21-22 Schedule

Keenan Henderson

16 hours ago, Keenan Henderson said:

Coach Mills would not want to take the Eagles up to Columbus to play Ohio State next year.  We all know the Buckeyes would be out for some serious revenge.  Hear what you guys are saying, you want ORU to come to your area.  It would be nice to see the Eagles face off with some new teams.  They usually play the power 5 five teams in the area close to Tulsa but it would be good to mix up the schedule every once and awhile.  When was the last time they played an ACC team or a Big East team? Seems like 10 years or more.

Syracuse!

8 hours ago, Keenan Henderson said:

…and now this year they have to go almost to Canada (St. Thomas-Minneapolis).

Minneapolis will be one of the easier conference road trips. Southern Minnesota where Minneapolis is located is just a little further north than Brookings, South Dakota and is a straight shot bus ride on interstate highways; plus a pretty easy flight itinerary if they choose that option. 

Not sure how they do the North Dakota trips with the current staff, but under Scott Sutton I know they flew at least once to/from Minneapolis and then bussed to/from Fargo, ND rather than driving the entire way to play the Bison.

Heard a rumor that we might be chartering to the Dakotas next year…

Man, the four-game stretch to end the regular season is brutal:

• at North Dakota State
  • at North Dakota
  • South Dakota State here
  • South Dakota here

...then right back up to Sioux Falls for the tournament.

Gonna be a challenge to finish strong; figuratively & literally. 💪🏻

The only good about a tough end of the conference schedule is that by February your new guys (McBride and Philips) should be playing at a higher level then say back in December/January.

2 minutes ago, Keenan Henderson said:

The only good about a tough end of the conference schedule is that by February your new guys (McBride and Philips) should be playing at a higher level then say back in December/January.

P-H-I-P-P-S

Rhymes with "Phipps"... 😉

• Haha 1

Not to mention the conference schedule begins with road games at South Dakota and South Dakota St. before Christmas.  That is a first.  So the middle of the conference season (3-14 games) will be the time for ORU to win big.  Anybody think St. Thomas will be much of a problem?  First team to ever jump from D III to D1.

Thanks OT for the correction: got the spelling down (smile)

21 minutes ago, Keenan Henderson said:

Anybody think St. Thomas will be much of a problem?  First team to ever jump from D III to D1.

I remember many of us scoffing about Oakland, IPFW and IUPUI when they made the climb to D1 and joined the Mid-Con/Summit; they were all beating our butts (and other's) in no time.

St. Thomas has more resources, facilities, students, fans, sponsors, tradition, etc. than any of those schools. 

Give 'em a year or two; they'll be a factor in basketball and many other sports.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Old Titan said:

St. Thomas has more resources, students, fans, sponsors, history, etc. than any of those schools. 

Give 'em a year or two; they'll be a factor in basketball any many other sports.

I agree.

St. Thomas has all the resources to be very competitive if they chose to be. They will probably have to build larger facilities but I think they have already committed to that.

North Dakota lost a big part of their team (including all star Philip Rebrecca) and South Dakota lost Stanley Umede (21 points and 7 rebounds).  So I am hoping these teams will take a step back next year instead of rebuilding like they usually do.  It seems like the Dakota schools can lose four starters and come back the next year just as good or even better.  Not sure how they do that?

21 minutes ago, Keenan Henderson said:

It seems like the Dakota schools can lose four starters and come back the next year just as good or even better.  Not sure how they do that?

LOL - it’s called “coaching”, with all that entails:  recruiting, player development, scheduling, roster management, etc.

The ultimate examples are the Duke’s and Kentucky’s of the world who lose large percentages of their underclass starting fives to the NBA every season, yet win 25+ games the next year with all-new 18-year-olds leading the way. 

It’s almost like Cal and Coach K know what they’re doing or something. 

Looking at St. Thomas website it says that the Tommies have all five starters back next year and also they brought in a couple of transfers from D1 schools.   So they may a problem right away, look out Denver and Omaha!  Guessing St. Thomas is not eligilble for the conference tournament for a few years or any postseason games.

On 6/10/2021 at 3:02 PM, ORUalum said:

Otis is taking a road trip to Cowtown. Who’s gonna meet me there?

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

That’s a Thursday night - tempting to make a weekend out of it. 

Would be awesome if ORU could find a Saturday or Sunday opponent of any kind in the Metroplex while they’re down there. 

• Upvote 1

OT,

Totally agree with your suggestion. Fort Worth is a nice place to spend weekend even if our boys aren’t playing another game. Stay downtown and enjoy Sundance Square and the surrounding area. 

Otis

9 minutes ago, Otis 83 said:

OT,

Totally agree with your suggestion. Fort Worth is a nice place to spend weekend even if our boys aren’t playing another game. Stay downtown and enjoy Sundance Square and the surrounding area. 

Otis

I attended a trade show a couple of years ago in Fort Worth and stayed downtown; really enjoyed the libations at one of the rooftop patio establishments of which you speak. 

Might have to finally take “The Heartland Flyer” from OKC to Fort Worth so I can mark it off my bucket list!

CA698043-5B40-4AE5-9E98-6CDAF996E498.jpeg

Seems like there are a LOT of guys on here that drink a LOT of alcohol. Between that and all the gambling talk, it's a virtual den of iniquity. 🤣

• Haha 2
  • Upvote 1