21-22 Schedule

Keenan Henderson

Richard is long gone and let's keep him that way....but TheEagleman might be able to help with the Kathy Lee thing....sat next to her in a couple Comm. Arts classes back in the early 70s.....she was nice but for some reason I don't think she cared much for TheEagleman.....could never figure out why......😎🍺😎

• Haha 1

was hoping that the Sweet Sixteen run might provide an opportunity for ORU to play in one of the higher-profile early-season neutral-court exempt events.  I'm not talking about an "event" where mid-majors have an assignment of three road games against powerhouses - and then the powerhouses all travel to some exotic locale for a 2-3 day tournament while the mid-majors stay home and cash their check (most of the Summit schools have already signed up for one of these "fundraisers").  I was more interested in seeing ORU in an eight-team tournament with power fives and solid mid-majors, where ORU could bolster their RPI with an upset win or two over big-name schools.  But, it appears that most of these events have already filled out their dance cards - and ORU isn't listed among the participants.  What are the pros and cons of these early-season tourneys - and would others like to see ORU play in one of these? 

You beat me to it. I have been thinking/hoping about the same thing. Sorry to hear that we have apparently not been tapped for one of these events. Besides the media exposure and RPI help these tournaments provide, it would be a nice benefit for our players & coaches. Maybe the P5 schools don’t want to face us and possibly suffer a ‘bad’ loss. Surprised the tournament directors don’t see the benefit of having ‘Midcourt Max’ in their event. 

Most of these events already had their fields set, prior to mid-March of this year.

Prior to that, there was no reason to call ORU. 

3 hours ago, theeagleman5 said:

Richard is long gone and let's keep him that way....but TheEagleman might be able to help with the Kathy Lee thing....sat next to her in a couple Comm. Arts classes back in the early 70s.....she was nice but for some reason I don't think she cared much for TheEagleman.....could never figure out why......😎🍺😎

Her loss Eagleman….her loss

TheEagleman chuckles every time I see her on TV and so does my wife.....she was a year ahead of me as I recall and did not graduate....she left to go into the music business and got married.....but as i said, she was always nice and was a prominent member of the World Action Singers during her stay at ORU....never would have given TheEagleman a 2nd look....lol....as for the pre-season tournaments....yeah, it's a shame ORU can't get into one of those....maybe someone will drop out at the last minute....then again ORU will already have it's schedule locked in....guessing we should have the OOC within the next 30 days or so.....:circle-logoi:

• Like 1

After further review, while most of the neutral court non-exempt events are full, there are still a few spots still available (although none in the high profile category) as listed below.  Since summer is the official "schedule speculation season", which of these options would you find to be most interesting, or none?

Jersey Mike’s Classic - St. Petersburg, FL

Thurs.–Sun., Nov. 1821

• Ball State (MAC)
  • Green Bay (Horizon)
  • Weber State (Big Sky)
  • 1–5 TBA

Islands of the Bahamas Showcase - Nassau, Bahamas

Fri.–Sun., Nov. 19–21

• Charlotte (C-USA)
  • Drexel (CAA)
  • Toledo (MAC)
  • Valparaiso (MVC)
  • 4 TBA

Battle in the Blue Ridge - Asheville, NC

Fri.–Sun., Nov. 12–14

• Minnesota (Big Ten)
  • South Carolina (SEC)
  • Western Kentucky (C-USA)
  • 1 TBA

Naples Invitational - Naples, FL (Date TBA)

• ETSU (SoCon)
  • George Washington (A 10)
  • Kent State (MAC)
  • Long Beach State (BW)
  • Missouri State (MVC)
  • Wright State (Horizon)
  • 2 TBA

I would prefer Battle in the Blue Ridge because I live in Pennsylvania and I just might make a weekend of it and drive down and watch me some Golden Eagle basketball. Plus the competition is the kind we want and need. Besides, Ashville is a beautiful place.

For some reason, OU did not choose to play us this coming year (fear?), but they're going to play Arkansas here in Tulsa (in case someone we know is on that team). 🙂 

https://tulsaworld.com/sports/college/ou/oklahomas-nonconference-schedule-includes-dec-11-game-against-arkansas-in-bok-center/article_6d1dcc54-e590-11eb-94a3-07f78f3349bc.html 

Both OU and UA have zero stones....they want no parts of ORU.....and hopefully the Good Guys will be included in one of those early season tournaments above....seems like ORU would be an attractive addition to any of the four.....:tb-white:

On 7/12/2021 at 2:19 PM, ORUTerry said:

Are we still scheduled to have TX-Arlington at home this year? I seem to remember that they postponed the game last year. Was that scheduled for the Mabee Center - or do we play there first?

• Like 1

UTA is a nice home game vs. a decent mid major.....and yeah...ORU and Grand Canyon should definitely get a series going.....:circle-logoi:

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, theeagleman5 said:

UTA is a nice home game vs. a decent mid major.....and yeah...ORU and Grand Canyon should definitely get a series going.....:circle-logoi:

I bet Coach Mills and Bryce Drew know each other pretty well.

It’s a series that SHOULD happen but it may be a case of coaches not wanting to hand their friend a loss.

• Upvote 1

On 6/22/2021 at 10:13 PM, vcboy2000 said:

I've got an office right on Berry St. down the road from the TCU campus. I usually stay at the TCU Hyatt Place when I'm in town visiting. Would love to make this a weekend/business trip and have some fun with you, Otis!

I'm 90 minutes up the road in Gunter and will definitely be making that 3 hour round trip.

• Upvote 2

Since the UTA game is now officially scheduled for December 16th, and the TCU game is in Fort Worth on Dec. 2nd, it's down to Tulsa or Oklahoma State as the only currently-known schools on the schedule that might make for an elite drawing card for ORU's season opener at home.

There are a LOT of things to celebrate that night:

• Refurbished Mabee Center, inside & out
  • Unveiling of the Summit League championship banner
  • Unveiling of the Sweet Sixteen banner
  • Appreciation of Max Abmas for returning to school
  • Appreciation of Paul Mills for signing new contract
  • Appreciation of returning lettermen who contributed to last year's postseason success

If not OSU or TU, sure hoping it's a premier opponent; or at least a local rival:  Wichita State, Missouri State, etc.

Here's a look at Wichita State's schedule so far.  The Shockers are reportedly still looking to add a couple of non-conference road games; opening day for this coming NCAA basketball season is Tuesday, November 9th:

• Friday, Nov. 19 — vs. Arizona (at T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas)
  • Sunday, Nov. 21 — vs. Michigan or UNLV (at T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas)
  • Friday, Nov. 26 — at Missouri
  • Wednesday, Dec. 1 — at Oklahoma State
  • Sunday, Dec. 5 — vs. Kansas State (at Intrust Bank Arena)
  • Saturday, Dec. 11 — vs. Norfolk State
  • Tuesday, Dec. 14 — vs. Alcorn State
  • Saturday, Dec. 18 — vs. North Texas
  • Wednesday, Dec. 22 — vs. Prairie View A&M

3 minutes ago, Old Titan said:

Unveiling of the Sweet Sixteen banner

wayward pines GIF

• Upvote 1

Wichita State would be a very attractive opponent for the Home Opener....Bring on the Shockers!!!....:circle-logoi: