21-22 Schedule

Keenan Henderson

Since TCU is already booked, might as well sign up to play SMU.  Back to back Dallas games.  Houston would be another solid pick, since they are a top 25 team coming off of a Final Four appearance.  In fact, ORU has never played Houston.  It would be good to find some new teams to schedule in the state of Texas.

Are we still scheduled to have TX-Arlington at home this year? I seem to remember that they postponed the game last year. Was that scheduled for the Mabee Center - or do we play there first?

OSU and TU are scheduled to visit the Mabee Center this year…. right?

Besides TCU, it would be nice to get games with other Texas schools (Houston, SMU, TAMU, Texas, Texas Tech, Baylor(???), etc.  

Wonder if Wichita State, OU or Arkansas will let us visit?

As others have mentioned, it might make sense to travel back east or even up to Minnesota (given our new conference member, St. Thomas is there). I would like to see us start a series with Liberty. That is a long way to go and would need to be coupled with a trip to a P5 school in the vicinity. 

With all of that in mind, we don’t want to ‘over schedule’ the team and trample their confidence. 

17 minutes ago, Keenan Henderson said:

Since TCU is already booked, might as well sign up to play SMU.  Back to back Dallas games.  Houston would be another solid pick, since they are a top 25 team coming off of a Final Four appearance.  In fact, ORU has never played Houston.  It would be good to find some new teams to schedule in the state of Texas.

Those would both be good games, particularly the Cougars as it would help us recruit in the Houston area, just like the TCU game will in Dallas. The Longhorns would also be a great game for us! 

One other big name school that we could get, that would generate national attention would be Baylor!! Coach Mills should be able to get that game if he wanted it. It's actually a courtesy and something of a tradition for big time coaches to help out their assistants that get head coaching jobs by scheduling them.

10 minutes ago, ORUTerry said:

With all of that in mind, we don’t want to ‘over schedule’ the team and trample their confidence. 

I agree with that completely, but we can play 4-5 really good teams in our pre-season that will help with recruiting, draw good attendance, get some national media (particularly if Max really lights it up!!) and still go into conference with a very good win- loss record.  A few tough games will also help prepare us for conference schedule and who knows we may knock off a good team or 2!!!... We're ORU and we just saw it happen in the tourney!!   Expect a Miracle!! 

TheEagleman also doesn't think KO goes to Arkansas.....but we shall see....also, fairly sure ORU has played Houston back in the 70s...i think in our 73-74 NCAA Elite Eight Season....and ORU won.....😎

58 minutes ago, ORU40 said:

Those would both be good games, particularly the Cougars as it would help us recruit in the Houston area, just like the TCU game will in Dallas. The Longhorns would also be a great game for us! 

One other big name school that we could get, that would generate national attention would be Baylor!! Coach Mills should be able to get that game if he wanted it. It's actually a courtesy and something of a tradition for big time coaches to help out their assistants that get head coaching jobs by scheduling them.

Didn't work out so well for Self helping Sutton lol Kansas hasn't played ORU since🏀

32 minutes ago, theeagleman5 said:

TheEagleman also doesn't think KO goes to Arkansas.....but we shall see....also, fairly sure ORU has played Houston back in the 70s...i think in our 73-74 NCAA Elite Eight Season....and ORU won.....😎

Good memory eagleman ORU won on a neutral court 118-108 73-74 season

Yep...one of the few ORU games that I didn't see that season...as I travelled to several away games....I think the Houston game may have been played during a Holiday Tournament perhaps Christmas break....:shield-logo:

On 7/2/2021 at 4:31 PM, theeagleman5 said:

Ufffffff!....Otis, my man....that sounds like a dangerous proposition...just like a scene out of Animal House.....we might need bail money....😮

Hopefully ORUTerry makes the trip and accepts our call from the Tarrant County jail. 🙏

15 minutes ago, theeagleman5 said:

Yep...one of the few ORU games that I didn't see that season...as I travelled to several away games....I think the Houston game may have been played during a Holiday Tournament perhaps Christmas break....:shield-logo:

It was dec 28th 1973

2 hours ago, jmg1984 said:

It was dec 28th 1973

You guys are too good!  Even the ORU website was saying ORU had never played Houston but they missed it!  Still it has been a long time since the Eagles battled Houston and it is close enough to bus down there.  Then you have some guys from the area (Clover, Sir Isaac, and Lawrence) whose families could come and watch their son's in action.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Keenan Henderson said:

You guys are too good!  Even the ORU website was saying ORU had never played Houston but they missed it!  Still it has been a long time since the Eagles battled Houston and it is close enough to bus down there.  Then you have some guys from the area (Clover, Sir Isaac, and Lawrence) whose families could come and watch their son's in action.

“close enough to bus down there”?

It’s 500 miles from Tulsa to Houston; that’s almost like bussing to the Dakotas.

The surprisingly long distances required to travel the length and breadth of The Lone Star State was a determining factor in ORU returning to the Summit League from the Southland Conference.

Surprisingly long? Did anyone in ORU athletics look at a map before moving to the Southland?

2 hours ago, ORUTex said:

Surprisingly long? Did anyone in ORU athletics look at a map before moving to the Southland?

I’m not joking. I think the whole “border state” thing was psychologically comforting.

Until you get the invoice from the bus line for a round trip for the women’s soccer team to Corpus Christi or San Antonio.

TheEagleman is still in dreamland but maybe with our "inside pull"...defending National Champs Baylor would come up to Tulsa to open newly renovated Mabee Center vs. our beloved Golden Eagles?....yeah....i know....too much to ask for....but think about that sellout crowd and the national press.....oh...I love it so.....🤩

35 minutes ago, theeagleman5 said:

TheEagleman is still in dreamland but maybe with our "inside pull"...defending National Champs Baylor would come up to Tulsa to open newly renovated Mabee Center vs. our beloved Golden Eagles?....yeah....i know....too much to ask for....but think about that sellout crowd and the national press.....oh...I love it so.....🤩

Sellout? 

I need some of what you're drinking! 

My honor code expired on graduation day 1976....but I hear ya.....Time for another Sam Adams Summer Ale, Voice.....🥴:circle-logoi:😎