ORU Bracketology and rankings for 2023

eagle88

I was way off on the prediction thread....I predicted 7 league losses.....

Missed it by a bit

I was so despondent after St Mary's and the trip to Houston.  I'm such a sports idiot.  The only reason that I'm not in that season prediction montage in the OT/TrueBlue82 section is that I got busy.

2 hours ago, titansforever said:

I thought it would be interesting to revisit what some posters predicted back in October in Expectations for upcoming season:

ORUalum: conference championship and return trip to the dance

TheEagleman will be disappointed if ORU doesn't win 25 and take the Summit League title in Sioux Falls.... end of story....

eagle88: I am in the camp that believes ORU will win their Conference and make some noise in the Big Dance.

Mr_TwoFive: Gotta win all home games. Sweep the ones you’re supposed to sweep. Split the Dakotas. It’s hard to win @ Frost. Can’t afford a bad loss. 

ORUFan2009: I'm all for looking at things from an impartial perspective but 3rd in conference play? Really? That kind of prediction says we're closer to winning a bid to the CBI than NCAA.  

Anything less than 15-3 would be disappointing. However, this squad could very well run the table in conference play. My prediction is 16-2

Old Titan: Since rejoining the Summit League for the 2014-15 season, here is ORU's W-L record against perennial "top half" dwellers SDSU, NDSU, and USD:

• SDSU:  3-15 (0-7 away, 2-7 home, 1-1 neutral)
  • NDSU:  6-15 (1-8 away, 4-3 home, 1-4 neutral)
  • USD:  6-9 (3-5 away, 3-4 home, 0-0 neutral)

All three of those teams are predicted to finish in the top four of the league again this year.

You're saying ORU will have only two losses for the entire regular season, including 6 home-and-away games vs. that trio? Sorry, not seeing it:  I think ORU will lose all the road games vs. those three, and probably one of the return games in Tulsa. That's four losses right there, plus in my mind two more road losses:  Denver, and either Western or UMKC. That spells 12-6, and a third place finish again. But, as always, I would be thrilled to be proven wrong!

TrueBlue82: For post-season, ORU wins two to reach the tournament title game, but falls in the championship game against one of the Dakota schools with a huge "neutral court" advantage.  By virtue of winning the regular season, ORU advances to the NIT with a 23-10 record.

ORob2: ESPN just released their preseason “Matchup Predictor” for the upcoming season’s games.  They currently are only predicting 6(!) ORU losses this season: Saint Mary’s, Houston, Utah State, Tulsa, @SDSU, and @SD, ending the season 24-6!

Look at where we are now!

As stated back in October, I am "thrilled to be proven wrong".

And in self-defense:  how was I supposed to know they would suddenly start doubling the post?? #DefenseWinsChampionships

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, theeagleman5 said:

TheEagleman knows that Old Titan and True Blue are not idiots...but they sure sound like ones in the pre-season comments above...LOL.....and weren't they together as ORU Stat guys back in the 80s?....geez....what a combo........was able to search the archives and came up with this old photo of our two board heroes......Image result for Dumb and Dumber

Jeff Daniels is wearing the exact same tux & shirt I wore to my 9th Grade Prom. #nojoke

• Haha 1

I was trying to remember how much national attention SDState got last year when they went 18-0 in the conference. Were there more than 2 or 3 other teams that were undefeated in their conferences? (Either I have a faulty memory--very possible--or there wasn't as much hype as we're seeing now.)

3 hours ago, ORUalum said:

shooting.thumb.jpg.0eee5cf614a44ea6cc6fa423f03cebc7.jpg

This chart confirms that Coach does not like the mid-range jumper.  But the get it in under the basket or shoot from deep strategy is working very well so far.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, titansforever said:

I was trying to remember how much national attention SDState got last year when they went 18-0 in the conference. Were there more than 2 or 3 other teams that were undefeated in their conferences? (Either I have a faulty memory--very possible--or there wasn't as much hype as we're seeing now.)

They stubbed their toe a little bit in the non-conference portion of the schedule, and it cost them in the metrics, and the eyes of the basketball world.

They only dropped 5 non-conference games, but they included losses to a KenPom No. 324 Idaho and No. 110 Washington on a neutral floor, with their best non-con win coming against No. 44 Washington State by 3 on a neutral floor. 

Their final KenPom rating before Selection Sunday was a pedestrian No. 69.

7 minutes ago, Old Titan said:

They stubbed their toe a little bit in the non-conference portion of the schedule, and it cost them in the metrics, and the eyes of the basketball world.

They only dropped 5 non-conference games, but they included losses to a KenPom No. 324 Idaho and No. 110 Washington on a neutral floor, with their best non-con win coming against No. 44 Washington State by 3 on a neutral floor. 

Their final KenPom rating before Selection Sunday was a pedestrian No. 69.

Thanks, OT! I was pretty sure they didn't stir up as much interest as we are generating this year. 

1 hour ago, titansforever said:

I've wondered the same. If Florida Gulf Coast, or St. Peter's was destroying their conference foes, and had a record like ours, I think the past success goes a very long way. I also think everybody wants to be an expert, and prove they know something, so why not pick a team outside the power5, that has proven they've done it before, and is proving they may be even better. It's exciting to see all the favorable press!

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, TrueBlue82 said:

This is a great recap of pre-season expectations, titansforever...  There's no doubt that this team has totally exceeded everyone's expectations (except maybe the team members themselves).

To add context to my preseason post above, I also found my post from November 23, right after the Utah State loss, when the team was 3-3 and the message board was in meltdown mode (seriously, it's a pretty interesting read): 

I originally (pre-season) predicted a 21-9 regular season and a loss in the conference tourney title game.  Now, after six games, I will take the OVER on 21 wins, and will also predict ORU to WIN the tourney in Sioux Falls, after two impressive performances (albeit losses) on the road against top 50 teams.  We will see...

It just took me a few weeks to warm up to this team's potential! 🤩

I can attest, Blue, that after you attended the Utah State game and saw the team in person, in personal communications you expressed excitement about what you saw, in spite of the loss. It seems to be proving out that your it was well earned!!

On 2/14/2023 at 11:10 AM, ORUalum said:

shooting.thumb.jpg.0eee5cf614a44ea6cc6fa423f03cebc7.jpg

I'd like to know where this site got shot chart data used to make these graphs. 

Interesting to note when compared with other top shooting teams ORU is deep red in nearly all shooting zones, indicating that we are at or near 10% above national average in that zone. We scored at or below national average in only two zones -and have more deep red zones than any of the other top shooting teams.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, TrueBlue82 said:

Alabama goes down at Tennessee.  Give ORU the EAST!

THE NIGHT THEY DROVE OLD DIXIE DOWN!!

• Like 4

We need a good ol Bracketbuster match up between ORU and E. Washington...bring it on!! 😎