Welcome Head Coach Russell Springmann!

ORob2

I was able to find the time to watch the introduction event on the ORU Sports Network last night.  I was really impressed with Coach Springmann.  It was touching to see him get emotional, especially when talking about his family.  You can see why he's successful on the recruiting trail.  He seems to be a man who genuinely cares and the players can see that.  Pretty cool that Rick Barnes sent that video.

I think we are in good hands ORU fans.

• Like 2

Very positive interview with Coach Springmann.

Looking forward to what transpires in the future with ORU basketball and the Mike Carter Center. 

• Like 1

With ORU losing quite a bit of talent from last year's run to the tournament, it will be interesting to see how Coach Springmann builds the team.  Does he go for the quick hitters in the transfer portal or build long term with some under the radar freshmen? 

Coach Mills first class was huge and he basically built his program around them: K.O., DJ Weaver, Carlos, and Francis.  Then Max came in the second class to complete the foundation.  I think it is best to build with freshmen and add a few transfers as the youngsters grow up but each coach is different.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Keenan Henderson said:

With ORU losing quite a bit of talent from last year's run to the tournament, it will be interesting to see how Coach Springmann builds the team.  Does he go for the quick hitters in the transfer portal or build long term with some under the radar freshmen? 

Coach Mills first class was huge and he basically built his program around them: K.O., DJ Weaver, Carlos, and Francis.  Then Max came in the second class to complete the foundation.  I think it is best to build with freshmen and add a few transfers as the youngsters grow up but each coach is different.

Coach RS & ORUMBB will be fine! Coach Russ has experience with transitions like this from his Asst days at Texas. At the end of the day ORU has to suit up a team to play this November and Coach will work hard to put them in a spot to compete.

Year one is a rebuild and with our conference one never knows.

Mills of course changed and brought a different approach to basketball after 2 years of working through Suttons roster. Mills approach and size helped to justify lots of 3s and faster pace. Springmann will be the coach to bring back the Sutton era big man approach and mix Mills focus on 3s approach.

Future is bright at ORUMBB!

Edited by ORUFanbase
  • Upvote 2

Since we'll pretty much be in a rebuilding situation, maybe that'll make it easier to convince high-level D1 schools to schedule us. Possible?

• Upvote 1

Just now, titansforever said:

Since we'll pretty much be in a rebuilding situation, maybe that'll make it easier to convince high-level D1 schools to schedule us. Possible?

I agree and have had that thought since the changes at the HC position. Losses but financial gain for the future looks strong.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Glad to see them make Coach Bostic's appointment official.  It's my understanding that the final assistant coach spot has also been filled and the announcement is forthcoming.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Old Titan said:

Wasn't there a time back when we grew up where checkered and plaids didn't coordinate well and we tried to stay away from that combination?  Boys are boys, girls are girls, and checks are not plaids!

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Bogus Smith said:

Wasn't there a time back when we grew up where checkered and plaids didn't coordinate?

They still don't; the only difference now is that they're worn together anyway. 🤔

• Haha 4

Sounds like we are getting good help with coaching from the past few posts. 

20 hours ago, Bogus Smith said:

Wasn't there a time back when we grew up where checkered and plaids didn't coordinate well and we tried to stay away from that combination?  Boys are boys, girls are girls, and checks are not plaids!

20 hours ago, Old Titan said:

They still don't; the only difference now is that they're worn together anyway. 🤔

If either of you ever wore a leisure suit you have no business taking a shot at this emerging fashion trend.  I used to hold to that axiom myself but I've come to see how subtle checks and subtle plaids can indeed work together.  Now I'm not convinced that Coach Nedbalek found that balance but I like to think I have 

• Haha 2