Scott Sutton Released

WeirdAlORU

Just now, ManiacAlum said:

And even if that were true, you admit to firing him by phone? That's bad enough.

I'm in total agreement with this. Even the most generous version of events involves SS getting fired over email and a phone call and not in person, which seems low for a beloved public figure who spent over two decades at the school.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Bad Blood said:

To repeat... you don't think the people reporting on this spoke to people inside of the department? You think they just all got together, several competitors from print, radio and tv outlets, national and local, and decided to make this up?

Did they all meet at Ron's Hamburgers in the first 15 minutes after the news broke to devise a plan?

You don't know how it works.

Once again, I simply asked what proof there is. Journalists lazily citing each other is not a primary source. Sorry.

2 minutes ago, Dr. Cornelius said:

Once again, I simply asked what proof there is. Journalists lazily citing each other is not a primary source. Sorry.

Journalists citing sources within the organization who do not wish to go on the record is how journalism gets done. Without it the folks in power control all of the information.

• Upvote 1

I am a little skeptical of unnamed sources after how the "no tattoo rule" spread out of nowhere between these same journalists on Twitter each claiming to have "sources" about it.

When actually watching any ORU game this season (or a simple Google search) would have proven otherwise.

Could this faith test thing be legit? Of course. The people presenting the information are suspect.

images.duckduckgo.com.jpg

41 minutes ago, Bad Blood said:

I'm in total agreement with this. Even the most generous version of events involves SS getting fired over email and a phone call and not in person, which seems low for a beloved public figure who spent over two decades at the school.

I guess if he admits to the lesser charge of just being a terrible boss then technically it clears him of being an absolute liar (he conveniently leaves out when Sutton was contacted).

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Dr. Cornelius said:

I am a little skeptical of unnamed sources after how the "no tattoo rule" spread out of nowhere between these same journalists on Twitter each claiming to have "sources" about it.

When actually watching any ORU game this season (or a simple Google search) would have proven otherwise.

Could this faith test thing be legit? Of course. The people presenting the information are suspect.

It may not be 100% up to date, but the tattoo story did not come out of nowhere. Multiple people on this board, myself included, have heard from athletic department sources, that it was a direct order from Billy Wilson. It is no longer in effect because it was reversed by the Board. The "faith test" is most likely the same story. Realistically, these rules were probably only a temporary thing until someone could shut Billy down. Scott probably didn't have to recruit under these restrictions for a long period of time. But the fact that Billy attempted to implement them at all and for any period of time is, for me, a shocking embarrassment. He's out of touch with alumni and the student body if he thinks rules like these are a good representation of our school.   

100% factual or not, this stuff is getting national press. People are reading about ORU again in a very negative and embarrassing light. Most people haven't heard a word about ORU since Richard and Lindsey were on Larry King, and now we're back in the news for something that should have been minor news in the Tulsa market. 

Final thought. Even if the best case scenario that TrueBlue82 laid out were true, Billy's tweets are VERY misleading. Total lack of character. 

One more thought just popped into my head. Scott must be loving this. His TERRIBLE record over the last couple of years has just been wiped clean because of the stories coming out. I'm sure he's devastated, but this could not be playing out any better for him (and worse for ORU). 

Those in the ORU community are aware of what a great place ORU is and the overall quality of the student body, faculty, staff, etc.  There is still an opportunity to handle this situation in the right way and defuse most of the issues, and then take an opportunity while people are paying attention, to sell the positive things about ORU that many people may not be familiar with i.e. the extensive community outreach programs, summer missions programs, positive academic achievements, recent participation in the hyper loop competition, and the reasons why a place like ORU is exactly where many parents would feel very comfortable sending their kids and many students would want to attend.

• Upvote 1

Amen, Jason and Eaglemaniac...let's have a press conference ASAP and discuss all the issues openly.....then let's get rid of this lying weasel, Billy Wilson quickly and install a President who is in the 21st Century but will still uphold the Biblical values/principles on which ORU was founded......these past 36 hours have been just a nightmare.....:tmi:

1 hour ago, theeagleman5 said:

Amen, Jason and Eaglemaniac...let's have a press conference ASAP and discuss all the issues openly ......

That would require a degree of professionalism that has been missing throughout this entire affair.

Carter is holding a press conference at 2:30...

• Upvote 1

Billy Wilson is a coward if he does not show up also, make a statement, issue an apology, and answer all questions forthrightly.

• Upvote 1

Did anyone watch chapel? Dr. Wilson addressed this issue for about 8 minutes at the beginning.

"We do not have a test of faith for our athletes. However, we have developed a Whole Person Champion evaluation. Athletes are evaluated in four areas: athleticism, academics, social adeptness, and spiritual life. You can still be recruited if one of the areas is weaker than the others, providing your cumulative grade qualifies."

Paraphrased quotation of what Billy had to say about the "faith test". Anyone able to pull a clip of the address and post it here?

9 minutes ago, EagleManiac said:

"We do not have a test of faith for our athletes. However, we have developed a Whole Person Champion evaluation. Athletes are evaluated in four areas: athleticism, academics, social adeptness, and spiritual life. You can still be recruited if one of the areas is weaker than the others, providing your cumulative grade qualifies."

Semi-paraphrased quotation of what Billy had to say about the "faith test". Anyone able to pull a clip of the address and post it here?

quasi faith test????

definitely sounds like faith is evaluated, but not a necessarily a deal breaker????

Oh boy....I guess Carter's Presser won't be live streamed on ORUATHLETICS.COM....:|......Wilson sounds like such a weasel....no way he shows up this afternoon. He's more comfortable addressing 18-21 year old kids most of whom have never shown up at an ORU basketball game and probably don't care what he said.....Wilson won't have the balls to address experienced adult reporters (most of whom probably like Scott Sutton) and who will blister him with questions that he can't answer with a straight face.....should be interesting.....if I were Mike Carter, I would start the Press Conference with...."hey, how bout that ORU baseball win over OU last night !?!?!?".....;-)