Forecasting The Next ORU Men's Basketball Coach

Old Titan

31 minutes ago, ORU82 said:

Again, and no offense to any of the above, please do not pick someone just because they have had some type of connection to ORU.  Pick the best possible candidate even if they have never stepped foot on Campus.  Pick the best possible candidate who can recruit, retain, develop, manage, grow and coach the team to Summit League championships and NCAA post season appearances.

Completely agree with you '82 with one critically important consideration...someone without any historical ORU connection may not quickly adapt to all that makes ORU unique.  So most things being equal, significant advantage candidates who have a relevant link to ORU in their past (or present). 

48 minutes ago, RMarsh said:

Completely agree with you '82 with one critically important consideration...someone without any historical ORU connection may not quickly adapt to all that makes ORU unique.  So most things being equal, significant advantage candidates who have a relevant link to ORU in their past (or present). 

I just hope they don't have an Oklahoma State connection. 

Bringing someone in who is disconnected from ORU may not be a bad thing. It would be great to get a coach who doesn't already have a limited perception of what our program is capable of. More than anything I want someone who sees the glass half full. 

• Upvote 3

I agree. Someone who can sell the attributes of the school and not focus on the challenges. And someone who is a salesman/promoter - to the students, alumni, community, etc.

• Upvote 5

1 minute ago, ORUTerry said:

I agree. Someone who can sell the attributes of the school and not focus on the challenges. And someone who is a salesman/promoter - to the students, alumni, community, etc.

Yes!! Amen!

I wonder if interviews are being held at an airport hotel in Dallas or another similar city where candidates can fly in and out quickly. 

Since we haven't heard any news about candidates being interviewed on campus, something like this is a definite possibility.

ORU is on a tight budget....maybe interviews are being held at a Waffle House somewhere off I-44......TheEagleman is hoping for a surprise name that will bring some sweeping changes to ORU basketball.....:oru-logo:

I too agree with getting someone who does not have Oklahoma State connections and also want someone who will bring sweeping changes to our program.  I think it is important that the new coach and his staff do not start out with the idea that only so much can be accomplished because we are "ORU".  I either heard an interview or read one of Mark Few recently talking about his time at Gonzaga.  To make a long story short that is a culture they had to address at Gonzaga.  In other words they had to overcome the mind set that we are small Gonzaga who has all these limitations because we are small Gonzaga and start to think big.   It took time, but you have to start somewhere.  I do not want someone who comes in thinking there is only so much that can be done and therefore I will not even try.  I want someone who realizes that he has a golden opportunity to create and build a highly successful program that will still be around years to come.  Give me someone who is hungry and aggressive.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, ORU82 said:

I too agree with getting someone who does not have Oklahoma State connections and also want someone who will bring sweeping changes to our program.  I think it is important that the new coach and his staff do not start out with the idea that only so much can be accomplished because we are "ORU".  I either heard an interview or read one of Mark Few recently talking about his time at Gonzaga.  To make a long story short that is a culture they had to address at Gonzaga.  In other words they had to overcome the mind set that we are small Gonzaga who has all these limitations because we are small Gonzaga and start to think big.   It took time, but you have to start somewhere.  I do not want someone who comes in thinking there is only so much that can be done and therefore I will not even try.  I want someone who realizes that he has a golden opportunity to create and build a highly successful program that will still be around years to come.  Give me someone who is hungry and aggressive.

Passionate, tireless and agressive...someone who exudes confidence and has proven to make everyone around him better...100% agree!  Hope he's in the mix and let's hire that guy!! 

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, I am Eli said:

I have a source that is telling me that Crutchfield pulled his name out of the race.

Does anyone have a "source" that can confirm Crutch entered the race in the first place?

Very impressive resume. If there was interest, he's definitely worth an interview to see if he's a good fit with ORU's culture/values. 

If Maligi is interested....SNAP HIM UP!!!. Anybody who spent a couple years with Larry Brown must know how to coach the right way....:clap:

Wonder if he reached out to us? He references Hebrews 11:1 in his Twitter account. 

John Holcomb reporting tonight that former ORU assistant Cory Williams is "no longer in the mix" and that applicants interviewing this week include two assistants from Baylor named Jerome Tang and Paul Mills. 

Who is feeding Holcomb this information - and why? Has to be someone on the inside.