Forecasting The Next ORU Men's Basketball Coach

Old Titan

Tang is Drew's recruiter.......that would be a HUGE get.

Tang was also the guy Drew got blasted for hiring originally........14 yrs later, it may have been all sour grapes from rival coaches......i don't think Baylor has been any trouble over recruiting issues.

BAYLOR AIDE HAS CRITICS
New assistant defends high school actions

By Jeff Caplan and Danny Robbins, Star-Telegram Staff Writers
Sunday, Sep 28, 2003

SPECIAL TO THE STAR-TELEGRAM VIA HOUSTON CHRONICLE/JOHN VILLAREAL

Baylor's hiring of Jerome Tang as an assistant coach has created a buzz among public high school coaches who question Tang's methods while at Heritage Christian Academy.

At a recent high school basketball tournament in Houston, coaches were buzzing about a new coaching hire at Baylor.

But the talk had nothing to do with the choirboy image of new Baylor head coach Scott Drew.

Instead, Drew's ethical judgment was in question for hiring former Texas private school and summer-league coach Jerome Tang.

While Baylor hopes to move forward after a tumultuous summer, the hiring of Tang has infuriated numerous public high school coaches, who could play a key role in Baylor's ability to recruit and rebuild its battered program.

During a 10-year run as boys basketball coach at Heritage Christian Academy in Cleveland, Texas, Tang was accused of violating the rules of the Texas Association of Private and Parochial Schools, and left a trail of bruised relationships among public school coaches by recruiting public school players via a Houston summer league.

"The article in the [Houston] Chronicle about Jerome getting hired, it went on and on about what a fine Christian guy he was and how this was right in line with Baylor's decision to do things right," said Chris Bailes, the coach at Spring High School north of Houston. "I promise you every public school coach who read that article laughed or threw up. One or the other."

Tang, 36, was a natural nemesis of public school coaches because he worked in the two areas -- summer leagues and private schools -- that public school coaches fear and distrust most. At the same time he was coaching at Heritage Christian, Tang was associated with the Nike-sponsored Houston Hoops, a squad of top college prospects that travels to tournaments across the country to gain exposure to college coaches.

Tang's Heritage Christian program made monumental strides after he began supplementing his roster with former public school players competing for Houston Hoops. The school dominated its Class A counterparts, winning four state championships before leaving TAPPS in 2001 rather than face three years of sanctions for rules violations.

Rules violations?

The TAPPS executive board had informed the school that its basketball program would be prohibited from competing in TAPPS during the 2001-2002 season, barred from the playoffs in 2002-2003 and placed on probation in 2003-2004, said Edd Burleson, TAPPS director.

Burleson said the board believed the school had improperly provided financial aid to basketball players.

"Many schools in TAPPS have need-based [financial aid] opportunities," Burleson said. "The thing our board always says is, 'OK, you've got X number of basketball players receiving this financial aid. How many non-basketball players? [Heritage] couldn't adequately respond to that."

Tang said Heritage Christian had evidence to contest the board's decision but chose not to. He said he understands why some public school coaches dislike him but has no regrets about his actions.

"I wish there was some way I could repair the relationships with the high school coaches and their opinion of me as a person," he said. "But I don't regret helping the young men and the families I've helped, because those young men and families still call me."

Clark Francis, a national basketball recruiting analyst, said Tang's hiring makes sense for Drew, who built the Valparaiso University program by recruiting foreign players.

"Baylor needs to get players," Francis said. "You've got a guy in your backyard who has a basketball factory basically, who can get kids from any place around the country. It's a private school. Players can transfer there internationally. It's a great place to stash kids.

"I would say that's a no-brainer. [Tang] has a tendency to live in the gray area, has done some things that some people question, well, you know, you have to say, 'Hey, you've got to be a straight arrow. This is Baylor and we can't afford any mess-ups.' He's a sharp enough guy that he'll figure it out. If he's not, then you fire him."

Another national recruiting analyst, Bob Gibbons, said Baylor's national reputation is "shot to pieces" and that alienating high school coaches in Texas is a "dangerous undertaking."

"The caliber of kids Baylor should be recruiting are those with good parental guidance," he said. "[Baylor] can't afford to be taking any more of the mavericks. Those tend to be the kids who follow the summer guys."

Explaining the choice

Tang's presence at Baylor represents a twist in an unconventional career.

Although college coaches almost always have college degrees, Tang doesn't. He spent one year at North Central Bible College in Minneapolis and two years at Normandale Community College in Bloomington, Minn., and has been enrolled within the last year at the College of Biblical Studies in Houston.

He worked as a substitute teacher in the Galena Park school district and at a YMCA before being hired at Heritage Christian Academy.

At Heritage Christian, which is affiliated with the Assemblies of God and has an enrollment of 42 in grades nine through 12, he coached the boys basketball team and served as youth pastor.

Reggie Minton, associate executive director of the National Association of Basketball Coaches and former head coach at Air Force, said he was surprised that Baylor would hire an assistant coach who lacked a college degree.

"Somebody gave their blessing down there, and everybody understands the scrutiny that program is under, so I am surprised," he said.

Drew said he explained to the Baylor administration that Tang could not afford to pay for school and allowed his wife to finish her degree first. He said he hopes Tang can finish his degree at Baylor.

Drew said he didn't know Tang before joining Baylor in August. He said he learned of Tang through Hal Pastner, a Houston-area businessman who directs the Houston Hoops summer team.

As Drew sees it, Tang belongs at Baylor because of his demonstrated skill at recruiting basketball players and because he is grounded in Christian values.

"When you meet Jerome Tang, what you notice first is a Christian man, and that's someone who answers to a higher authority than any of us answer to," he said. "The second thing is he is someone with a very caring heart. He goes out of his way to help young people and people in general any way he can."

David Brooks, who was serving as Baylor's interim athletic director when Tang was hired, said he doesn't believe Tang's lack of a degree is a significant issue.

"He's a basketball coach," said Brooks, the university's vice president for finance and administration. "We're not hiring him to teach economics.

"We'd like for every employee at the university, no matter their role, to have a degree. But the truth is, some people come to be in an environment where they can finish their degree."

Brooks said he wasn't aware of the TAPPS case against Heritage Christian when Tang was hired but looked into it after the fact and came to the conclusion that Heritage Christian could have cleared itself.

"If we would have found something, even after the fact, that indicated we were dealing with a person who didn't obey rules, we would have rectified it," he said. "I don't care how many announcements had been made. Given everything that has happened, we're not going to bring somebody into our program who doesn't obey rules."

Tang said he interviewed for other college assistant coaching jobs and was always told he would be hired if he brought one of his players. He said he had an interview set up with Drew's predecessor, Dave Bliss, in 2002 that was canceled after it was reported that a Heritage Christian player, Lamar Hurd, would be attending Oregon State instead of Baylor.

Bliss resigned in August, acknowledging rules violations. An investigation by the NCAA and a Baylor committee is ongoing.

The Hensley case

One of Tang's most notable players at Heritage Christian was Cedric Hensley, now a sophomore at the University of Houston. Hensley came to Heritage in the fall of 2000 after playing his first two high school seasons in Texas City, his hometown.

In his first season at Heritage Christian, Hensley made national headlines when he scored 101 points in a game Heritage Christian won 178-28.

As a sophomore at Texas City, Hensley was the second-leading scorer and leading rebounder on a team that advanced to the regional tournament.

Rick Nordstrom, Texas City's coach at the time, said Tang asked him to allow Hensley to play for Houston Hoops during the spring and summer of 2000. Nordstrom said he told Tang he had reservations because he feared Hensley would be recruited away.

"[Tang] said, 'I promise you, Coach, you have my word that he will be enrolled in Texas City in the fall and I will not let anybody recruit him,' " Nordstrom said.

But Hensley did not return. Instead, he enrolled at Heritage Christian and moved in with Tang.

Nordstrom said he learned that Hensley had moved to Cleveland just days before the start of the school year, finding out from a school worker who saw the player with friends.

Stunned, Nordstrom said, he left messages at Heritage Christian for Tang and Hensley. He said no one called.

"So I called Cedric's [stepdad], and he says, 'Yes, he's living in Cleveland with the coach and two other boys and [Tang] promised to get him a scholarship,' " Nordstrom said.

Nordstrom, now a teacher and golf coach at Cinco Ranch High School in Katy, said the episode was a factor in his decision to leave basketball coaching.

"[Tang] flat-out lied to me," he said. "Jerome won't be able to recruit at all in Texas, let alone the Houston area. It's going to be a joke, is what it's going to be. It's going to turn all of the Houston area off of Baylor. ... It's like he thinks his reputation isn't ever going to catch up to him."

Hensley's stepfather, Curtis Henderson, confirmed that Hensley received financial assistance and lived with Tang while attending Heritage Christian.

"All I know is Cedric came one night and asked us how we feel about him going to a Christian school," Henderson said. "And then, the next couple of nights, coach Tang came and talked to us and told us what the deal was, how it would run and how we wouldn't have to pay any money. He told us some kind of grant was going to pay for his schooling; it was for underprivileged [students]. We went there. They added up everything. All we had to pay was $700."

Tang said Heritage Christian's tuition at the time was about $2,700. He said Hensley and another player lived with him at various times, as did at least one non-Heritage Christian student.

He said he didn't believe he was breaking any rules by helping Hensley.

"My understanding is you couldn't do something for an athlete that you weren't doing for regular students," he said. "Because I had done that [allowed students to live with him] with regular students at the school and kids outside of the school, and there had been a ministry [taking students in] long before I got there, I didn't see it as a violation of the rules."

Other cases

Similar circumstances surrounded the move of another player, Elijah Miller of Lake Charles, La., to Heritage Christian in 2001.

Miller, now a freshman at the University of Houston, attended Boston High School in Lake Charles as a freshman but was ineligible to play that season.

Wayne Williams, then the Boston coach, said he thought it would be a good idea for Miller to go to Houston with a teammate and gain experience against top competition in a summer league. In Houston, Miller did not play on Tang's team but became acquainted with the coach.

"Somehow, an agreement was made to move him, between Jerome and his mom and dad," said Williams, now an elementary school teacher in Lake Charles. "I've never met Jerome. I've talked to him a few times on the phone about him coming to our tournament. I wouldn't let him. Would you?"

Williams said he didn't find out Miller had left Lake Charles until school started and a friend, Jose Gradney, got the word and passed it on.

Basketball wasn't the reason that Miller came to Heritage Christian, Tang said. He said Miller's father was having disciplinary problems with him and saw Heritage as a solution.

Zeke Smith, first-year head coach at Aldine High School north of Houston, said two of his starting players left Aldine just weeks into this school year to enroll at Heritage Christian. Smith said he was never notified by the players, parents or Tang.

Smith said he would be hesitant to give recruiting letters from Baylor to his players because of Tang.

"My thing is, I really don't hold personal vendettas, but if I got the mail, I don't even think I would give it to my kids, knowing what type of guy they are going to be with. A guy that has no loyalty, has no respect for anyone else's programs and is dishonest about everything," he said.

Tang said he doesn't believe he will be shunned at Texas public high schools.

"Baylor is more than Jerome Tang and Scott Drew," he said. "It is a highly thought of academic university with great Christian morals. With everything that Baylor has to benefit a kid, I would believe an adult would think about what's best for the kid and not necessarily be vindictive toward the person."

Drew said it will be a matter of years before the impact of Tang's hiring can be measured.

"If we can't get the top players from the state of Texas, then [Tang's detractors] are right and [his hiring] did affect us," Drew said. "But nobody knows the future, just like I can't promise Baylor is going to win a national championship. We just have to wait and see."

8 hours ago, ORUalum said:

Tang is Drew's recruiter.......that would be a HUGE get.

Tang was also the guy Drew got blasted for hiring originally........14 yrs later, it may have been all sour grapes from rival coaches......i don't think Baylor has been any trouble over recruiting issues.

That article (from 10+ years ago) doesn't bother me at all. West-side schools in Oklahoma have been whining and making the same kind of accusations about Jenks and Union in high school football for a decade plus.

That's not to say I wouldn't have apprehension about taking a coach from Baylor. The search committee should do their homework BUT just because somebody comes from Baylor I don't think they can be painted with the same broad brush as Ken Starr & Art Briles. I know not everybody at ORU should be judged because of Richard Roberts or Billy Wilson.

• Upvote 3

Not sure Tang is worth the headache. Baylor kinda lives in the middle and pushes the limit a bit but hey so do a lot of schools. If Drew is willing to let him go and he is the recruiter that always makes me wonder.

• Upvote 1

It will be interesting to see if the Friday deadline is met or not. I also wonder if there might be some candidates in the mix that we are not aware of. I do like the fact that Rod Perry has stayed busy through this whole process....

• Upvote 1

Not sure about his x's and o's ability, but very impressed with Rod Perry's work ethic.

I think Perry will be around for at least one year - as an assistant at a minimum. think they mentioned that in the press conference. 

1 hour ago, Old Titan said:

Names! I need names!!!

also, that all seems somewhat strange...gonna meet with Billy and a few hours later have a decision...why hasn't he been a part of the entire process?

and lastly, "hope" kinda gives me the impression that we may not hear anything tomorrow....

Update on ORU's coaching search: I'm told top three candidates will meet with the president tomorrow morning, and they "hope" to have an announcement tomorrow afternoon.

Possibly the 2 Assistants from Baylor and Perry? I just hope this is a good hire. I trust we are moving away from Ok State. Just my take. We still had 2 possible Self Assistants (Kansas) that may have been in the mix. Been pretty hush hush except for Baylor Assistants.

http://www.baylorbears.com/sports/m-baskbl/mtt/mills_paul00.html

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, ORUIllini said:

Names! I need names!!!

maybe one of the Tulsa posters can watch Holcomb's 10pm broadcast.  if the 3 names are leaked, i'm guessing he will have them.  (see OT's posts the last couple of days.....Channel 6 seems to have a pretty good source/s inside the athletic dept.)

56 minutes ago, ORUJason said:

Didn't Scott Higgins used to be a sports anchor at Channel 6?

Yes, Jason you're 100% correct but I'm pretty confident the 'source' is NOT Scott Higgins...

ORU needs to take a look at how Grand Canyon University hires coaches...could  learn a few things...Also check out the student section called the Havocs...unreal!

4 hours ago, ORUalum said:

maybe one of the Tulsa posters can watch Holcomb's 10pm broadcast.  if the 3 names are leaked, i'm guessing he will have them.  (see OT's posts the last couple of days.....Channel 6 seems to have a pretty good source/s inside the athletic dept.)

as i was saying.....

• Perry
  • K. Brown
  • Tang
  • Mills
  • Iowa St assistant -- Daniyal Robinson

40 minutes ago, ORUalum said:

as i was saying.....

• Perry
  • K. Brown
  • Tang
  • Mills
  • Iowa St assistant -- Daniy

My preferences in order of first to last out of those five: 

1. Tang (Biggest Splash probably)

2. Robinson (Good resume of Mid-Major experience)

3. Perry (Like what he's doing in the interim role, not sure if timing is right for him to be the main guy)

4. Mills (Guy who has worked his way up the ranks)

5. Brown (The ORU Connection really is the only way he is a candidate right?)

I think I'd be happy with any of the first three. Don't know about Mills. Would not be happy with Brown. 

• Upvote 1