ORU vs. Oregon

Old Titan

9 hours ago, MrsSmith said:

We will try to do some sightseeing in Oregon during the day so any tips are appreciated.  We won't have much time though so only the highlights.  🙂

Stay away from Portland……😂😂😂

12 hours ago, MrsSmith said:

We will try to do some sightseeing in Oregon during the day so any tips are appreciated.  We won't have much time though so only the highlights.  🙂

Since Oregon is my home state I may be biased (😉) but I believe it is the most beautiful state in the country. You have the breathtaking coast, two mountain ranges (Coast and Cascade) with a striking agricultural valley (the Willamette) in between. East of the Cascades is desert, part of the Great Basin that has the Great Salt Lake at its center. No matter where you go it's beautiful. 

I might suggest you try one (or more) of three easy trips from Eugene: one, you can take Highway 126 west from Eugene across the Coast Range to Florence, then travel north or south along the coast. The Oregon coast, I believe, is the most beautiful of anywhere in the U.S.

Two, go east from Eugene and take the McKensie Pass over the Cascade Mountains. Out of Eugene you will follow he McKensie River, which is beautiful, then turn and follow a historic pass across the mountains, with a number of interesting stops along the way (if you're interested). It passes through lava fields on the east side of the pass, and eventually ends up in Sisters, OR, a fun, touristy place (and by coincidence, my own sister lives there!). You could also go a few miles further east to check out Bend, if you were so inclined. (Unfortunately, this route across the mountains is closed from November to June,  and when I just checked I found it is closed for two more weekends, so is not available at this point - unless you want to bike it!)

Three, go north from Eugene to Junction City and take 99W through some of the beautiful Oregon farmland. Settlers started farming the Willamette Valley in the 1840s, and much of that original farmland is still in production today. The Willamette Valley of Oregon is the world's largest grass seed producer. The annual rye you put on your lawn to keep it green  during the winter is almost guaranteed to be from Oregon's Willamette Valley. 

So there's a start. If none of those are of interest I could probably provide other options!!

• Like 6

10 hours ago, MrsSmith said:

I'm not from Oregon but have been up there several times and @tmh8286 is correct in it is a beautiful state. Being from Oregon he obviously has great insight and knows the lay of the land much better than I do.

But if you are flying into Portland and renting a car one short trip worth making is stopping by the Timberline Lodge on Mt. Hood. It's about an hour from the Portland airport and about halfway up the mountain, it's a beautiful old ski lodge and a great place for lunch or dinner. The view and scenery are absolutely amazing. It really is gorgeous and worth the trip if you have the time.

I'm sure wherever you and Bogus go in Oregon you'll enjoy yourselves, it's a spectacular place.

Enjoy your trip and Go Eagles!!

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

From duckswire.usatoday

How good is Oral Roberts?

They’re good. Full stop.

While we made note of Oregon’s impressive 9-game winning streak they are currently enjoying, Oral Roberts comes into the Super Regional boasting a 21-game winning streak, having not lost since April 22.

While they do play in the Summit League, which features far lesser competition than the Pac-12 or another Power 5 conference, the Golden Eagles played — and beat — schools like Memphis, Oklahoma State, and Washington this year. Like Oregon, they also went 3-0 in their regional this past weekend.

While a casual fan may look at the name Oral Roberts and think that the Ducks are smooth sailing into the College World Series, think again. This is going to be a very competitive series.

22 minutes ago, TrueBlue82 said:

From duckswire.usatoday

How good is Oral Roberts?

They’re good. Full stop.

While we made note of Oregon’s impressive 9-game winning streak they are currently enjoying, Oral Roberts comes into the Super Regional boasting a 21-game winning streak, having not lost since April 22.

While they do play in the Summit League, which features far lesser competition than the Pac-12 or another Power 5 conference, the Golden Eagles played — and beat — schools like Memphis, Oklahoma State, and Washington this year. Like Oregon, they also went 3-0 in their regional this past weekend.

While a casual fan may look at the name Oral Roberts and think that the Ducks are smooth sailing into the College World Series, think again. This is going to be a very competitive series.

Ok, who opened their big mouth?

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Texasgrip said:

Ok, who opened their big mouth?

It was inevitable. I feel like every game I watched on Monday there was a discussion of ORU sweeping the Stillwater regional, the winning streak, the hitting streak, the closer…

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Otis 83 said:

It was inevitable. I feel like every game I watched on Monday there was a discussion of ORU sweeping the Stillwater regional, the winning streak, the hitting streak, the closer…

I was being facetious - the word is definitely out!

But baseball feels different in this regard. It's not like Oregon can muster up some confidence and decide to play better. It's too late for them...💪🏻

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Old Titan said:

So.

Much.

Green...

While I love to see all the green, we all know that it is dangerous to compare stats, especially when you consider the difference in the overall level of competition.

But, there are a couple of key points from the charts which could significantly impact this weekend's series.

1. Even the Duck media would admit that their pitching staff has been average, at best.  And, what the numbers don't mention is that their Friday night starting pitcher (Jace Stoffal, with an impressive ERA of 2.83) has been injured for the past few weeks, did not pitch in Nashville, and is not expected to return.  Take him out of the equation, and the Oregon overall staff ERA increases to 5.40.

2. The Oregon offense doesn't walk a lot, strikes out at a fairly high rate, and their pitching staff issues way too many free passes compared to the strikeouts that they earn. Comparing the two teams (each have played 60 games):

Oregon offense - 480K to 214BB - 2.24 K/BB

Oregon pitching - 478/299 - 1.60 K/BB

ORU offense - 443/294 - 1.51 K/BB

ORU pitching - 563/201 - 2.80 K/BB 

Oregon is the ONLY team in the Super Regionals that has a higher offensive K/BB ratio than their defensive K/BB ratio, and it's not even close (2.24 to 1.60).

If the strike zone remains as tight as the umps in Stillwater were calling it and the Golden Eagle hitters continue their season-long approach of "assertive patience" at the plate, ORU should have a significant advantage in the number of baserunners over the course of the weekend. 

• Upvote 5

37 minutes ago, Bogus Smith said:

Professor Bogus with some good intel.

3 minutes ago, Elis Flight Crew said:

Professor Bogus with some good intel.

It's one pundit's opinion.  Glad that we have some positive vibes coming our way, but we need to turn that hope into action by executing on the field and bringing home a Super Regional trophy (if they provide one of those this time).

• Upvote 1

Associated Press wire story being picked up and retweeted by media outlets all over the country:

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, Old Titan said:

Associated Press wire story being picked up and retweeted by media outlets all over the country:

Nice!

24 minutes ago, Old Titan said:

At least SOMEBODY is paying attention to us - can't get the Tulsa World to give us any love at all. Pretty sad coverage they've given to a significant achievement from a local school. 

1 minute ago, EagleManiac said:

At least SOMEBODY is paying attention to us - can't get the Tulsa World to give us any love at all. Pretty sad coverage they've given to a significant achievement from a local school. 

The trade out dollars must be all used up.  The Tulsa World is not a news outlet....they are an opinion paper telling us what they want us to think and using wire articles to fill in all the advertisements that no one sees.  They can't even give their paper away.