Welcome Head Coach Russell Springmann!

ORob2

Congratulations to Coach Springmann!!!

It will be interesting to see who he hires to fill out the coaching staff.

• Patterson was the European recruiter so ORU loses the ties that landed players like Lacis and Jurgens.
  • It seems Strength and Conditioning coach Ashtin Meerpohl may be moving on with Mills. *IF* this is the case then this is a top priority replacement. The Golden Eagles have been one of the better conditioned teams in the Summit.
  • Upvote 1

LOL - "Much of our recent success"??

That's not a casual comment - that's a jab from (in Mills' words) "the president".

You're gonna have a hard time convincing me there wasn't/isn't at least a mild rift between Paul Mills and Billy Wilson, either before this week or just in the last couple of days...

• Upvote 3

27 minutes ago, Dr. Cornelius said:

It seems Strength and Conditioning coach Ashtin Meerpohl may be moving on with Mills. *IF* this is the case then this is a top priority replacement. The Golden Eagles have been one of the better conditioned teams in the Summit.

With the new strength & conditioning center opening up next month, filling that position is not going to be hard.

20 minutes ago, Old Titan said:

LOL - "Much of our recent success"??

But is it incorrect??? 

We've said for years that Mills' best attribute was in recruiting quality players - and if Springmann was the main recruiter, then he would deserve the "much of our recent success" label.  You may well be right - that a rift between the ORU President and the ORU Head Basketball Coach existed - and it certainly wouldn't be the first time for that to happen.  It could also be nothing more than the President doing everything he can to show his support and smooth the entrance of the new heir apparent. 

• Upvote 2

16 minutes ago, TrueBlue82 said:

But is it incorrect??? 

We really don't know if it's incorrect or not; I just think we're seeing a preview of something Winston Churchill famously said:  "History is written by the victors."

Or, in this case, your ex-boss. 😉

I don’t think there had been any rift between Coach Mills and President Wilson leading up to the game vs Duke. Probably quite the opposite since coach Mills was a preacher.  Coach Mills has preached an entire chapel service before at ORU, perhaps multiple times.  I would guess that President Wilson drank the same kool-aid as the rest of us thinking that Coach Mills would be at ORU for many years to come because he seemed like such a good fit here, was outspoken about his Christian beliefs, and was an ambassador for ORU.

With about 2 minutes left in the game vs Duke, when Coach Mills subbed in the backups and the starters were leaving the floor, President Wilson was the first to stand up and give an ovation to the starters and the rest of the ORU fans stood up as well to follow his lead and acknowledge the great season that the team had had even though the Duke game was lost.  So up to that point I do not think any rift existed.

I see that comment as being supportive of Coach Springman because Paul Mills is now out of the picture. There may have been a discussion between President Wilson and Coach Mills once the cat was out of the bag, and he may have tried to persuade Coach Mills to stay. When that doesn’t go well, it is basically like a break up with your girlfriend after you thought she was the one. Normally a rift will exist at that point.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 5

It will be interesting as we enter this new era with Coach Springman what style will he implement and what changes will he make? I anticipate the changes may be positive 

• Upvote 1

Hopefully the size of our MBB budget will increase and Coach will be able to assemble a staff he likes.  Also, I agree with everyone else on the scheduling, add two P-5 or upper Mid Major teams to the schedule and get rid of 2 of the NAIA/D-II opponents.

55 minutes ago, ORUJason said:

I don’t think there had been any rift between Coach Mills and President Wilson leading up to the game vs Duke. Probably quite the opposite since coach Mills was a preacher.  Coach Mills has preached an entire chapel service before at ORU, perhaps multiple times.  I would guess that President Wilson drank the same kool-aid as the rest of us thinking that Coach Mills would be at ORU for many years to come because he seemed like such a good fit here, was outspoken about his Christian beliefs, and was an ambassador for ORU.

With about 2 minutes left in the game vs Duke, when Coach Mills subbed in the backups and the starters were leaving the floor, President Wilson was the first to stand up and give an ovation to the starters and the rest of the ORU fans stood up as well to follow his lead and acknowledge the great season that the team had had even though the Duke game was lost.  So up to that point I do not think any rift existed.

I see that comment as being supportive of Coach Springman because Paul Mills is now out of the picture. There may have been a discussion between President Wilson and Coach Mills once the cat was out of the bag, and he may have tried to persuade Coach Mills to stay. When that doesn’t go well, it is basically like a break up with your girlfriend after you thought she was the one. Normally a rift will exist at that point.

💯

This is precisely what President Wilson told me Tuesday night at the baseball game. By then it was done - he voiced his disappointment but resolve at the same time. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

-- glad to hear Coach Patterson will be back....a bit surprised Mills did not take him to WSU since they have been together so long

-- now we wait to see who enters the portal or which seniors decide to comeback for a covid year

-- love the hire and the speed in which ORU moved 

-- excited for the future of ORUMBB

• Upvote 2