21-22 Schedule

Keenan Henderson

Thinking about next year's schedule and ORU should be bumped up to 18 games in conference with St. Thomas joining the league in July.  So that narrows it down to maybe 10-12 opponents for the non conference schedule.  We know about possible games at home with Tulsa, OK State, and UT Arlington but any updates on other matchups?

When it comes to the current climate for scheduling, take this for what it’s worth.

I frankly don’t buy it; Rothstein has a reputation for posting click-bait:

How can schools that depend on that guarantee money turn it down?

Not likely, Doc.....Rothstein desperate for a story today apparently....😉

Also a thought, some power 5 teams may be afraid to schedule ORU next year.  After the sweet 16 run and especially if Max returns to the Eagles. Remember when ORU was in the Southland Conference and Stephen F. Austin had a hard time scheduling because they kept beating big name schools.  Also hoping Coach Mills stays away from the NAIA schools and only plays one of them and not three or four.

1 hour ago, Dr. Cornelius said:

How can schools that depend on that guarantee money turn it down?

They can't.:) You have to take at least 3 or 4 of those games for the $$. Now as you get better... it becomes harder to get some of them but you can just have to work at it. 

When Caleb Green and the crew where there it was not the easiest his jr and sr years. Got turned downed by numerous bigger schools. They got  the ones they needed but just had to work at it. 

ORU still may get to play a two game series with teams from the Horizon League.  Before the Covid hit, the Summit and Horizon Leagues had a three year contract to play a home and away game with each team from the respective conferences.  It was to be called the Showdown Series.  So we will see if that is still in effect for this upcoming season.  That would be another solid home game for those of you in the Tulsa area.

• 2 weeks later...

Any game that can get ORU into the Dallas area is great!

Wonder if the Eagles are still playing Missouri St.? We had a series with them that seemed to be interrupted by the Covid last year.  I think ORU may have to go play them on the road this year, since they beat them at home in 2019.

20 hours ago, Dr. Cornelius said:

Any game that can get ORU into the Dallas area is great!

This^^^^, particularly considering our coaching staff’s Texas roots and the large number of alumni in the state.

Should play one game every season in the Metroplex, Houston, or San Antonio for as long as Paul Mills is coach, even if it takes doing a home-and-home deal with a low-major like Incarnate Word or Houston Baptist.

Getting the paycheck from a guarantee game vs. a Big XII team like TCU is even better. 

TheEagleman agrees with that....and also lots of ORU Alums in PA and South Jersey....come on, guys...how about a game now and then in the Philadelphia area.....we have Nova, St. Joe's, LaSalle, Temple, Penn, Drexel, Delaware and Rider all within 50 miles of each other.......😀

• Upvote 1

Or they could come to the other end of the Keystone State and play in the Tri-State area.  Start with Penn State on the east and go west to Ohio State.  Both schools are within about a four hour drive and in between you get Pitt, WVU, Duquesne, Ohio, Youngstown State, Akron and Kent State.  Play a money game at either Penn State, Ohio State, Pitt or WVU then schedule a home and away with either Akron, Youngstown State, Kent State, Duquesne or Ohio two days later.  Great games, winnable, nice pay day for the money games and with the mid majors schedule a home and away.  Finally, none of these schools are very far away from each other and in some cases like Pitt and Duquesne or Akron and Kent State you are literally about 5 minutes from one school to the other.  As for Pitt and WVU or Pitt and Penn State you are less than an hour between each school.  Same for Ohio State and Ohio.

• Upvote 1

Coach Mills would not want to take the Eagles up to Columbus to play Ohio State next year.  We all know the Buckeyes would be out for some serious revenge.  Hear what you guys are saying, you want ORU to come to your area.  It would be nice to see the Eagles face off with some new teams.  They usually play the power 5 five teams in the area close to Tulsa but it would be good to mix up the schedule every once and awhile.  When was the last time they played an ACC team or a Big East team? Seems like 10 years or more.

There is some history of coming east. I saw Sutton's teams play WVU and South Carolina about 6 or 7 years ago. They represented themselves very well in those games until late in the second half. I asked Sutton for tickets to both games and he got me six right behind the bench.  Also saw ORU at Penn State. Took a bunch of my friends up to see Mills' first regular season game of his new career. They got hammered. I hope they travel this way again soon. Would love to see them in person.

• Upvote 2

I was in Morgantown for the WVU game in 2011 and also in Happy Valley for the Penn State game in 2017.  At both games there was a very loud and enthusiastic group of ORU fans sitting in the seats behind the Golden Eagles.  At Morgantown we easily filled one section of their arena and at PSU I would estimate our crowd at somewhere around 300.  I can also say that at both games our fans were from not only Pennsylvania or West Virginia but Ohio and Maryland/DC as well.   Hopefully they come our way again soon.  We also played Akron both in Tulsa and Akron in 2010, 2011 and 2013.  As for the Big East, we played Xavier in Cincinnati in 2011.  Schedule Xavier again and you could play UC which is just minutes away as well as Dayton and Miami of Ohio which are just a short drive (less than an hour) away.  Or you could drive an hour south of Cincinnati and play either Louisville or UK in the Bluegrass State.

It seems like Coach's mindset has been play to schools that are within a 5-6 hour bus ride and avoid long flights.  He does not want ORU logging a lot of miles and wearing out as the season goes on.  So his pool of road games is from: Kansas, Arkansas, OK, Texas, and Missouri.  It does make sense from a coach's point of view.  In conference they are flying every road game (minus KC) and now this year they have to go almost to Canada (St. Thomas-Minneapolis).

On 6/11/2021 at 12:45 PM, Old Titan said:

This^^^^, particularly considering our coaching staff’s Texas roots and the large number of alumni in the state.

Should play one game every season in the Metroplex, Houston, or San Antonio for as long as Paul Mills is coach, even if it takes doing a home-and-home deal with a low-major like Incarnate Word or Houston Baptist.

Getting the paycheck from a guarantee game vs. a Big XII team like TCU is even better. 

I agree that playing at TCU is a great game for us. We should be playing in Dallas, Houston or San Antonio or anyplace else in Texas we can schedule and if its vs Big XII teams and the big checks that's all the better.

It's not only a great place for us to play due to the number of alumni, but in my opinion the biggest benefit is in recruiting!! 

With Coach Mills Texas roots and Max being from Dallas and KO from Houston, we should play down there as often as possible!!