asst)
  • Kyan Brown (asst. coach Omaha, former NDSU and ORU asst)
  • Brian Montonati (Owasso HS head coach, father of 2025 5-star prospect Jalen Montonati) 🤩

I bet there are a good amount of agents reaching out to the AD right now. He will have a good list to choose from. Couple of other guys out there with head coaching experience I would think.

5 minutes ago, Old Titan said:

Not to get too Freudian here, but anything to be made of referring to Billy Wilson as simply "the president"?

11 minutes ago, Old Titan said:

Not to get too Freudian here, but anything to be made of referring to Billy Wilson as simply "the president"?

Get Out Theatre GIF by Tony Awards

Definitely took me by surprise, but almost felt relief hearing the news. As much as I would love to have the whole cast and crew back again for one more try at glory, I would almost feel guilty if I got my wish. 

Mills making this decision will make it easier for his players to make their moves independent of him. It takes guts, but I believe he is up for the challenge. I hope to see him at Baylor in two years, especially now, and it's hard to imagine him being in that position two years from now at ORU. 

My gut says ORU is still on the rise, and our best days are still ahead of us! Mills may be setting up Springman, and if that's the case, we should expect to see he deal done by next week.

I thought that making it to the sweet 16 was a pipe dream, but sometimes God has other plans. Thank you Coach Mills!! 🙏🏼

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Players were committed but Mills wasnt....plain and simple....all that BS about making ORU the next Gonzaga. I will remember him for 74-51... thanks, pal....image.jpeg.207ab98d99d39cd9a8fb8e418789bc9d.jpeg

• Upvote 1

54 minutes ago, Old Titan said:

I don’t read too much into that.  He’s naturally going to be closer to the AD, so specifically naming him makes sense. If he really had an issue with the President, he could have not mentioned him at all.  

9 minutes ago, lakesbison said:

take David Richman...  hahaha

Congrats Paul Milla

😄 Nice try Lakes!

2 hours ago, Old Titan said:

Time will tell - this is a bad fit.

100% agree, OT.  Coach Mills is a good man and I wish him all the best, but I’m concerned that this will not work out well for him.  Hope he proves me wrong.  

Springman or Corey Williams gets my vote.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, ORUFanbase said:

WSU could make things interesting….

The addition of Rice and UTSA makes the Houston pipeline a reality, but who wants to live in Wichita?? 🤷‍♂️

• Haha 1

Hearing from more than one person who would know that the successor will be announced sooner rather than later.

So no worrying about opening a $15 million dollar basketball facility in 30 days with no basketball coach to facilitate it... 😉

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1