ORU Bracketology and rankings for 2023

eagle88

They need to make the play in games P5 vs Mid Major. Have 9 games (18 teams have to win to be admitted, 55 are automatic qualifiers, at large bids, new total of 73 teams). 

• Upvote 3

Good example of where ORU ranks in many eyes; listed twice in this bracket:

• A 12-Seed as an automatic qualifier,
  • Outside-looking-in as an at-large candidate (with MWC victors Utah State and New Mexico contributing to edge ORU off the bubble)

This just shows how hard it's going to be to get an at-large bid. Currently in the "next 4 out" and you know that will drop a ton with any loss in the tournament. And nothing they can do to significantly improve that position, even with blowout wins in the other (up to 4) remaining games. With one win in any of the 4 losses it would be a different story, but I think we still need 3 wins in Sioux Falls.

• Like 2

In the event of a loss in Sioux Falls, I'm already intrigued by who ORU's first-round opponent in the NIT might be, presumably in the Mabee Center.  

I wonder if the committee could convince a P5 school to play on the road at a mid-major in the first round?

How about Texas Tech with Kevin Obanor?

Or some big name like Michigan or Wisconsin?

Or maybe....OKLAHOMA!!

(I know, I know - concentrate on a Sioux Falls sweep and a 30-4 record, but I'm just saying:  the alternative does have its virtues...)

ORU vs. OU just might fill the house........:circle-logoi:

15 minutes into the first half of UNC at Notre Dame and the score is 15-16 🤮

If UNC gets a bid it will be a crime. 

• Upvote 2

...and Houston up 24 at home in the 2nd half vs. Tulane, the No. 2 team in the AAC and supposed bubble team along with 3rd place Memphis.  #OneBidLeague

7 hours ago, Otis 83 said:

15 minutes into the first half of UNC at Notre Dame and the score is 15-16 🤮

If UNC gets a bid it will be a crime. 

I watched just a little bit of that game. Horrible basketball game during the portion I was tuned in. Dribble twelve times and shoot a 3. Pass the ball back and forth and shoot a 3. Lob it crosscourt and have it stolen. Get past your man on the dribble drive at the foul line and there is no defensive help. So weird to see supposedly "elite" program teams playing at such a low level.

3 hours ago, dave said:

I watched just a little bit of that game. Horrible basketball game during the portion I was tuned in. Dribble twelve times and shoot a 3. Pass the ball back and forth and shoot a 3. Lob it crosscourt and have it stolen. Get past your man on the dribble drive at the foul line and there is no defensive help. So weird to see supposedly "elite" program teams playing at such a low level.

Besides winning ORU plays a really fun style. I doubt too many players want to play in a program where scoring isn't a major emphasis.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, dave said:

North Carolina had zero assists in the first half.  I moved on to Fixer to Fabulous.

• Like 1

A snip of Joe Lunardi's latest bracket.  Would love to see a ORU v E. Washington 2nd round game!  I also don't think  we'd have many Columbus natives pulling for us.🙂

image.png.a475bfc8dd36609f71b3cbf0ddc2119f.png

1 hour ago, Otis 83 said:

A snip of Joe Lunardi's latest bracket.  Would love to see a ORU v E. Washington 2nd round game!  I also don't think  we'd have many Columbus natives pulling for us.🙂

I have a son in law who graduated from Iowa State who lives 10 miles from my house in south central Pennsylvania. We enjoy rooting for each other's team. It would be a great family friendly feud if the Eagles and the Cyclones went at it in Columbus. I don't know, that might just sound like a road trip to see that one together. Father and Son-in-law bonding moment.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Otis 83 said:

That would be awesome 😎