Coaching Carousel 2010

Dr. Cornelius

didn't see this one coming...

James Dickey to Be Named New Cougars Coach

HOUSTON - FOX 26 Sports has learned that former Texas Tech University coach James Dickey will be named the next head basketball coach at the University of Houston.

He replaces Tom Penders, who resigned last Monday after six years on the job......

http://www.myfoxhouston.com/dpp/sports/ ... gars-coach

Talk about your retreads - can't imagine this is going to send Houston fans into a season-ticket buying frenzy.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Old Titan

• ORUTerry

• tmh8286

• theeagleman5

May be....but not as odd as the pick UTEP made....Tim Floyd is downright criminal based on his behavior at USC.....how desperate are they?.... |(

Billy Clyde maybe just sitting back, waiting for something a little better to open up.

I wonder where Norm Roberts might end up? Is there any room on the bench at KU?

I also wonder if Barry Hinson is in the running for a head coaching job.

Really strange pick for Houston! Didn't see this one coming at all!

This whole thing smacks of a "hiring service gone bad" - or a one-man search committee (ie, the 43-year-old first-year AD from the University of Akron) who should have gotten some advice.

I wonder where Norm Roberts might end up? Is there any room on the bench at KU?

I also wonder if Barry Hinson is in the running for a head coaching job.

I'm sure Self would love to have his former top assistant back, but he doesn't have any room. When Robert's was at KU he was considered one of the top recruiting assistants in the nation. He's going to make a great assistant for someone. I believe Roberts was replaced by Danny Manning, who has grown into a great assistant.

I could see Hinsons name coming up, but probably not in any D-1 jobs. Former KU player Brett Ballard (30 y/o) just left his role as administrative asst/video coordinator (was on the staff for 8 years) to take the head job at NAIA Baker U.

I'm sure Self would love to have his former top assistant back, but he doesn't have any room. When Robert's was at KU he was considered one of the top recruiting assistants in the nation. He's going to make a great assistant for someone. I believe Roberts was replaced by Danny Manning, who has grown into a great assistant.

I could see Hinsons name coming up, but probably not in any D-1 jobs. Former KU player Brett Ballard (30 y/o) just left his role as administrative asst/video coordinator (was on the staff for 8 years) to take the head job at NAIA Baker U.

Barry did a great job at Missouri State, regardless of their neurotic fans. He had them with an RPI of belwo 50 most seasons. His replacement took them all the way to 90 this year. Hope they're happy.

Very true TMH. I think Barry is almost hurting his future coaching chances having the current job he has (making sure Bill Self has Diet Coke and peanuts in his hotel room). You'd have to think he, and even Self, are out looking for assistant jobs at top programs for him.

Talk about your retreads - can't imagine this is going to send Houston fans into a season-ticket buying frenzy.

Don't be surprised to see Sean Sutton on the bench at the University of Houston next season with Jim Dickey. Dickey has been loyal beyond comparison to the Suttons and had several opportunities to take a head coaching job at other Universities - especially in the transition between Eddie and Sean at OSU - but family and loyalty got in the way and Jim Dickey stayed through thick-and-thin. Sean is a very good recruiter and, once he gets stablized with his personal issues, he should rebound and be back on a bench in the next year or so.

Good point Bogus. I like the Suttons. In my opinion they are good ppl. Sure Ed and Sean have had their issues but they've always came accross as good ppl. And Scott was only nice to me when I met him. Kind of interesting: I was walking out of the arena when ORU lost to IUPUI at the Summit Tourney and I darn near run into Sutton. He was a bit confused b/c on that night they were in a different locker room area than the night before. I was going to tell him good game and to take care, safe trip, etc (like I did to my buddy "Eli") but I could tell he was pretty upset, so I shut up and let him be. Good guy tho and twice the man that Roy Williams was when I met Roy.

Wake Forest and Clemson are now open too. DePaul was filled by the departing Clemson coach. Rutgers is firing their coach today. Oregon is still open - as is Siena, Charlotte, Wisconsin-Green Bay, Marshall and Holy Cross. Lots of dominoes still to fall.

List of open positions: Link

Oliver Purnell leaving Clemson for DePaul is baffling from both sides. Maybe he was getting some heat or maybe he jumped at the money DePaul offered.... And DePaul must have been really desperate to get a name in there. Not sure they make any move in the Big East. Also, word is Purnell notified his players via text message.

From the Seattle Times yesterday:

Stevens signs 12-year deal with Butler: Coach Brad Stevens, 33, who came within a buzzer-beating shot of leading Butler to the NCAA men's championship, signed a 12-year deal Thursday that extends through the 2021-22 season.

Team spokesman Jim McGrath declined to say how much the deal was worth, though Stevens had a total compensation package of $750,000 last season. Athletic director Barry Collier acknowledged Stevens was in line for a pay raise.

The move should end, at least temporarily, speculation that Stevens would jump to a BCS conference school. Jobs at Oregon and two ACC schools, Clemson and Wake Forest, are open.

• 2 weeks later...
Looks like Dana Altman might be Oregon's new guy. Not good folks... not good.

While Scott's name is being mentioned on the Creighton message boards, I think the landscape has changed in Omaha since Altman's flirtations with Arkansas three years ago:

1. Scott makes more money now at ORU than he did then, though I doubt it's still anywhere near what Creighton could offer.

2. ORU is coming off two seasons without postseason play; Scott's star may not shine quite as bright as it did in the midst of the four straight conference titles.

3. Kevin McKenna, highly popular former player and assistant coach at Creighton, has done a nice job at Indiana State and would be a natural choice for the Blue Jays now.