Transfer Portal 2024

Eaglefan 21

I don’t expect any players besides McBride to even have the option to return. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, GoldenEagleFan said:

I don’t expect any players besides McBride to even have the option to return. 

Would you include Bedford in that? If so I’d be curious why, but know it likely isn’t public business…

9 hours ago, 2014Grad said:

Would you include Bedford in that? If so I’d be curious why, but know it likely isn’t public business…

The problems with ORU last season was not a talent issue. The feedback I got once Bedford, Smith and Amboree put their names in the portal was “ORU got much better today”. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

...and what does that mean???...lack of effort??  Attitude issues???....coaching??? let's talk about this.....😮

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, GoldenEagleFan said:

The problems with ORU last season was not a talent issue. The feedback I got once Bedford, Smith and Amboree put their names in the portal was “ORU got much better today”. 

To me, this post does not put HCRS in a good light! If our problem last season wasn't talent, it must have been coaching. If Bedford was some sort of problem, why was he starting? The only reason to start him after the point the season was essentially over was to try and get him to return, if you wanted him to leave for whatever reason or change his behavior- bench him. What's the coaching point starting a (now that he's leaving) problem player, doesn't make any sense to me. To this simple non-insider, it sounds more like CYA excuses for the number of departures. 

• Upvote 5

Bedford is a very curious case: he comes out of nowhere and puts up all star numbers.  Then as soon as the portal opens, he transfers.  I do not have any answers but the whole situation seems odd.

Do we know if Bedford has any interest or what schools he is leaning towards?  I could see him making a move up to teams in the American Conference (North Texas, Tulane, Wichita State, etc.) 

4 minutes ago, Keenan Henderson said:

Bedford is a very curious case: he comes out of nowhere and puts up all star numbers.  Then as soon as the portal opens, he transfers.  I do not have any answers but the whole situation seems odd.

Do we know if Bedford has any interest or what schools he is learning towards?  I could see him making a move up to teams in the American Conference (North Texas, Tulane, Wichita State, etc.) 

This was tweeted on March 20th. Pretty good list of schools…

IMG_0835.jpeg

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Keenan Henderson said:

Do we know if Bedford has any interest or what schools he is learning towards?  I could see him making a move up to schools in the American Conference (North Texas, Tulane, Wichita State, etc.)  

How is it "curious"? In the new age of NIL and free transfers, this seems to be the new normal. Open your recruitment every year to the highest bidder. If he goes to WSU and kills it, he'll likely look for a beter deal the next year at a Big12 or SEC team. 

• Upvote 2

Bedford is a curious case because no one really recurited him out of high school or juco.  Then when he comes to ORU and he was not even starting in the preseason games, Miller was the starter at the two guard spot.   Then he leapfrogs him and right out of the gate is scoring big numbers versus Power 5 teams.  I still wonder how he had such a big breakthrough so fast?  I was also surprised how fast he entered the portal.   

Voice you are right that is just par for the course but still hate to see him leave so fast.  It still takes time to get adjusted to how much college basketball has changed in so little time.  

1 hour ago, ORU40 said:

To me, this post does not put HCRS in a good light! If our problem last season wasn't talent, it must have been coaching. If Bedford was some sort of problem, why was he starting? The only reason to start him after the point the season was essentially over was to try and get him to return, if you wanted him to leave for whatever reason or change his behavior- bench him. What's the coaching point starting a (now that he's leaving) problem player, doesn't make any sense to me. To this simple non-insider, it sounds more like CYA excuses for the number of departures. 

I think there are a lot of pieces to the puzzle that go into having a great team. Talent is one piece. Coaching is one piece. Chemistry is one piece. I think the majority of people on this board have been a part of teams, (sports or business world) where the chemistry and connection the teammates have can absolutely overcome bad coaching or weaker talent. But the lack of chemistry and connection a team has can absolutely kill a team with superior talent or coaching. 
The world of college basketball and the transfer portal era has forced coaches to cram what once was a 8-24 month recruitment period for high school players into a 4-6 WEEK recruitment period for transfer portal players. The relationships between coaches and HS recruits was much deeper during the recruitment of a high school player. Often covering multiple seasons, visits, contacts, conversations, etc before the actual decision to commit to the school or decision to offer a recruit a scholarship takes place. Contrast that with recruiting today, the portal window officially opened 1 month ago (early March) and decisions and commitments are being made daily across the country. Much of the rosters will be finalized by the middle of May. That is essentially a 2-month window of time that coaches have to really get to know a player and what he is truly about. A lot can be missed when it comes to trying to understand a player’s buy-in, his intrinsic motivations, is he a fit, is he a winner, does he gel with teammates, how he handles adversity, is he coachable? Etc etc. A lot of those questions can be answered during an 12-month recruitment versus a 4-week recruitment. Just the reality of what college athletics has turned into. 

Wish Bedford good luck going forward. My guess is he ends up in the Mountain West which is a level up from Summit League but a level below Power 5. The kid is talented. But there are a lot of talented kids that don’t win. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

11 minutes ago, GoldenEagleFan said:

I think there are a lot of pieces to the puzzle that go into having a great team. Talent is one piece. Coaching is one piece. Chemistry is one piece. I think the majority of people on this board have been a part of teams, (sports or business world) where the chemistry and connection the teammates have can absolutely overcome bad coaching or weaker talent. But the lack of chemistry and connection a team has can absolutely kill a team with superior talent or coaching. 
The world of college basketball and the transfer portal era has forced coaches to cram what once was a 8-24 month recruitment period for high school players into a 4-6 WEEK recruitment period for transfer portal players. The relationships between coaches and HS recruits was much deeper during the recruitment of a high school player. Often covering multiple seasons, visits, contacts, conversations, etc before the actual decision to commit to the school or decision to offer a recruit a scholarship takes place. Contrast that with recruiting today, the portal window officially opened 1 month ago (early March) and decisions and commitments are being made daily across the country. Much of the rosters will be finalized by the middle of May. That is essentially a 2-month window of time that coaches have to really get to know a player and what he is truly about. 

Wish Bedford good luck going forward. My guess is he ends up in the Mountain West which is a level up from Summit League but a level below Power 5. The kid is talented. But there are a lot of talented kids that don’t win. 

What strikes me as odd; and my apologies as I'm just an old guy that is an outsider looking in, but if the reason for our poor performance last season wasn't talent or coaching but as you state chemistry, and your prior posts imply we are better without Bedford, Smith & Cam, it appears you're saying they hurt our chemistry? Why wasn't that addressed? Suspend one or all of them, bench Bedford, boot one or all of them off the team. IMHO a coach/leader has to build chemistry not just hope it develops somehow, but even more importantly has to remove any obstacles to it. A coach isn't a spectator and cannot allow a disgruntled player to ruin a season, the player(s) need to get on board or get down the road!  On the bright side, HCRS has the opportunity for a lot of improvement going into his 2nd season!

• Like 2
  • Upvote 4

1 hour ago, ORU40 said:

the player(s) need to get on board or get down the road! 

I think that goes back to my original response earlier in this thread:

”I don’t expect any players besides McBride to even have the option to return.”

•  
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, GoldenEagleFan said:

•  

Circle Turning GIF by ShibuichiWaika

3 hours ago, GoldenEagleFan said:

•  

Amen!! we agree GEF, if players don't want to get with the program, HCRS should discipline them or even part ways. The only slight disagreement remaining seems to be on timing. As you intentionally left out the important part of the sentence you referenced (you may have a career at CNN as an editor in your future)" A coach isn't a spectator and cannot allow a disgruntled player to ruin a season, the player(s) need to get on board or get down the road." 

I don't want to argue, but my point is let's address these problems before we lose 19 games and finish dead last in the conference not after the season is over!!  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

24 minutes ago, ORU40 said:

Amen!! we agree GEF, if players don't want to get with the program, HCRS should discipline them or even part ways. The only slight disagreement remaining seems to be on timing. As you intentionally left out the important part of the sentence you referenced (you may have a career at CNN as an editor in your future)" A coach isn't a spectator and cannot allow a disgruntled player to ruin a season, the player(s) need to get on board or get down the road." 

I don't want to argue, but my point is let's address these problems before we lose 19 games and finish dead last in the conference not after the season is over!!  

I think there’s a balance for a coach that feels responsibility to develop a disgruntled player and know when to cut ties. Probably part of the learning curve of a first year head coach of finding that balance of wanting to help the individual but doing what’s best for the team. Always going to be a tricky line to walk of finding and knowing the balance. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

Having watched nearly every home game in person, I never noticed sulking or bad attitudes either on the bench or on the court.  I am a little suspicious of throwing the players under the bus in the way that some of these non-specific insinuations do.

• Upvote 4

My gut tells me that this situation isn’t super complicated. Danny Hurley was interviewed after beating Purdue for the National Title and was asked how do you keep winning at such a high level. His response was simple yet profound. He said I recruit players ,some who will play in the NBA but when they come here it’s not about them. Think of all of the top tier schools that underachieved this year in spite of paying a huge NIL bill. To HCRS defense he didn’t have a full year to recruit and perhaps didn’t get what he ideally wanted. With this said he does have a full year to recruit and his talent and team  camaraderie should be on the rise. If 1 year from now we are in the same boat our conversation will be different. Many coaches will buy good and great players but the intangible aspect of working together and being selfless is something that can’t be bought.

• Upvote 4