Forecasting The Next ORU Men's Basketball Coach

Old Titan

At the risk of unintentionally stirring the current pot, I'm a little surprised that we don't maintain a thread like this 24/7/365.  Most fan forums do.

Whether Scott Sutton takes another job in or out of basketball, is dismissed, or simply retires years from now, it WILL happen, as it happens with EVERY coach in America at EVERY school in America:  some day, someone out there will be the next men's basketball coach.

They say that every good athletic director has a constantly-evolving short list of candidates at his disposal for that inevitable day.

So, who might some of the guys be on ORU's list, at any particular time?

Here's a guy who got me to thinking about the question.  I don't know anything about Mark Downey, but he's putting together an interesting resume that some day might make him a D-1 candidate, for ORU or another mid-to-low-major in Middle America:

Who YOU got?

Interesting timing on this post...

I've always been a big fan of Kyan Brown. Would love to see a former Golden Eagle at the head of the program. Tom Hankins is the other name that jumped to my mind. Are these guys too loyal to Scott to consider a shot at a D1 program?  

i thought this was a pointless thread and did not reply when i saw it........man, was i wrong.

did you know something OT?

Crutch would be an excellent head coach for ORU.  The problem is that he is probably making more money at OU as an assistant than what we will be willing to pay for the next head coach.  Hankins won't touch the job now that his brother-in-law has been treated in this manner, but there is no one better with the X's & O's than Hank.

OT must have had a Word of Knowledge....TheEagleman also thought this was a frivolous post....but here we are 36 hours later looking for a basketball coach....pathetic....Billy Wilson must go!!!!.....:puke:

Any chance Rodney Perry is retained as the head coach? 

I say give Rodney a shot and bring in slim as an assistant. He may be our best opportunity and he is familiar with the team and may save some from leaving and keep some of the new recruits. Just a thought.

promoting Perry makes sense.  if he is the guy, do it right away.  this is a complete rebuild.  he will come cheap while ORU takes the hit to pay off Sutton's 2 years remaining.

give Perry the time and tools to compete.  (i.e. lift the recruiting restrictions if true)

would he be ORU's first ever African-American head coach if he got the job?

46 minutes ago, ORUalum said:

promoting Perry makes sense.  if he is the guy, do it right away.  this is a complete rebuild.  he will come cheap while ORU takes the hit to pay off Sutton's 2 years remaining.

give Perry the time and tools to compete.  (i.e. lift the recruiting restrictions if true)

would he be ORU's first ever African-American head coach if he got the job?

Yes.

Coaches dropping like flies...who's next?...the public address announcer???....;-)

15 minutes ago, theeagleman5 said:

Coaches dropping like flies...who's next?...the public address announcer???....;-)

Ouch.

• Upvote 1

I have no idea who our next MBB HC will be, but I am not going to panic either.   As nearly as can be figured out, Scott Sutton was the second highest paid coach in the Summit, only behind the HC at Denver.  Also, our MBB budget is second only to Denver's in the Summit, and is light years ahead of the rest of the Summit.  Further, there are plenty of up and coming coaches who would love to make Scott's $465K per year, have a 10,550+ seat arena to play in, have a separate practice gym for his team to practice in, and also all of the other amenities our program enjoys.  Finally and no offense to anyone but perhaps we use this as an opportunity to think outside the box and quit looking at the usual suspects who have or had some connection with ORU and start to look at coaches from outside the region.  Our program is in a shambles and was prior to Scott's firing.  For one reason or another since the end of the season we have lost D. Harris, A.A., K-Mart, A.Y. and Bradley.  Therefore, look at this as an opportunity to completely rebuild the program from the ground up and don't bring in someone who will simply continue what was obviously failing. 

One other thing, I checked some of the other college basketball boards in my region (Ohio, Pennsylvania and West Virginia) and those that did mention Scott's firing were not about how terrible it was but rather why did we wait to fire Scott.  By "wait" I do not mean a month after the end of the season, I mean why did we wait until now when a lot of larger state schools would have fired him a year ago or more.  I point that out because at many larger programs back here they would probably have pulled the plug on he and his staff before the end of this last season.

4 minutes ago, ORU82 said:

I have no idea who our next MBB HC will be, but I am not going to panic either.   As nearly as can be figured out, Scott Sutton was the second highest paid coach in the Summit, only behind the HC at Denver.  Also, our MBB budget is second only to Denver's in the Summit, and is light years ahead of the rest of the Summit.  Further, there are plenty of up and coming coaches who would love to make Scott's $465K per year, have a 10,550+ seat arena to play in, have a separate practice gym for his team to practice in, and also all of the other amenities our program enjoys.  Finally and no offense to anyone but perhaps we use this as an opportunity to think outside the box and quit looking at the usual suspects who have or had some connection with ORU and start to look at coaches from outside the region.  Our program is in a shambles and was prior to Scott's firing.  For one reason or another since the end of the season we have lost D. Harris, A.A., K-Mart, A.Y. and Bradley.  Therefore, look at this as an opportunity to completely rebuild the program from the ground up and don't bring in someone who will simply continue what was obviously failing. 

You are assuming that we're going to pay someone the $465k Scott was making. Doubt it. We're already going to be paying a pretty decent buyout to Scott.