Forecasting The Next ORU Men's Basketball Coach

Old Titan

Pretty sure Crutchfield is making around $400,000 with camps and such. He isn't taking that big of a paycut.

I still think it is a D2 coach or really young assistant that will take in the $200,000 range or less. They want to save the $$. 

Even if you can get a young guy that will come in and win some games and then leaves in a couple of years that's not the worse thing. Happens at most smaller schools. O

Or even at TU!:)

Don't know any of the other candidates but I would be happy with Perry.

• Coached players who will be one and dones in college basketball this upcoming season
  • Seems to have a good relationship with current players
  • Previously a college assistant
  • Upvote 1

i'm pulling for Coach Perry as well.  hard to believe that in it's 50+ year existence, ORU has never had an African-American head coach in any sport.

ORU basketball: AD impressed with response to open coaching position

(excerpt)

Regardless of how the hiring process plays out to replace Sutton, there is one man unafraid of announcing his desire to be the next head coach of the Golden Eagles. It’s Rodney Perry.

“Hopefully I can get the interim tag removed,” Perry said not long after he was thrust into the role after Sutton was fired after 18 years as ORU’s head coach. “Hopefully I can become the head coach.”

As of right now, Perry is in charge — just without the official title.

“I carry on as I’m the head coach,” Perry said in the wake of Sutton’s dismissal. “I’m getting all the guys lined out with their workouts and class schedules. It’s just normal day-to-day operations.”

Now Perry is hoping those connections catapult him into the head job at ORU.

“I’ve been a head coach already, so I’m prepared for that,” said Perry, who also served as an assistant at Western Illinois and Duquesne at the Division I level. “I also coached some of the best players on the AAU circuit. The relationship I have with the players and coaches separates me from other coaches.”

Perry said he would make it a priority to mold the players both on and off the court.

“I’m really into skill development,” he said. “I want to be a Christian role model for our guys and a mentor.”

I believe either Perry or Crutchfield should be our next coach. Crutchfield is not only a good coach but a good recruiter. Saying that,  I do not know what style of ball Perry would play. I hope to see a change in the offense and defense style of play. We have the height and hopefully we can retain the lefty recruit. I do see White making a difference with Chris getting more minutes. We have 4 and maybe 5 players 6'7 or better. We need to find that pure shooter and a point. No matter who we hire, I trust they will bring Wilkerson in as an assistant. He is ORU BLUE.

24 minutes ago, ORU GRAD said:

No matter who we hire, I trust they will bring Wilkerson in as an assistant. He is ORU BLUE.

I know most coaches like to bring in "their guys" after being hired but I would be :100: for adding Wilkerson as an assistant. It could be helpful for the incoming head coach to have an assistant who would be so familiar with ORU.

A former professional basketball player for six years, Coach Wilkerson was the conference player of the year at Oral Roberts University and twice led the state of Texas in scoring while in high school.

As a college and professional basketball player, Coach Wilkerson was coached by, among others, Bill Self and Kareem Abdul-Jabbar.

As a basketball coach, Coach Wilkerson led High Point Christian Academy to a #4 state ranking and had one of his players named All-State and two named All-Conference. One of his players was also named to the first team High Point Enterprise All Triad Team. He has also coached prominent AAU basketball teams for several years at the highest levels, including the 2009 Kingdom Athletes U-15 and U-13 teams.

Dr. Cornelius,

Great Post and I agree. Chad Wilkerson  needs to be at ORU.

The list they have and the people that are interviewing is pretty darn surprising. Pretty nice list of candidates. Hope they find a good fit for ORU.

23 minutes ago, darrenj said:

The list they have and the people that are interviewing is pretty darn surprising. Pretty nice list of candidates. Hope they find a good fit for ORU.

Given your knowledge of the candidates, care to make a prediction on whether we stay with Rodney or go elsewhere? Perhaps a % of likelihood?  

Footnotes:

1.  Mark Gottfried transferred from ORU to Alabama in a rage in 1983 following Ken Hayes' dismissal.  Hiring him would represent a remarkable "prodigal son" story, but I simply can't see it, particularly in ORU's reported salary range.  (Completely unrelated tidbit:  Gottfried was hired and fired at NC State by none other than AD Debbie Yow, who was the women's basketball coach at ORU while Gottfried was on campus).

2.  I've heard from more than one person that Chris Crutchfield was very unhappy at ORU, one simply said "he hated it".  He too would have to take a pay cut to return to ORU.

3. Don't forget that Tom Hankins' wife and Scott Sutton's wife are sisters.  That makes all their children cousins, along with Sean Sutton's kids.  Blood is thicker than water AND marginal D1 jobs - just don't see that one happening, either.

4. The name I keep hearing from those who might know something is former ORU assistant (and current NDSU assistant) Kyan Brown:  played for Barry Hinson at ORU, coached with Scott Sutton, knows the university and the Summit League, should be affordable in that 200K range, and in what is a disgusting-but-apparently-important factor for Billy Wilson, he "looks the part" for what BW is wanting.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Old Titan said:

Footnotes:

1. No way ORU could get in his price range

3.  Agree, Wilson is not going to go there.

4.  I would be VERY disappointed.  He was front and center for the decline in talent the last few years.

Here is a name I saw a few days ago on Twitter and forgot to post......Danny Manning assistant

6 minutes ago, ORUalum said:

4.  I would be VERY disappointed.  He was front and center for the decline in talent the last few years.

100% agree 

Rod Perry.....:y:.......Steve Woodbury.....:y:.....Kyan Brown....:n:......:eagles:

I know this is a random name, but does anyone think we could get Joe Dooley from FGCU? He's a former Bill Self Assistant and from what I could find isn't making very much money.

1 hour ago, Old Titan said:

4. The name I keep hearing from those who might know something is former ORU assistant (and current NDSU assistant) Kyan Brown:  played for Barry Hinson at ORU, coached with Scott Sutton, knows the university and the Summit League, should be affordable in that 200K range, and in what is a disgusting-but-apparently-important factor for Billy Wilson, he "looks the part" for what BW is wanting.

I like Kyan. But, I sincerely hope the "he looks the part" comment is NOT true.

• Upvote 1

Editor's note:  the "looks the part" comment re: Kyan Brown represents paraphrased comments from the person I talked to - no idea what BW's actual words were; just conveying his apparent sentiments.  The person I talked to seemed to think Kyan very closely fit the bill for what BW is looking for in the next coach. 

As for Kyan being part of the problem re: previous recruiting, it should be noted that his role (as djenkins mentioned earlier) would be diminished in that capacity as head coach, as he would need to hire a "rainmaker" to do the heavy-lifting in assessing and following suitable talent that he would ultimately "close the deal" with.

I'm frankly a little surprised at the backlash here re: Kyan, who is an ORU graduate.  They could sure do a lot worse if they just go after some Power 5 assistant who's looking to jump as soon as possible.