Forecasting The Next ORU Men's Basketball Coach

Old Titan

3 minutes ago, Old Titan said:

The problem with such a low salary and a short contract is that, with ANY success at all, he becomes a target of even low majors.

Would no else be embarrassed to hear that in two years, after going 18-12, he's a candidate to double his salary at Dallas Baptist or Central Arkansas?

Or, worse yet, to be the number one assistant at a Bic XII school? (don't snicker:  ORU has lost head coaches to the assistant ranks before in baseball, and IPFW lost their last basketball head coach to an assistant's gig in the Big 10).

Official word hasn't come down yet and already OT is a ... 

giphy.gif

I want to see what his staff looks like. We know that Perry will be there for at least a year.

I hope he makes ORU a stepping stone. I can live with that.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, oruvoice said:

18-12 might be a bit of a stretch for losing him to a low-major.

But, 18-12 ain't looking too bad right now...

making the conference tournament, executing out of timeouts, executing baseline inbounds plays, executing in late game situations, recruiting - retaining - and developing talent.....also sounds good about right now.

THE BAR IS VERY LOW RIGHT NOW -- similar to when Self took over.

• Upvote 4

Just now, WingMaaaan said:

Official word hasn't come down yet and already OT is a ... 

giphy.gif

LOL - just about the contract; no clue about the man's abilities.

Wishing him and ORU nothing but the best!

• Upvote 1

Just now, ORUalum said:

making the conference tournament, executing out of timeouts, executing baseline inbounds plays, executing in late game situations, recruiting - retaining - and developing talent.....also sounds good about right now.

THE BAR IS VERY LOW RIGHT NOW -- similar to when Self took over.

LOL - when you put it that way, even very small steps WOULD have to be considered an improvement, wouldn't they?

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Old Titan said:

LOL - when you put it that way, even very small steps WOULD have to be considered an improvement, wouldn't they?

i could have also added to the list --- play defense

4 minutes ago, ORUalum said:

5 yr deal.....

That's interesting - I've had two people close to the deal say it's three years, plus Bill Haisten with the Tulsa World just reported three years on their website...maybe three years, with options to five?

Five certainly sounds better to a high school recruit than three, that's for sure.

And, to the "folks back home"... ;-)

6 minutes ago, ORU82 said:

Hopefully no more 4 small guard look.  Any idea if Perry truly stays on staff?

Baylor's guards were/are taller than 80% of the players at ANY position in the Summit League - just get some length on the floor at the same time!

From his bio, it does not appear that he's a big-time recruiter.  Perry might serve him well in that capacity.

• Upvote 1

Can't wait to hear him speak (press conference). Hoping he is ready to not only recruit, but generate some local fan excitement!

7 minutes ago, Old Titan said:

That's interesting - I've had two people close to the deal say it's three years, plus Bill Haisten with the Tulsa World just reported three years on their website...maybe three years, with options to five?

Five certainly sounds better to a high school recruit than three, that's for sure.

And, to the "folks back home"... ;-)

Fake news.... sorry, just had to say it.  :stuck-out-tongue:

6 minutes ago, ORUTerry said:

Fake news.... sorry, just had to say it.  :stuck-out-tongue:

Literally laughed out loud.

A cook is only as good as his ingredients.

And a message board hack like me is only as good as his so-called "sources".

(But, since the people who told me "3 years" are really well-placed, I'm inclined to think the deal truly IS for only three years guaranteed, and the "5-year" label is being put out there for retail purposes).

ORU just made it official:

I've started a new thread; time to put this "forecast" thread to rest, I suppose.

The time for predictions is over - now it's "Game On!"

18 hours ago, elroy92 said:

ORU needs to take a look at how Grand Canyon University hires coaches...could  learn a few things...Also check out the student section called the Havocs...unreal!

I don't think a $1.5 million salary is an option for us

2 hours ago, Old Titan said:

If he somehow gets ORU to the NCAA tournament in 2-3 years, he should get any job he wants.

I would settle for a top 2 finish in the Summit League regular season race by his third year; that should warrant doubling his salary, but all indications are they wouldn't.

Implying we're stuck in the $200K range for the foreseeable future? Very disappointing. I was hoping this was a temporary salary level while we pay off Scott's contract.