Coaching Carousel 2010

Dr. Cornelius

Who's next in line for Jays?

The college basketball coaching grapevine crackled Saturday as word spread about Dana Altman's expected move from Creighton to Oregon.

By early evening, at least six names emerged as potential interested parties either through direct contact with The World-Herald under the agreement of speaking anonymously, or through friends in the business calling on their behalf.

• Kevin McKenna, head coach, Indiana State:

McKenna, 51, is a former Creighton player (1977-81) who spent six years in the NBA and later was an Altman assistant at CU for nine years in two stretches.

He has been a head coach in the Continental Basketball Association and at the University of Nebraska at Omaha. McKenna has gone 15-16, 11-21 and 17-15 at Indiana State, where his graduate manager this season was Jordan Altman, coach Altman's oldest son. McKenna is married with two grown children.

• Scott Sutton, head coach, Oral Roberts:

Sutton, 39, was born in Omaha at the time his father, Eddie, was Creighton's head coach. Sutton has gone 204-139 in 11 seasons at ORU. He led the school to three straight NCAA tourneys (2006, '07, '08).

Sutton has finished first or second in league play seven times and won 20 games or more four of the past five seasons. He is married with three daughters under age 10.

• Greg McDermott, head coach, Iowa State:

McDermott, 45, had a successful five-year run in the Missouri Valley at Northern Iowa, making the NCAA tourney three times (2004, '05, '06). Before that, he coached at Wayne State and North Dakota State.

In four seasons at Iowa State, McDermott is 59-68 with no winning records. Tension between McDermott and ISU Athletic Director Jamie Pollard grew last season, according to two Big 12 coaches with knowledge of the situation. McDermott is married with three children.

• Reggie Theus, assistant, Minnesota Timberwolves:

The 52-year-old Theus' name emerged as a potential successor to Altman in 2007 when Altman took the Arkansas job for one day before returning.

Theus, a California native, played college ball at UNLV, then spent 13 years in the NBA. He has been a college head coach (New Mexico State) and assistant (Louisville) and an NBA head coach (Sacramento) and assistant (Minnesota). He is married with three children.

• Steve McClain, assistant coach, Indiana:

McClain, 47, is a Chadron State graduate and a native of Orient, Iowa. He was head coach at Wyoming for nine seasons (157-115) before becoming an assistant at Colorado. McClain joined the staff at Indiana earlier this month. He is married with one child.

• Barry Hinson, former head coach, Missouri State:

After coaching nine years at Missouri State (169-117), Hinson has spent the past two at Kansas as director of external relations. He is married with two grown children.

full article: http://www.omaha.com/article/20100424/B ... e-for-jays

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Old Titan

• ORUTerry

• tmh8286

• theeagleman5

Would ORU "sweeten the pot" if Creighton came knocking at Sutton's door?....I would certainly hope so.... :sweat:

Here's what I'm getting from the Bluejays message board.

mizzoujay

"I agree with you that Tubby won't leave Minnisota for CU but I think McDermott would. Greg is basically a "dead man walking" next year. Everyone at Iowa State knows he has to win next year and there is no way in #$%& he can win next year with the talent he has coming back. The Cyclones were bad this year and they lose their three best players. I would be surprised next year if ISU wins more than 3 games in the Big 12. Iowa State couldn't finish in the top half of the MVC with the team they will put on the court next year."

"This being said Greg McDermott is not my first choice to be our new coach. I would rather see McKenna or Sutton."

Duke1Agn

Gaudio is an awful in-game coach. Don't want him.

Gillespie is a great coach and a great drinker. Don't want him."

Scott Sutton, folks. He's the guy we want.

indywriter

"Will be interesting to see if the Jays go "young" or bring in a Bob McKillip/Fran McCaffery type.

I'd put McKillip on my list (just for fun, I don't think he'd leave), Stu Morrill, the guy at Weber State, I think Dino Guaudio would be worth pursuing a bit. Who else.....

I think Barry Hinson isn't a bad idea. Even though some guy called me a puke I think Todd Bozeman isn't a bad move either. Scott Sutton surely is a good candidate as well. Somebody previously mentioned the guy at Murray State -- that's pure genious right there. He'd be really good.

I'm sure there are more out there. I'd look at top assistants at quality programs, too. Gonzaga, Xavier, Marquette. Also, how about the Groce guy from Ohio -- a Matta disciple."

http://creighton.rivals.com/showmsg.asp ... 09&style=2

I would imagine McKenna would be at the top of their list; but if he says "no", then all bets are off on who they might go after.

Here's a dark horse to consider: NDSU's Saul Phillips. :o

I would imagine McKenna would be at the top of their list....

I think it might be McKenna too given his ties to the university - but his resume pales in comparison to Sutton. Let's hope they go with a CU guy.

TheEagleman finds it hard to believe from all the comments written on this board over the past year or so that Coach Sutton would leave ORU for Creighton....from what I have gleaned, Scott and his family love the ORU atmosphere, his working conditions and are comfortable living in Tulsa, OK.....while I understand the lure of a MVC school calling and more $$$, Sutton has been characterized as a not really that money motivated, plus this isn't a BCS school here....Omaha, NE?....ugh!...I would think that if it came down to a few more dollars, Mart Green could find a way to fatten the Coach's paycheck....he's earned it.... ;)

Would ORU "sweeten the pot" if Creighton came knocking at Sutton's door?....I would certainly hope so.... :sweat:

TheEagleman finds it hard to believe from all the comments written on this board over the past year or so that Coach Sutton would leave ORU for Creighton....from what I have gleaned, Scott and his family love the ORU atmosphere, his working conditions and are comfortable living in Tulsa, OK.....while I understand the lure of a MVC school calling and more $$$, Sutton has been characterized as a not really that money motivated, plus this isn't a BCS school here....Omaha, NE?....ugh!...I would think that if it came down to a few more dollars, Mart Green could find a way to fatten the Coach's paycheck....he's earned it.... ;)

Eagleman - I agree with most of your second post, which is why I completely disagree with your first post. If we're going to keep Scott Sutton, it will be for other reasons than the money. From what I have seen, our coaches are reasonably compensated for ORU's size of school and low/mid-major conference affiliation. If Scott believes he can fulfill his career goals with the resources provided him at ORU, then he should stay. If not, then he should go. We can't compete with Creighton for $$$ or Conference prestige - so why should ORU "sweeten the pot", especially when we don't have the excess financial resources to do so.

Furthermore, your characterization of Mart Green as "ORU's Moneytree" that we can run to whenever we need an infusion of cash is maddening. The Green family has been a WONDERFUL benefactor for the University that has helped ORU get back to respectability, and created hope for the long-term future. However, it is now up to ORU alumni and supporters to "stand in the gap" and take the University to the next level. While I will be eternally grateful to the Green family for the blessings they've provided to my alma mater, it would be my hope that they would never have to give another $ to the school.

(the) characterization of Mart Green as "ORU's Moneytree" that we can run to whenever we need an infusion of cash is maddening. The Green family has been a WONDERFUL benefactor for the University that has helped ORU get back to respectability, and created hope for the long-term future. However, it is now up to ORU alumni and supporters to "stand in the gap" and take the University to the next level. While I will be eternally grateful to the Green family for the blessings they've provided to my alma mater, it would be my hope that they would never have to give another $ to the school.

+ 1 bazillion.

Whenever I hear or read someone affiliated with ORU say, "let's just get Mart to pay for it", it makes me want to punch them in the mouth. :punch:

TheEagleman shouldn't have mentioned Mart Green personally....sorry....I certainly understand that every time ORU needs money for something, it's not up to him to fork it over....so, i definitely misspoke there....all I was trying to say that if it meant coming up with a few more dollars to make sure that Coach Sutton is "fairly compensated", then ORU should take care of the man who has been very loyal and been the best ambassador for basketball the university has had in a long long time...maybe ever....would hate to lose him to Creighton....agreed that $$$ will likely not be the reason he leaves....it will come down to his personal goals and the level on which he prefers to compete and recruit....besides, TheEagleman doesn't think he will leave anyway....let them take Barry Hinson.... |( .......and TheEagleman certainly doesn't want to get punched in the mouth by OT....although if that happened, TheEagleman would be happy to donate a substantial part of the civil suit judgment to ORU..... :P

I would be very surprised to see Barry Hinson, the fire-and-brimstone son of a Baptist minister, as the head coach of a Jesuit school such as Creighton.

TheEagleman shouldn't have mentioned Mart Green personally....sorry....I certainly understand that every time ORU needs money for something, it's not up to him to fork it over....so, i definitely misspoke there....all I was trying to say that if it meant coming up with a few more dollars to make sure that Coach Sutton is "fairly compensated", then ORU should take care of the man who has been very loyal and been the best ambassador for basketball the university has had in a long long time...maybe ever....would hate to lose him to Creighton....agreed that $$$ will likely not be the reason he leaves....it will come down to his personal goals and the level on which he prefers to compete and recruit....besides, TheEagleman doesn't think he will leave anyway....let them take Barry Hinson.... |( .......and TheEagleman certainly doesn't want to get punched in the mouth by OT....although if that happened, TheEagleman would be happy to donate a substantial part of the civil suit judgment to ORU..... :P

Well said, Eagleman.

Greg McDermott leaves for Creighton

Iowa State Head Basketball Coach, Greg McDermott, has reportedly accepted the head coaching job at Creighton University in Omaha.

McDermott spent 6 seasons as the head coach for the Wayne State Wildcats before accepting a job at North Dakota State. He spent 1 season for the Bison before becoming the head coach of the University of Northern Iowa, where he made the NCAA Division 1 Basketball Tournament the last 3 seasons.

In the past 4 seasons as the for the Cyclones, he has compiled a 59-68 record.

His new contract with the Blue Jays is reportedly a 10 year deal worth 9 million dollars.

http://www.kmeg.com/Global/story.asp?S=12373097

Yeah, but now what does Iowa State do?

Would have to be quite a blow to their Big XII ego: losing their head coach to a mid-major school. Makes you think he might have been on thin ice there, not having done much in four years in Ames.

A bit of a strange pick, if you ask me - could signal Creighton's desire to return to their "farm boy" recruiting philosophy of the past, in contrast to the "national" approach Altman had developed in recent years.

Wow.... what an underwhelming choice. If he could do the job at Iowa State, what makes them think McDermott can perform at Creighton?

Iowa State picks new coach...... wow

Hoiberg hire at ISU a gamble that could work, or fail miserably

April 27, 2010

By Gary Parrish

CBSSports.com Senior Writer

This is either brilliant or stupid.

And I'm not sure which.

It's either incredible vision or a Saturday Night Live skit.

And I'm not sure which.....

Link to Full Story