Forecasting The Next ORU Men's Basketball Coach

Old Titan

8 hours ago, Idig32 said:

I think I'd be happy with any of the first three. Don't know about Mills. Would not be happy with Brown. 

Agreed. 

However, I've got a sinking feeling that OT told us who the new coach was a week and a half ago.... :(:angry:

On 4/17/2017 at 9:46 AM, Old Titan said:

Footnotes:

4. The name I keep hearing from those who might know something is former ORU assistant (and current NDSU assistant) Kyan Brown:  played for Barry Hinson at ORU, coached with Scott Sutton, knows the university and the Summit League, should be affordable in that 200K range, and in what is a disgusting-but-apparently-important factor for Billy Wilson, he "looks the part" for what BW is wanting.

TheEagleman would hire the best African-American candidate available...it's time for ORU to get into the 21st Century with something besides campus architecture....:y:

• Upvote 1

I don't see anything wrong with hiring Brown.  He played at ORU he coached at ORU,  he's a good guy.  Now if Wilson is hiring him because he has the look then that's on Wilson.  And I think Wilson needs to go.  He seems to have an old school way at looking at things.  Also keep Perry as an assistant, not as a head coach.  But would be happy with any of the other 4 candidates.

If this report is true, the committee is bringing five candidates to President Wilson for him to interview/consider? Seems strange that they didn't pare it down to 2 or 3. Five interviews will take a lot of time and effort. 

• Any coach will have a huge job on their hands with the condition Stutton left the program in.
  • Any of these coaches will be an improvement over Sutton's last 8-6 years. An engaged coach who will promote the program and develop players (no matter who it is) will already be a HUGE step forward.
  • Not opposed to Brown. I am just wary since he was a part of the previous lackadaisical staff. Maybe that's why he left... who knows.
  • Upvote 2

I totally agree Dr. C.  It is not that I have anything against Brown personally, it is just that he was part of the system that we are hopefully getting out from under.  I do not want someone who will either be Sutton 2.0 or Sutton Light.  Now is the time to change the culture that has been ORU basketball the last several years.  By that, I mean no more "head games" with the players favoring some over others and also someone who truly wants to build a program, not just manage whatever we have at the time.  I too want someone who will  not only be engaged with both promoting the program and developing  ALL the players, but has the courage to "think big" and is willing to do whatever it takes to get our program back on track and to the next level.  I do not want someone who sits back and thinks well we are ORU so there is only so much we can do.  Give me someone with vision and passion who is willing to get engaged and work.  Knowing the X's and O's is a must as well.  Finally, let him surround himself with his staff that is equally as hungry. 

• Upvote 2

I am in total agreement with ORU 82 and Dr. C. Hopefully one of these five can be  this ingredient.

THINK BIG

I totally agree Dr. C.  It is not that I have anything against Brown personally, it is just that he was part of the system that we are hopefully getting out from under.  I do not want someone who will either be Sutton 2.0 or Sutton Light.  Now is the time to change the culture that has been ORU basketball the last several years.  By that, I mean no more "head games" with the players favoring some over others and also someone who truly wants to build a program, not just manage whatever we have at the time.  I too want someone who will  not only be engaged with both promoting the program and developing  ALL the players, but has the courage to "think big" and is willing to do whatever it takes to get our program back on track and to the next level.  I do not want someone who sits back and thinks well we are ORU so there is only so much we can do.  Give me someone with vision and passion who is willing to get engaged and work.  Knowing the X's and O's is a must as well.  Finally, let him surround himself with his staff that is equally as hungry.  

• Upvote 1

If it's not Perry, I wonder if the new coach has to keep him as an assistant...it's an awkward situation for a new coach to have to keep 2 assistants from a previous staff....

I'm pretty sure that they (Mike Carter?) said in the press conference that Perry was given a one year contract to help with the transition. So that means he will be on staff as either the head coach or as assistant. I also assume the other candidates have been made aware of this. 

3 hours ago, ORUalum said:

Agreed. 

However, I've got a sinking feeling that OT told us who the new coach was a week and a half ago.... :(:angry:

I honestly have no clue who the new coach will be, or even if Kyan is still in the running. 

Here's what I do know (or, at least, what I've heard from typically reliable and definitely well-placed people surrounding the program)

1.  The interview candidates this week included (but may not be limited to) Rodney Perry, Kyan Brown, Cory Williams, Paul Mills and Jerome Tang from Baylor, and an unnamed assistant from Iowa State.

2.  Notable names that were interested but did not get an interview included native Tulsan/Arkansas Razorback/NBA veteran Lee Mayberry, along with former USC and Tulsa FastBreaker coach Henry Bibby.

3.  At least one interested party withdrew his name from consideration when he was told the proposed contract was for only 3 years (at least, that would have been the deal for HIM - don't know if there are potentially "different deals for different guys", but that would not surprise me at all).  Considering how bare ORU's cupboard is right now, three years is simply not enough time for ANYONE to rebuild the program, particularly a guy with little or no head coaching experience such as ORU's candidates).

4.  For some strange reason, the powers that be are bent on announcing the new coach today, with a press conference Monday, but it may not happen today at all.  Don't get me started again on the "wisdom" behind a Friday afternoon announcement. :fubar: (being polite/bless their hearts/I'm just sayin').

That's it - stay tuned....

4 minutes ago, ORUIllini said:

If it's not Perry, I wonder if the new coach has to keep him as an assistant...it's an awkward situation for a new coach to have to keep 2 assistants from a previous staff....

I am pretty sure if Perry isn't named head coach there would still be two other assistant coach positions. 

We had three assistants (Perry, Stricker, Sutton) at the beginning of last season.

11 minutes ago, Dr. Cornelius said:

I am pretty sure if Perry isn't named head coach there would still be two other assistant coach positions. 

We had three assistants (Perry, Stricker, Sutton) at the beginning of last season.

Plus Steve Upshaw.... (basketball operations).

12 minutes ago, Old Titan said:

I honestly have no clue who the new coach will be, or even if Kyan is still in the running. 

Here's what I do know (or, at least, what I've heard from typically reliable and definitely well-placed people surrounding the program)

1.  The interview candidates this week included (but may not be limited to) Rodney Perry, Kyan Brown, Cory Williams, Paul Mills and Jerome Tang from Baylor, and an unnamed assistant from Iowa State.

2.  Notable names that were interested but did not get an interview included native Tulsan/Arkansas Razorback/NBA veteran Lee Mayberry, along with former USC and Tulsa FastBreaker coach Henry Bibby.

3.  At least one interested party withdrew his name from consideration when he was told the proposed contract was for only 3 years (at least, that would have been the deal for HIM - don't know if there are potentially "different deals for different guys", but that would not surprise me at all).  Considering how bare ORU's cupboard is right now, three years is simply not enough time for ANYONE to rebuild the program, particularly a guy with little or no head coaching experience such as ORU's candidates).

4.  For some strange reason, the powers that be are bent on announcing the new coach today, with a press conference Monday, but it may not happen today at all.  Don't get me started again on the "wisdom" behind a Friday afternoon announcement. :fubar: (being polite/bless their hearts/I'm just sayin').

That's it - stay tuned....

There appears to be a lot of leaking going on. I wonder if it is on purpose (trying to guide the narrative) or just people sharing information that they know. The only truly informed people are those on the search committee - and if the information getting out is correct, it means someone on that committee is talking. Hmmmm.

I guess it could also be one of the candidates - but their knowledge would be limited....

I'm trying to envision the process "on the 7th Floor" today as Billy Wilson (reportedly) meets with THREE final candidates.

Do you think it's like speed dating, with BW on one side of the table, and the candidate face-to-face on the other, while MC sits in the corner and rings a bell signifying it's time for the next guy to take the chair?

Or is it more like The Dating Game, with all three guys sitting on tall director-style folding chairs, fielding questions from BW like, "If you could describe yourself as an animal, what animal would you be?"

My point being this:  meeting for a few minutes this morning with 3 different candidates with the thought of simply picking one by this afternoon is unbelievable.

We're not talking about test-driving used cars here.  It's the future of your number one brand, and your legacy as an administrator.

No one is going to mind if you take a little time to get it right...

• Upvote 3

13 minutes ago, Old Titan said:

We're not talking about test-driving used cars here.  It's the future of your number one brand, and your legacy as an administrator.

No one is going to mind if you take a little time to get it right...

Wilson/Carter completely bungled the firing of Sutton. Why would we expect them to have a reasonable / traditional hiring of the new coach?

I care more that they get it right rather than when/how they do the roll out. 

But I gotta agree w/OT -- take the weekend and call the final 3 on Sunday afternoon with a decision for a Monday presser.

1 hour ago, ORU82 said:

Sutton 2.0 ---- GREAT post ORU82 :clap: