Max Abmas / Mock Drafts

ORUalum

7 minutes ago, TrueBlue82 said:

Yes, I heard the Katz interview yesterday and had the exact same impression, ORU40.  He is 100% focused on the NBA opportunity right now - and needs to be.  It will be interesting to see how the next few days of the combine play out.

On a side-note rabbit trail, ORU40, I remember seeing you on a TV show back in the 80's.  I believe it was a mystery plot which involved a basketball team - and you were one of the players.  Could you remind me what show it was - and how that opportunity came about?

Oh Boy, that was way back TrueBlue82! It was a TV show called "Misfits of Science", it starred Dean Martin's son (who was a pilot and was killed later in a plane crash with the Air National Guard) and a very young, pre-'Friends" Courtney Cox, it only lasted on season and if any of you missed it, your in the vast majority of TV viewers. I was in an episode that involved a basketball team and surprisingly played a basketball player. I was a special talent extra ( my special talent was being tall and able to shoot a basketball that they could cut and make it look like one of the actors had shot), I got the gig from a high school team mate of Mark & Jeff Acres whose dad was in TV behind the camera, mostly stunts, who also did some minor casting.  It was just a few days work, a couple of days at the Sports Arena in LA and also a couple days at Baron Hilton former mansion(its been in many TV shows and movies- the pool is very famous) in Beverly Hills for a party scene. I did 2 shows, the other didn't even last as long as this series- which wasn't long!   I don't remember why Mark and Jeff couldn't do it, but they called me and I said sure. ( I tell my wife and kids, it was my movie star good looks!! LOL).  

It was a lot of fun, but lets just say Hollywood wasn't knocking my door down!         

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, ORU40 said:

Oh Boy, that was way back TrueBlue82! It was a TV show called "Misfits of Science", it starred Dean Martin's son (who was a pilot and was killed later in a plane crash with the Air National Guard) and a very young, pre-'Friends" Courtney Cox, it only lasted on season and if any of you missed it, your in the vast majority of TV viewers. I was in an episode that involved a basketball team and surprisingly played a basketball player. I was a special talent extra ( my special talent was being tall and able to shoot a basketball that they could cut and make it look like one of the actors had shot), I got the gig from a high school team mate of Mark & Jeff Acres whose dad was in TV behind the camera, mostly stunts, who also did some minor casting.  It was just a few days work, a couple of days at the Sports Arena in LA and also a couple days at Baron Hilton former mansion(its been in many TV shows and movies- the pool is very famous) in Beverly Hills for a party scene. I did 2 shows, the other didn't even last as long as this series- which wasn't long!   I don't remember why Mark and Jeff couldn't do it, but they called me and I said sure. ( I tell my wife and kids, it was my movie star good looks!! LOL).  

It was a lot of fun, but lets just say Hollywood wasn't knocking my door down!         

Was this the episode?

IMDB: Misfits of Science - "Center of Attention"

The Misfits are pulled into the world of gambling once more when they uncover a plot by the manager of a basketball team to bet on his team to lose. This happens as his players purposely throw games.

14 minutes ago, Dr. Cornelius said:

Was this the episode?

That was it! and I know what you're thinking... how was that not a hit?? With that cast Dean Martins son, Courtney Cox and Sam Potter! 

Sounds like must see TV!! 

• Like 1

World-class segue - here's some potential "Must See TV" for the coming season:  Owasso's Shake Milton and ORU's Max Abmas raining threes for the 76ers second unit?

How long does K.O. have to decide if he going pro overseas? Until school starts?  Does anyone think the Combine will make or break Max's chances with the NBA?  

33 minutes ago, Old Titan said:

World-class segue - here's some potential "Must See TV" for the coming season:  Owasso's Shake Milton and ORU's Max Abmas raining threes for the 76ers second unit?

I'm not a 76ers fan, but that would be a great fit for Max and the sixers, they just got a rude awakening to the reality that you need 3 point shooters in the modern game and Curry is the only true shooter on their roster. And as a team that has a scoring big guy they need shooters so teams cant just double and triple Embid particularly in the playoffs when the game slows down and they play a lot more half court as opposed to the run and gun regular season. Maxey and Milton are very similar as they are both slashers and not true shooters and are less effective in the half court sets.  

This prediction seems very possible to me.

6 hours ago, Keenan Henderson said:

How long does K.O. have to decide if he going pro overseas? Until school starts?  Does anyone think the Combine will make or break Max's chances with the NBA?  

The deadline for Max to withdraw from the NBA draft is July 7th, so we’ll know his plans no later than that date. 

Kevin could go another month - or even more - before we know what he’s going to do. 

6 hours ago, ORU40 said:

Maxey and Milton are very similar as they are both slashers and not true shooters and are less effective in the half court sets.

I’ve followed Shake Milton’s career since he was in junior high playing with my son in Owasso; he’s an incredible 3-point shooter, but he does have a long release and lacks (at least in this state of his development) that killer instinct that volume scorers in the NBA need. 

In contrast, Max has a machine-gun release and never met a “heat check” three he didn’t take.

They would make an interesting backcourt combination with 6’5” Shake playing the “2”.

18 hours ago, Keenan Henderson said:

Does anyone think the Combine will make or break Max's chances with the NBA?  

I don't think the Combine will make or break Max's chances with the NBA, but it will have a huge impact on where he gets drafted, there's a significant difference between 1st round contracts and 2nd round deals. Not just the $$, but guaranteed money vs non-guaranteed and length of the deal, etc. 

So today is a big day for Max, 5 on 5 scrimmages at 2:00pm CT, on ESPN2.

Hope Max really plays well today today!! Its a big day for him and the University. A lot of people will be watching and hearing the name ORU!!  

Definitely  "Must see TV"!! 

• Like 2

ESPN2 (June 24) and ESPNU (June 25) will provide coverage of the five-on-five games from 3-7 p.m. ET each day.

Given Trae Young’s performance in this NBA playoff season, I suspect a lot of teams want to find a similar type player. That should give Max a few more looks

Many projected first-round prospects traditionally opt out of these 5-on-5 scrimmages; this year is no exception.  Curious to see if the stars of these games move up much in the mock drafts after all is said and done, particularly moving from the 2nd round up into the 1st round.

How much will the “ghost of Ben Simmons” lurk over this draft? He checks most of the boxes - except he can’t shoot/score. A guy like that is ‘safe’ because he fulfills the eye test. A pick like Trae Young and (more so?) Max Abmas takes courage from a GM. 

14 minutes ago, ORUTerry said:

How much will the “ghost of Ben Simmons” lurk over this draft? He checks most of the boxes - except he can’t shoot/score. A guy like that is ‘safe’ because he fulfills the eye test. A pick like Trae Young and (more so?) Max Abmas takes courage from a GM. 

I think Ben Simmons has been mishandled by Philadelphia.  They expect too much from him offensively; they need to use him the way Phoenix used to use Shawn Marion or Milwaukee used Paul Pressey:  fine, have him bring the ball up and initiate the offense, but don't run isolation sets for him expecting him to score.   Let his points come in the natural flow of the game, and surround him with shooters.

The problem for a GM selecting Max is that if he doesn't work out, it's too easy for the naysayers to say "why did you ever take a guy who is too small?".  There will be no benefit of the doubt, like there would be for any other prospect who at least looks the part.

Suffice it to say that if Max does go through the draft and get selected, it will likely be by some GM who is confident in his own job security and who works for a team that already has a lot of talent.

• Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, ORUTerry said:

I think Ben Simmons will lurk over this draft more than you might think, OT's Shawn Marion & Paul Pressey reference makes a good point on Simmons specifically, but the game overall is so much more 3 point shot dominate now then even  10 or 20 years ago. In the 90's teams probably shot 10 3's in a game where as now some teams are shooting 25-30 or often times many more 3's per game.  

Teams have to have more 3 point shooters in todays game, it's just the way the game has evolved based on analytics and is played now.

I agree that Max is more likely to go to good team, teams in the lottery draft the best available player and late 1st round or teams in the 2nd round are better teams or teams that are looking to fill a particular need, and several eliminated playoff teams or teams hoping to get into the playoffs need improved 3 point shooting.