Transfers

Keenan Henderson

best of luck to Luka....he was an intriguing prospect...sorry it did not work out for whatever reason

the only name on the bench I'm worried about is Sir Issac.  it was a surprising he did not get more minutes.  he's got a P5 frame and athleticism.  the Summit does not see many like him.  i truly believe he could develop into a dominant player in the league 

• Like 1

Not surprising as he was the last man off the bench, but bummer to see him go. He's the kind of guy that could really become something. Best of luck to him! 

One thing about our coaching staff is they let the players know their expectations and if they are not met there is no guarantee they will be back. I heard Luka had a difficult time being away from home and adjusting to a new culture and didn't show the attitude or drive that was needed. Hopefully he will find success somewhere.

With all the transfer talk and upper level recruiting that Mills and his staff are trying to do, I am curious if they are trying to recruit/attract players who share the school's  values and beliefs. I remember either President Wilson or Mike Carter saying in an interview that the desire was for the athletic department to be more of a "mission force" than a "mission field." Just wondering if some of you guys who are closer to the program have any insight on it. I'm not one that believes every player recruited must be a mature Christian, but I would be interested to know what kind of student the staff is going after and attracting to ORU.

I know most of the guys on the team and I would say Coach Mills is recruiting the best talent he can find that are good kids, won't get in a lot of trouble and like the ORU environment. Most seem to have come from a Christian background and want to be in an ORU type of setting. Isaac McBride loves ORU and appreciates what he has now as KU and Vandy were not a good fit for him because they lacked the spirituality aspect he was looking for.  Trey Phipps having been raised around ORU and in a Christian environment is also very happy to be at ORU. Sir Isaac also grew up in a strong Christian home and seems to love ORU as does Big Maple. I have heard that our new incoming recruit Cameron Amboree comes from a strong Christian background. DJ Weaver definitely comes from a  Christian home. I will have to ask Carlos Jurgens. He is an incredibly nice person who has a heart to help others.  Let's not leave out Max! He has great parents that instilled in him ORU type values. I would say at the very least Mills  will only entertain athletes that are decent students and good young men but with that said they probably don't have to be a Christian when they step on campus. Hope this helps a little.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 3

You never know why some players fall out of favor with a coaching staff:  lower ceiling athletically than anticipated, inability to absorb coaching or culture, poor or distracted attitude, or just basically not living up to expectations.

Best for both parties to fold their cards early in the hand rather than going bust on a scholarship for 3-to-4 years

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Terrance Shannon (Texas Tech) entered the transfer portal this morning… fresh off the team’s loss to Duke   

17 minutes ago, ORUalum said:

Perused the Valpo board and they were pretty upset to see him go. I think he would be a good addition.

Jonathan Alexandre is transferring... I don't think that he is on scholarship. Preferred walk-on?

what is up with Murray State... they have 7 players in the transfer portal.

edit: I forgot that they had a coaching change. Their coach left for LSU. Steve Prohm (former coach) is now back 

Was surprised Jonathan Alexandre never played in any games this year, not even against the non D1 schools. He can probably transfer to D2 or D3 school.

Sure be nice to get a few higher profile guys from the portal I think the coaches have been on the recruiting trail.

As of Thursday morning (3/31), there are 1,022 players in the transfer portal. 

• Upvote 1

Wow! That is a boatload of players! If my calculations are correct(hopefully a tribute to my ORU Stats class) that is approximately 1/4 of the scholarshiped players in D1! Like we saw the dramatic turnaround with Iowa State this season. They went from being a 2 win team last year to making a nice run in the tourney this year. Being a good or bad team can now change overnight!