ORU Bracketology and rankings for 2023

eagle88

4 hours ago, ORUalum said:

14 seed vs Baylor in the latest Lunardi projection...

Undesirable match-up for both head coaches, on a number of levels...

Kind of like Scott Sutton playing OSU during either the Eddie or Sean eras. No real winners in spite of the score.

I’m curious if anyone remembers the highest (lowest) RPI we reached in the Tutt/Green/Owens era. Seems to me like it was low 50s, but I may be mistaken.

7 minutes ago, tmh8286 said:

I’m curious if anyone remembers the highest (lowest) RPI we reached in the Tutt/Green/Owens era. Seems to me like it was low 50s, but I may be mistaken.

I'm sure it is in this forum somewhere if a search is done. 🤔

1 hour ago, tmh8286 said:

Not sure; will try to do a little research on that.

I forget to even check on RPI anymore; not sure how relevant it is compared to the new NET rankings.

That being said, CBS still lists RPI on their website and I was surprised to see ORU checking in after last night at a stunning No. 36:

https://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/rankings/rpi/

Helps that Utah State is #2, followed by Houston at #14, and Saint Mary's at #26...

(NOTE:  the NCAA NET ranking after last night's win moved five spots to a not-too-shabby 59 as well.)

4 hours ago, tmh8286 said:

From RealTimeRPI:

Year RPI
2011-12 48
2004-05 50
2007-08 54
2006-07 89

It looks like the lowest RPI was actually during Morrison's Senior year.

• Thanks 2
  • Upvote 1

Latest, greatest Bracket Matrix has ORU as the highest-ranked No. 15 seed, playing the lowest-ranked No. 2 Seed Arizona.

Curious anomaly that ORU is listed as a 14-seed on 16 of the 27 individual brackets (59%), but most other entries have them as a 15 rather than 13-or-better; thus the upper-No. 15 seed consensus.

http://www.bracketmatrix.com/

Ok St and Oklahoma's NET ranking are 56 & 57 respectively. Tulsa is 235. ORU is 67. There is a very real possibility that the Golden Eagles can be the highest ranked team in Oklahoma this year. Wouldn't that be sweet!  

2 hours ago, dave said:

Ok St and Oklahoma's NET ranking are 56 & 57 respectively. Tulsa is 235. ORU is 67. There is a very real possibility that the Golden Eagles can be the highest ranked team in Oklahoma this year. Wouldn't that be sweet!  

Unfortunately, even if ORU were to run the table their final 18 regular season games, their NET will be significantly worse than now due to strength-of-schedule (or lack thereof) playing so many Quad 4 games in conference. 

I remember us getting top 25 votes after we beat #3 KU & KU. Our RPI was in the 20's-30's in season if I recall correctly. I used to watch it like a hawk during the tutt/green/yemi/owens era

This is a significant mid-major poll (everyone but the 6 biggest conferences) and Rocco Miller is a good guy to be noticing ORU’s recent surge. 

• Upvote 2

NCAA NET Rankings

ORU moves to 54 (from 56) as of Dec 22nd. We are considered a Quad 1 school - at least for the moment.

• St. Thomas:  144
  • SDSU:           210
  • WIU:              222
  • Denver:         240
  • KC:                255
  • Omaha:         268
  • ND:               280
  • NDSU:          301
  • USD:             321

others:

• St. Mary's:     16
  • Houston:         2
  • Tulsa:           245
  • Liberty:        75
  • Southerrn:   233
  • OSU:              45
  • OU:                46
  • Valpo:           310

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ORUTerry said:

NCAA NET Rankings

ORU moves to 54 (from 56) as of Dec 22nd. We are considered a Quad 1 school - at least for the moment.

• St. Thomas:  144
  • SDSU:           210
  • WIU:              222
  • Denver:         240
  • KC:                255
  • Omaha:         268
  • ND:               280
  • NDSU:          301
  • USD:             321

others:

• St. Mary's:     16
  • Houston:         2