Coaching Carousel 2011

vcboy2000

Supposedly Mizzou has made an offer to Purdue coach Matt Painter. Although I personally think it's unlikely that Painter leaves his alma mater, there are reports indicating that he's leaning in that direction.

I'm a little surprised rumors of SS to Mo. State haven't started yet.

Supposedly Mizzou has made an offer to Purdue coach Matt Painter. Although I personally think it's unlikely that Painter leaves his alma mater, there are reports indicating that he's leaning in that direction.

I'm a little surprised rumors of SS to Mo. State haven't started yet.

Man, after the buzz saw that that placed turned out to be for Barry Hinson, I'd think Scott wouldn't want any part of that action - particularly if they haven't upped the ante much over what they were paying Coach B.

Somebody get on the phone to Andrew Wilson from East Central H.S. RIGHT NOW!

"Drew - we love ya baby. Come join fellow Cardinal (and ex-MSU commit) Ken Holdman at ORU!!"

• Upvote 1

Man, after the buzz saw that that placed turned out to be for Barry Hinson, I'd think Scott wouldn't want any part of that action - particularly if they haven't upped the ante much over what they were paying Coach B.

Good point, tmh!

Somebody get on the phone to Andrew Wilson from East Central H.S. RIGHT NOW!

"Drew - we love ya baby. Come join fellow Cardinal (and ex-MSU commit) Ken Holdman at ORU!!"

I have a feeling that the phone lines are being worked pretty hard tonight.

Here they come...

GSwaim (@GSwaim)

3/27/11 7:38 PM

Great hire by #Vols getting Martin before everyone else found out what a steal he was. Now #MSUBears go get ORU's Scott Sutton...great fit.

Scott looks like he's F-bombing the official in that photo on the website...lol....hey, if Sutton goes to Mizzou...how about ORU hiring Bruce Pearl???....TheEagleman thinks it would be intersting to see a jewish man coaching at ORU....I like it!.... :P

I have to admit, Eagleman, that I had to resist the urge to do a little photoshopping on

Here they come...

GSwaim (@GSwaim)

3/27/11 7:38 PM

Great hire by #Vols getting Martin before everyone else found out what a steal he was. Now #MSUBears go get ORU's Scott Sutton...great fit.

Greg Swaim says some goofy stuff.

No way Missouri State is going to hire another ORU coach after firing Barry Hinson just three years ago.

Swaim is a legend in his own mind. Why would Sutton go to Missouri State - even if they asked him?

Swaim is a legend in his own mind. Why would Sutton go to Missouri State - even if they asked him?

The team has averaged 25 wins while playing in the Missouri Valley conference over the last 2 years and were the MVC champs and top seed in MVC tourney. If they weren't losing many players (which I don't know how many of their players were seniors) then the next coach might be walking into a situation with a high probability of success. It only took Cuonzo Martin 2 good years (3 overall) at Missouri State before he was snatched up by Tennessee. Scott recruits Missouri very well and clearly has connections in the state. Maybe they will offer a lot of $$$. Missouri State is only 3 hours away from grandma and grandpa so his kids could still see Eddie and Patsy on a regular basis. If Scott likes living in Tulsa, then he would like Springfield because it is basically a smaller version of Tulsa. I don't think it's absurd to see why he might be interested.

At the same time, it can be a real challenge to follow a coach who was beloved and successful. If the team doesn't play as well, then the fans are on you from the start. The MVC is a tougher conference than the Summit, so it is even a greater challenge to succeed in a tougher conference. Missouri State doesn't really seem to qualify as the "really special" job that it would take to lure Scott away from ORU. ORU as a university is a perfect fit for Scott Sutton and he is beloved here and makes good money. He gets to coach with his best friends and probably some of that would change if he made a change. At any other university, there would be A LOT more pressure to win. His team will probably be the favorite in the Summit League to return to the dance next year. If he is going to take on that pressure and the risk of getting ran out of town if you don't succeed, would it be worth it to leave the comfortable situation of ORU for Missouri State rather than say a Big 12 job.

Who knows if the assistant coaches are happy as can be at ORU or if any of them would like to see Scott make a move because maybe it will mean a move-up for them as well. These are always difficult decisions because there are so many things to consider and so many other people that are affected by the decision you make.

Of course, who knows if Missouri State has any interest in Scott at all. Missouri State is probably a slightly better job than Bradley and Scott reportedly turned down a generous sum from Bradley just a few days ago. I think Missouri State would be crazy not to look at Scott though. He has ran a successful and squeaky clean program for the last 12 years and has experience recruiting in the main Missouri State recruiting base area.

Missouri State can't/won't offer much more than what ORU pays Sutton.... or at least if I remember what they paid Barry Hinson during his stint there.

Missouri State can't/won't offer what ORU pays Sutton....

Missouri State has over 20,000 students and a nearly brand new arena in which I assume they draw pretty well. Especially coming off 2 very successful seasons, I would have to think that the athletic department would have some $$$ to offer. I certainly want Scott to stay at ORU, but I'm also trying to be realistic. However, if Missouri State won't put up big $$$ then there's no way Scott would go there.

I'm actually pretty concerned about the Missouri opening now that Cuonzo Martin is off to Tennessee. I don't see Painter leaving the Big 10 and his alma mater for Missouri. That move wouldn't make sense to me at all. I will be very surprised if that happens. So, who else is on Missouri's list if Painter and Martin are out of the picture? Maybe the Wichita State coach?

And what about OU? Castiglione pulled Jeff Capel out of nowhere 5 years ago, but I wonder where OU is looking now. Clearly Buzz Williams is out of the picture. OU is a high-risk, low-reward situation right now for almost any other BCS coach. Castiglione doesn't seem like the type to take an assistant from a big-time program. He wants a coach with previous head coaching experience. So he will almost certainly have to pick from the mid-major ranks. With Sampson and Capel both being associated with recruiting violations and NCAA investigations, Castligione will have to pick a coach with a squeaky clean reputation. Scott seems like an obvious fall-back option to me if 1-2 more candidates don't pan out. I know that some have said that because he is a Sutton OU would never even consider him, but he is clearly his own man and is a successful coach on his own apart from his father's legacy. I would like to hear more about why OU would never consider him.

There are so many jobs open in our vicinity right now, I just hope we still have Scott at ORU by the time the dust settles. We love you Scott!!!

. . . At the same time, it can be a real challenge to follow a coach who was beloved and successful. If the team doesn't play as well, then the fans are on you from the start . . .

Boy - sounds like a perfect description of Barry Hinson.

And if you read that article, Martin left the cupboards empty. Missouri State has a lot of departing players that contributed a lot to the team's success this year. It will certainly be a rebuilding year for whoever takes over the job.

Scott would be taking a pay cut at Missouri State.

In related news, Bradley has hired Kent State head coach Gino Ford.

Also, Marquette is prepared to make Buzz Williams a long-term deal to keep him from going to Oklahoma, but if the Sooners offer over 2 million a year, he's going to Norman. If he stays at Marquette, though, Wichita State's Greg Marshall is reportedly Plan B. In that case, would WSU and Scott Sutton flirt again?