Welcome Head Coach Russell Springmann!

ORob2

2 hours ago, TrueBlue82 said:

ORU is a wonderful place, but it’s a small school in a big pond, which is why it qualifies as a low-major.  Unless a group of donors are willing to step up with some big $$$ to subsidize compensation and to fund an upgrade in our conference affiliation, the best we can hope for is to enjoy the run of a successful Coach, and then wish them well as they seek out “greener” pastures.   

This has been bugging the heck out of me lately. Not that ORU is a small school in a big pond, not even our conference affiliation with the Summit, but that fact that we lack the resources to keep the coaches and draw the players that could make us into a power (ie Gonzaga). Mark Few didn't stay at Gonzaga on goodwill alone. From what I hear from some of you, donors stepped up to give him the resources that he would have gotten at a North Carolina or Kansas. This isn't a knock on ORU or our fans. Just some fuel to my fire to be apart of a group that changes this narrative for our beloved alma mater. Can't wait!

• Upvote 2

11 minutes ago, Old Titan said:

Ever served on a project committee that meets for several months, discussing multiple options at length before hammering out a course of action, only to have a bunch of new people start showing up near project completion date, questioning your decisions and wanting to rehash all the options you've already covered?

Asking for a friend...lol 😘

I thought that was the job description for upper management.

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, titansforever said:

And you saw Kevin Obanor's comment!

I noticed that…

3 hours ago, TrueBlue82 said:

Let’s be realistic here.  I am very excited about the promotion of Springmann, and the opportunity for ORU to continue its run of recent success with minimal upheaval.  But, I don’t think it’s fair to vilify Mills and glorify Springmann on their decisions to stay/go.  If Coach Springmann was in Mills’ position, it is HIGHLY likely that he would’ve made exactly the same decision - and after a couple of successful seasons, he may have that same opportunity.  

ORU is a wonderful place, but it’s a small school in a big pond, which is why it qualifies as a low-major.  Unless a group of donors are willing to step up with some big $$$ to subsidize compensation and to fund an upgrade in our conference affiliation, the best we can hope for is to enjoy the run of a successful Coach, and then wish them well as they seek out “greener” pastures.   

Let's hope that in 3-5 years we are in this same position with Russell Springmann.  At that time, we will see what has happened to Paul Mills and, if there is a bad experience at WSU, we may find that Coach Springmann is willing to hang in there with us a little longer.

But let's be realistic, the chances of us getting 30 wins next season are slim (but still possible) and after making it to two NCAA tournaments in three years, this was the stepping off point in Coach Mills' career if he were to make the jump.  I just hope that we win our share of recruiting battles with the facilities that we have in place.  Unfortunately, we are not going to be successful unless we beef up our NIL arrangements to help out the process.

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Bogus Smith said:

...Unfortunately, we are not going to be successful unless we beef up our NIL arrangements to help out the process.

!!!!!

6 minutes ago, Bogus Smith said:

....Unfortunately, we are not going to be successful unless we beef up our NIL arrangements to help out the process.

2 minutes ago, EagleManiac said:

!!!!!

Truth hurts....but we will get little if we have little.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, EagleManiac said:

!!!!!

Not a huge fan of NIL but it is here now so everyone has to adjust. Never know what drives a kid to a certain school. 

I bet Obanor got a decent amount to stay at Tech for another year. 

Someone brought up Gonzaga earlier and Timme is estimated at somewhere around $400 to $500 K for this season. 

It is not a fun part of the process but is part of it. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, darrenj said:

Not a huge fan of NIL but it is here now so everyone has to adjust. Never know what drives a kid to a certain school. 

I bet Obanor got a decent amount to stay at Tech for another year. 

Someone brought up Gonzaga earlier and Timme is estimated at somewhere around $400 to $500 K for this season. 

Stay tuned. Information on this is forthcoming.

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, darrenj said:

image.png.3993040732720e52cf0e86bc33725fc3.png

It would be interesting to know who was in that room when Coach Springmann was introduced.  It looked like Kareem was the only senior that I saw and the others are: McBride, Patrick, Sir Isaac, Williams, and Nate Clover.  Did anyone catch a glimpse of the other seniors?  We mentioned it in another thread but I think Kareem has the best chance of the seniors in coming back.  It just seems like Connor and Max can go pro and Carlos and DJ have been here 5 years already.  

It is great to hear Coach has such a heart for the guys and for his faith.  Just as Coach Mills did.  In the end, those are the things that really matter.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Keenan Henderson said:

It would be interesting to know who was in that room when Coach Springmann was introduced.  It looked like Kareem was the only senior that I saw and the others are: McBride, Patrick, Sir Isaac, Williams, and Nate Clover.  Did anyone catch a glimpse of the other seniors?  We mentioned it in another thread but I think Kareem has the best chance of the seniors in coming back.  It just seems like Connor and Max can go pro and Carlos and DJ have been here 5 years already.  

It is great to hear Coach has such a heart for the guys and for his faith.  Just as Coach Mills did.  In the end, those are the things that really matter.

How many times do I have to say this? 

• Connor is NOT coming back (to college). 
  • Max is 99% NOT coming back (to ORU).

I mean, you guys realize these guys have lives to live, right??

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Old Titan said:

How many times do I have to say this? 

• Connor is NOT coming back (to college). 
  • Max is 99% NOT coming back (to ORU).

I mean, you guys realize these guys have lives to live, right??

Right. They can just join the message board!

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Texasgrip said:

Right. They can just join the message board!

Plenty of room here in mom's basement!

• Haha 3

On 3/22/2023 at 5:29 PM, OKC Eagle said:

Coach only has 90 Twitter followers.  Let's get that number up!

He's up to 532 - a 591% increase!! 😃