Scott Sutton Released

WeirdAlORU

this is why you have a press conference tomorrow morning and separate fact from fiction.

let the media ask all the questions they want of Carter and Wilson.

as someone else said.......get in front of this before it goes national.

3 minutes ago, EagleManiac said:

I can say with about 99% certainty that at one point, athletes were forced to cover their tattoos (remember when Adam Grenville wore those awful short sleeve shirts under his jersey?). I think the rule was shut down by the board, but Billy at least attempted it for a period of time. 

Which may be true (and idiotic) but if you have watched our games this year you could see it's not the case.

Which makes me question Gottlieb's "Faith exam" info.

1 hour ago, ORUIllini said:

Well, this is all very interesting reading as more details become available....the best way to take some of the sting out of the debacle would be to make a splash with the next coach.....here's a name that I thought of, that in my opinion would be a splash....Mark Gottfried....let go by NC State and played one season at ORU in early 80's.....anyone have a thought?

If there is a problem with tattoos I doubt they'll consider a divorcee whose daughter is a swimsuit model. Not to mention this was probably also viewed as a cost saving move, and I doubt Gottfried would be interested after making $2.5 million annually.

I find it hard to believe that at ANY point in ORU's history, the administration has stood in the way of recruiting an athlete because of a tattoo. Come on now...

This is just Gottlieb, and others, dishing out some hot takes. And, pretty much sounds like every conversation I've ever had with someone who hates ORU.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Dr. Cornelius said:

Which may be true (and idiotic) but if you have watched our games this year you could see it's not the case.

Which makes me question Gottlieb's "Faith exam" info.

just speculating........my guess is Wilson, post Roundtree choking out his pregnant girlfriend, told Sutton to bring in better characters.

.....remember he was hired just a few months after the Rountree incident and was on the board at the time.

if that's the case, i have no issue.  if there was an actual "faith test" then that is a problem.....i don't even think the university has a "faith test"

• Upvote 1

This a great day for ORU basketball. I'm glad to see the school still cares about winning. This program has the potential to be GREAT, it's about time we start acting like it.

• Upvote 1

Isn't a faith test the thing where you close your eyes, cross your arms and fall backward from an elevated position hoping a group of people catch you?

Nice guy and straight-shooter John Holcomb of KOTV just skewered ORU's move on 9pm and 10pm news. 

Can only imagine how harsh the coverage will be in Tulsa World tomorrow morning. I'm expecting a mostly-straight-forward news story from Ben Johnson plus a column from Bill Haisten, and neither will pull any punches.

Things you can take to the bank:

1. Scott Sutton was indeed given an ultimatum by Billy Wilson to fire Sean Sutton, or else he and Sean both stood the risk of being fired.  Scott refused.

2. Scott first learned of the press release announcing his removal from one his daughters while at a youth soccer game. She found out about it on Twitter.

3. Billy Wilson gave the coaching staff an edict almost two years ago to start signing players "who more closely reflect our student body".  He also told them to quit recruiting players with tattoos, though it is unclear whether that policy was lifted regarding some recruits, or simply ignored by the coaches. 

4. Doug Gottlieb is very close to both Sean and Scott through their time together ar OSU. Rest assured that probably everything Doug has to say in the matter is coming straight from the horses' mouths. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, ORUalum said:

Wilson trying to do damage control.

ORU sucks at PR.......you don't let a guy go after 18 years like this.  get your ducks in row and do it properly.

Interesting wording here - "notified in writing and by phone".  This does not preclude Scott from finding out via twitter that he was fired.  "Notified in writing" could mean sending an email and "by phone" could include leaving a message on voice mail.  It does not demonstrate that Billy talked to Scott.  This sure sounds like double speak, with very little integrity.

It is unbelievable that Wilson did not have the courage to tell Scott face-to-face that he was being terminated.  This was the highest paid employee at ORU, and arguably, at least in some circles, the face of the school.  If Wilson does not have the ability to fire Scott in person, how can he make other tough decisions that are needed to run the University?  Herein is an example of an administrator who is not a leader.

It has been my personal opinion for the last couple of years that Scott was being set-up for failure.  The restrictions that were placed on recruiting, the expulsion of Billbury, and other things caused me to question the current administration.  I have wondered why he (Wilson) would do this to our school.  Some have opined that Wilson does not truly understand the vision of the school.  I think that is part of the issue, but could jealously be involved here as well?   You know the next coach will not make more than Wilson.  Scott is certainly better known in Tulsa as well as nationally, except in some very narrow circles.  I picked up an alumni magazine a few months ago, and as I flipped through it, it seemed that Wilson's picture was on every page.  So I went back and counted - he was on two-thirds of the pages of the magazine.  (I wonder who thinks that someone will give to the school because they see a picture of the school administrator - who is not even an alum.)

I truly hope that the Trustees who read this Board, have the wisdom to understand that the school has lost its way, and the courage to act to return ORU to its founding vision.

• Upvote 5

4 minutes ago, dbl78 said:

Interesting wording here - "notified in writing and by phone".  This does not preclude Scott from finding out via twitter that he was fired.  "Notified in writing" could mean sending an email and "by phone" could include leaving a message on voice mail.  It does not demonstrate that Billy talked to Scott.  This sure sounds like double speak, with very little integrity.

It is unbelievable that Wilson did not have the courage to tell Scott face-to-face that he was being terminated.  This was the highest paid employee at ORU, and arguably, at least in some circles, the face of the school.  If Wilson does not have the ability to fire Scott in person, how can he make other tough decisions that are needed to run the University?  Herein is an example of an administrator who is not a leader.

It has been my personal opinion for the last couple of years that Scott was being set-up for failure.  The restrictions that were placed on recruiting, the expulsion of Billbury, and other things caused me to question the current administration.  I have wondered why he (Wilson) would do this to our school.  Some have opined that Wilson does not truly understand the vision of the school.  I think that is part of the issue, but could jealously be involved here as well?   You know the next coach will not make more than Wilson.  Scott is certainly better known in Tulsa as well as nationally, except in some very narrow circles.  I picked up an alumni magazine a few months ago, and as I flipped through it, it seemed that Wilson's picture was on every page.  So I went back and counted - he was on two-thirds of the pages of the magazine.  (I wonder who thinks that someone will give to the school because they see a picture of the school administrator - who is not even an alum.)

I truly hope that the Trustees who read this Board, have the wisdom to understand that the school has lost its way, and the courage to act to return ORU to its founding vision.

Fantastic post. I had forgotten about the unilateral decision re: Billbury. 

Frankly, from what I've heard about Billy Wilson from a couple of friends who have worked for him, I can't say I'm surprised to learn that he's a snake. 

The guy I simply can't understand in all this is Mike Carter.  Never dreamed he would turn his back on Scott and Sean like this, not after all that the Suttons meant to his own family the past couple of decades.  

Incredibly disappointing  that he would, at best, allow - and, at worst, support - such a misguided and ill-conceived plan.

10 minutes ago, Old Titan said:

The guy I simply can't understand in all this is Mike Carter.  Never dreamed he would turn his back on Scott and Sean like this, not after all that the Suttons meant to his own family the past couple of decades.  

Incredibly disappointing  that he would, at best, allow - and, at worst, support - such a misguided and ill-conceived plan.

I doubt he supported this decision. Would not be surprised to get another press release tomorrow announcing Mike's "retirement". 

It sounds like the tattoo rumor is true. Does anybody have any knowledge of the "faith test" that Doug mentioned?

3 minutes ago, Bad Blood said:

This is true

So did Sutton just ignore the rule and cause friction between the coaching staff and admin?

Just now, Dr. Cornelius said:

So did Sutton just ignore the rule and cause friction between the coaching staff and admin?

You seem to be surprised that there was friction between an employee and the employer that just, uh, "released" him.

Just now, Bad Blood said:

You seem to be surprised that there was friction between an employee and the employer that just, uh, "released" him.

Did I say that?

I asked if the rule was just ignored.