Forecasting The Next ORU Men's Basketball Coach

Old Titan

Kyan is a nice enough guy, but after you can a coach that's been around for 20 years, do you replace him with an former player/assistant that was there for the worst part of it? Nothing about it screams "new direction for ORU basketball".

Also, not a big fan of him taking an assistant job in-conference. But I guess you leave a train going off the tracks any way you can.

Although he did indirectly recruit the one of the few 4-year players to come through the program in the last 10 years, so there's that.

And ORU is the last place I thought I would hear is wanting a coach who "looks the part". What is this, an SEC school in the '60s? I'm not sure we have a fan base that's going to turn because we hired a black coach. The few that's left may be turned off by more 8-22 records though.

I have searched and I find nothing about the possibility of coaches coming in for interview and we are coming into the last week when the AD stated that we would have a coach by the end of the month. Where are we in this process. Surely, someone knows something about  who, what, when, and where.  Come on OT!  If I remember correctly you are the one who started this thread before the release of the coach.

unless they get blown away by a proven winner wanting the job, i hope ORU rolls the dice and gives Coach Perry a shot.

let him bring in a young, hungry staff and get to work rebuilding. 

if he is successful he will be moving on in 3 or 4 years and if not you try again after 4 years.

• Upvote 1

From everything that's come out officially about the timeline, you should all have your answer on Friday, right?  Isn't that the last (business) day of the month?

18 hours ago, Old Titan said:

I guess it's possible a Media Relations type who focuses on men's basketball could be in charge of the "ORU Basketball" twitter account, but either way I would wager that not much (anything?) gets tweeted under that account without the approval of the coach, interim or otherwise.

Managers aren't controlling a major channel of communication for any major D1 basketball team

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, brownbandwagon said:

Not a relative, but with the names that I've heard he's the guy that I would like to have. I found Perry's info on the Avila website. I see it has been posted  above. That win-loss number at Avila Is very concerning to me.

I do not know Kyan personally but you would have to think that maybe he left because there was no way for him to be promoted as the next head coach if he would've stayed here. Maybe it's one of those things that you have a better chance if you leave and go somewhere else to eventually come back.  Those were my thoughts when Hankins left several years ago. I could be totally wrong though. 

I would think that our "big names" would have to be Crutchfield and Corey Williams. I also read in the paper that there were a few big 12 assistants that had applied.  However, I don't believe we will ever know the names of other candidates except for the one that is hired. They seem to be pretty tight lipped on this whole search.

Can't imagine Crutchfield is a serious candidate...for many reasons. Corey Williams on the other hand is a very believable candidate...for many reasons.  My only pause with Corey is his four-year head-coaching record (39-88) at Stetson, although he seems to have impressed the leadership at Stetson enough to receive a contract extension thru 2021...buyout price is?!? 

https://hoopdirt.com/26098-2/

I honestly don't believe there are any big name candidates. Big names to me would be Tom Crean and Mark Gottfried. Nobody we hire is going to make a splash nationally, IMO. I think everything we heard in the press conference was a bunch of fluff.

Woodberry would be a nice hire. Familiar with Tulsa area from his time at TU and Had a nice career at Kansas. 

• Upvote 1

43 minutes ago, brownbandwagon said:

I honestly don't believe there are any big name candidates. Big names to me would be Tom Crean and Mark Gottfried. Nobody we hire is going to make a splash nationally, IMO. I think everything we heard in the press conference was a bunch of fluff.

Woodberry would be a nice hire. Familiar with Tulsa area from his time at TU and Had a nice career at Kansas. 

"Big name" is all relative. At ORU's level that probably means a current head coach or an assistant from a blue blood/top 25 program.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Dr. Cornelius said:

"Big name" is all relative. At ORU's level that probably means a current head coach or an assistant from a blue blood/top 25 program.

e.g. - Crutchfield and Williams 

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Bad Blood said:

Managers aren't controlling a major channel of communication for any major D1 basketball team

From what I've seen of some of the ORU Basketball Twitter "content" (being polite), managers might do a better job.

And when did ORU become a "major D1 basketball team"?

At a resource-strapped low major such as ORU, student managers may be in charge of more things than anyone would care to imagine, in Men's Basketball OR Media Relations. 

• Upvote 2

I can't remember a single interaction in my life where the person who went out of their way to highlight their politeness was actually being polite.

19 minutes ago, Bad Blood said:

I can't remember a single interaction in my life where the person who went out of their way to highlight their politeness was actually being polite.

And I can't recall a single instance where the cliche' "being polite" wasn't purposely intended as literary code for "read between the lines".

Similar to when someone from the South shakes his his/her head wistfully and says "bless his/her heart", which is actually code for "geez, what an idiot".

Or, that classic non sequitor of this century:  "I'm just sayin'..."

if ORU is going to make a hire by the end of the month, they should be bringing candidates in for interviews this week.

i suspect we will start hearing names soon.

I agree. If the coach will be announced by the end of the week (Friday?) then I suppose that interviews are in process and close to completion. The next phase would be to narrow the candidates down and complete the background review for the final decision. I wonder if the interviews will all be held in Tulsa? I assume so. Not sure if we will hear anything until the announcement.

So far, the only names that have been conjectured:

• Rod Perry (interim)
  • Corey Williams (former assistant)
  • Chris Crutchfield (former assistant)
  • Kyan Brown (former assistant)
  • Tom Hankins (former assistant)
  • Steve Woodberry (Wake Forest assistant who friended several ORU Athletic department employees)

I assume that there are other possible candidates.

Let's sure hope so......:blink:

Again, and no offense to any of the above, please do not pick someone just because they have had some type of connection to ORU.  Pick the best possible candidate even if they have never stepped foot on Campus.  Pick the best possible candidate who can recruit, retain, develop, manage, grow and coach the team to Summit League championships and NCAA post season appearances.

• Upvote 4