ORU Bracketology and rankings for 2023

eagle88

4 hours ago, ORU40 said:

Couldn't agree more OT, I would add that we not only need to learn to play D we need to add the most ingredient of a good defensive team, desire. We have to want to be a good defensive TEAM. Good defense teams play tough man to man D; and equally as important, good sound team defense. An example would be the scheme is for the wing to force the offense with the ball to the baseline, which is common- keep the ball out of the lane, so the big can close off the drive, but then the weak side help defender has to come over and deny the pass into the post to replace the big that stopped the drive, and the guard has to drop to replace the weak side defender in the lane who went over to replace the big. Any of these players don't do their job (help the helper) and they get an open shot, or the weak side offense rebound for an easy put back or a new possession. One guy doesn't do his job and team D breaks down we saw that much too often last year.

One other area that I think will be huge factor in whether we are successful this year is our rotation. Coach obviously went out in the off season with the objective of getting bigger, and more athletic. He added good size and athleticism, now we need to utilize it! Playing small ball with 3 guards again will lead to the same disappointing result as last season. We are bigger, stronger and more athletic with a much deeper bench so let's take advantage of it. We need to add other options to just shooting 3's, with the athletes we have we can get up and down the floor more, attack the rim off the dribble, post up the mismatches our size will create.

Talent gives us options and hopefully we take full advantage of it!!    

This ^^^^^^

In fact, if I had to rank the five most important factors for THIS ROSTER to enjoy a "legendary" season, I would say:

1.  Desire

2.  Defense

3.  Physicality

4.  Player Rotation

5.  Offense

SCORING 85 POINTS A GAME IS NOT THE SECRET TO SUCCESS.

Not allowing your opponent to score more than you is...

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, ORU40 said:

Couldn't agree more OT, I would add that we not only need to learn to play D we need to add the most ingredient of a good defensive team, desire.

100%

Defense is effort.

5 hours ago, theeagleman5 said:

Sorry no offense meant to Tony and his family.....Anthony Roberts the best ORU player of all time, a really nice guy and TheEaglemans' personal favorite.....RIP Woosie!! 👍

I know you of all people didn't mean anythng by it; it's just still sad so many years later.  I see Rebecca at games and such and it STILL gets to me... 😢

This is all kinds of wrong; my First Team is at the bottom...

My take:

• Max Abmas, ORU

• Grant Nelson, NDSU

• Zeke Mayo, SDSU

• Paul Bruns, USD (not a typo; conference Freshman of the Year transferred from UND)

• Marko Lukic, Denver

It will be interesting to see how Nelson plays without Kruiser in the lineup.

Connor Vanover was picked as part of the all-2nd team.  He is good enough to reach that level but there are probably too many other mouths to be feed for him to get those type of numbers.

• 2 weeks later...

ORU checks in at No. 19 on this mid-major Top 25 list.

Of course, each time I see one of these I will wonder:  "Is that with or without Lufile?"

• 2 weeks later...

Expanded thoughts below on Joe Lunardi's final bracketology before the season starts, albeit not from Joe:  this blog writer for Creighton basketball wrote a thumbnail on each one of Joe's picks, including No. 14 ORU vs. No. 3 Indiana. then stick's Joe's name in the headline for the search engines.

To paraphrase the words of everyone's favorite Cajun, Bobby Boucher Jr., "Now dat's what I call some high-quality click bait."