Forecasting The Next ORU Men's Basketball Coach

Old Titan

We need a fresh start. That is no knock against Sutton - just a realization that we have fallen into a rut. The new coach must bring a new perspective and be able to market the program. It will not be easy or happen quickly - so they must have vision, energy and tenacity. 

• Upvote 1

"And the envelope please...."

Paul Mills, Baylor

At least, so I'm told - don't bet the farm.

So, now here lies the question:  will the public/media bother to look into him and his bona fides, or will they just hear "BAYLOR!!" and go screaming off into the night?

Also hearing the money and length of contract is more in line with a lower-tier assistant at a Power 5 school:  three years, under $200K per.

But, you're a head coach at the D-1 level - for some guys, that's all they want.

Can you say "stepping stone"?

well...........hmmmmm

best of luck to Coach Mills.

i hope he can right the ship and 3 or 4 years from now we can look back and say "what a great hire that was"

not sure anyone can say that today. 

i was really pulling for Coach Perry.

• Upvote 1

Good hire I bet. Only time will tell. If the money and length is what OT said, then really can't complain. This is also a really good opportunity for Mills.

2 minutes ago, Old Titan said:

Also hearing the money and length of contract is more in line with a lower-tier assistant at a Power 5 school:  three years, under $200K per.

But. you're a head coach at the D-1 level.

Can you say "stepping stone"?

If he gets us to the NCAA tourney in 2-3 years, I'll gladly be a stepping stone.

• Upvote 4

2 minutes ago, oruvoice said:

If he gets us to the NCAA tourney in 2-3 years, I'll gladly be a stepping stone.

Exactly. 

If he somehow gets ORU to the NCAA tournament in 2-3 years, he should get any job he wants.

I would settle for a top 2 finish in the Summit League regular season race by his third year; that should warrant doubling his salary, but all indications are they wouldn't.

• Upvote 1

Looking at his twitter, Mills seems to fit the bill of a young, energetic, hungry coach that fits ORU's mission and values. 

• Upvote 1

The problem with such a low salary and a short contract is that, with ANY success at all, he becomes a target of even low majors.

Would no else be embarrassed to hear that in two years, after going 18-12, he's a candidate to double his salary at Dallas Baptist or Central Arkansas?

Or, worse yet, to be the number one assistant at a Big XII school? (don't snicker:  ORU has lost head coaches to the assistant ranks before in baseball, and IPFW lost their last basketball head coach to an assistant's gig in the Big 10).

4 minutes ago, Idig32 said:

Looking at his twitter, Mills seems to fit the bill of a young, energetic, hungry coach that fits ORU's mission and values. 

Did he do any of the heavy lifting on recruiting?  All reports seem to indicate that was Tang.  Is he a wizard w/ X's and O's?  I guess time will tell.

2 minutes ago, ORUalum said:

LOL - how much "talk" can there be for such a minimal contract? 

Hatchback or sedan on the loaner car?